Author Topic: Safe to remove propane tank?  (Read 7435 times)

holicanmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Safe to remove propane tank?
« on: October 13, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »
I have a property with an existing propane tank that was previously used for the range in the kitchen.  The current range is electric and I have no desire to switch back to propane since it is a rental so I want to get rid of the tank and seal up the hole they cut in the exterior wall.

The tank is outside, about 5 feet from the exterior kitchen wall and the line runs under a concrete walkway and then up out of the ground and into the house, I can see the hole in the wall and the line just 2-3 inches above the grass.

There is no company name on the tank or I'd call and ask them to remove it.

If I make sure the valve on the tank is closed can I safely pull the line out of the house and under the concrete somehow?  If so, what do I then do with the tank? 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Safe to remove propane tank?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
If the tank valve is off, you can safely remove everything attached to the valve, regulator, piping etc.... Call your local propane supplier and see if they will remove the tank for you.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
If so, what do I then do with the tank?

Well, where do you live?  And how much propane is left in it?

One option is to call around for propane companies and see who is willing to remove it.

Another option is to list it on Craigslist, "Free if you can move it."

A slightly more entertaining, if hazardous, option is to move it away from anything combustible, light a flare in front of it, step back to about 100 yards, and put a 50 caliber round through the end of the tank.  And then hope you don't get a BLEVE.  :D

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
If so, what do I then do with the tank?

Well, where do you live?  And how much propane is left in it?

One option is to call around for propane companies and see who is willing to remove it.

Another option is to list it on Craigslist, "Free if you can move it."

A slightly more entertaining, if hazardous, option is to move it away from anything combustible, light a flare in front of it, step back to about 100 yards, and put a 50 caliber round through the end of the tank.  And then hope you don't get a BLEVE.  :D

When I think of an old propane tank, I think "let's build a smoker."

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »

If I make sure the valve on the tank is closed can I safely pull the line out of the house and under the concrete somehow?  If so, what do I then do with the tank?

Leave the line alone.  No tank connected: no hazard.  You can find a cap for the line connection.  It is a future sales feature (plumbed for LP).

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »

You could also add a little tannerite to the equasion!

holicanmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

It wasn't exactly "plumbed for LP", all the previous owner did was cut a hole in the side of the house and stick a copper pipe through it :)

I managed to pull the copper line out and pull it up from the yard, it only went under one paver and was buried 1-2" down.

I sealed up the hole in the siding and sheathing and now have a propane tank to list on CL!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!