Author Topic: replacing shower faucet and handles with PEX  (Read 3426 times)

kamas

• Stubble
replacing shower faucet and handles with PEX
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
I am trying to remove and replace the shower handle and copper pipe. The attached pictures show what it looks like from front and back side. I want to cut out that copper pipe above the red-handle-valves and replace it with PEX so make it easy.

Is everything I need to know and learn how to do this job available on this link?

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/23/how-to-become-a-kickass-plumber-with-pex/

any tips and pointers?

I dont want to be stuck without a shower waiting for shipping for 2 weeks because I forgot to order some PEX parts.

And does anyone know a good shower faucet replacement to get for this? When you buy a shower faucet, does it come with that copper assembly you can see on the back of the handles, in the rear picture?
Do i need to order it separately, like this one:
http://bit.ly/1bPDva9
Pfister 01-31XA Rough In Valve for 01 Series Triple Handle Tub and Shower Trims
- Item #: BCI1696942
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:47:40 PM by kamas »

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: replacing shower faucet and handles with PEX
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
The shower faucet assembly comes as one piece--the two faucets connected to the cross in the center--and the kit will also come with the shower head parts. You supply the long vertical section of pipe to connect the showerhead and the cross, as well as pipe to cap off the bottom of the cross. If you go to a hardware store they can help you, this is the one plumbing job I've done and got a lot of help at Home Depot.

The trick in your situation will be attaching PEX pipe to the attachment points on the new shower faucet. I don't know exactly how that's done... it might depend on the shower faucet you get.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: replacing shower faucet and handles with PEX
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
To connect PEX will depend on the connections to the faucet assembly.

It will either has 1/2" threaded connections.. In which case you will use an adaptor from the 1/2" thread to 1/2" PEX.. the PEX then crimps on this adaptor.

if the faucet has sweated connections then you will buy sweat to PEX connections.

Both of these types will be on the shelf at your big box store.

Note of connections are sweated (soldered) remember to remove the guts of the faucet or you will likely melt the rubber o rings inside it.

Oh there is really no reason for the isolation valves, your local codes may require them but they serve no real use.

Frank

Frank

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!