Author Topic: Replacing Fixtures & Valve Stems on 1947 Bathtub  (Read 4609 times)

Tecmo Super Bowl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Zig zagging to FIRE
Replacing Fixtures & Valve Stems on 1947 Bathtub
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »
Help save a pink bathroom! 

My house is a 1947 brick tank bungalow, with red roof and pink bathroom for good measure.

Bought it foreclosed, because dollaz.

I have no plumbing or handyman know-how other than the other small projects I've done on this house.

The basics:

The tub is an old porcelain one (drain says Standard) in nasty shape.  The hot water fixtures and diverter both leak.  The faucet is just nasty.  I can't figure out how to take the fixtures (Kohler) completely off.  Ideally this will all be done while limiting damage to the tiles.

Questions:

1.  How the hell can I take off these fixtures?  They are such a strange shape that no tool I own fits.  Strap wrench?  They also seem to be welded to the pink tile with 67 years of gunk.
2.  Is replacing the valve stems idiotic for a DIYer of my lowly caliber?  Diverter?  Should I just stop and call a plumber? 
3.  Any tips for replacing valve stems?  I'm assuming that will fix the leakiness.
4.  Some turd burglar thought it wise to install a nasty sliding door.  I ripped part of it out but am now stuck with these little rivet things, and also a couple tiles that popped off.  I am thinking I try to pry out the rivet and glue the tiles back in place.  Is that sound?

Thanks in advance!

Tecmo Super Bowl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Zig zagging to FIRE
Re: Replacing Fixtures & Valve Stems on 1947 Bathtub
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
:)

chuckaluck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »
Good for you for having the "I can do it" attitude.  When I am confronted with a home improvement project that I either don't know a lot about or have not done in a long time, my first go to these days is YouTube.  Actually type in what you want to do "Replace Kohler faucet" or "replace Standard drain", etc.  There are so many folks out (pros and amateurs alike) that provide so many helpful hints.  Some are excellent, and some are not so good.  You should watch at least a few videos of each procedure before you even think about picking up a tool.  Most are 10 to 15 minutes long.  Watching these videos will give you an excellent idea if what you want to do is within your skill set.  Also, they'll let you know the types of tools you will need.  You may still have to call a plumber, but at least you'll know what is involved.  Good luck my friend.

Tecmo Super Bowl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Zig zagging to FIRE
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
Thanks Chuck.  I have been doing quite a bit of research since my first post.  Stuck again, but I guess I made some progress.  I took off the fixtures with disregard for marring since they were already old and nasty, using channel locks.  I was able to just barely pinch the ends where the cone shape was less extreme.

Having done more investigating, it looks like it might be call-a-plumber-time.  The new 3-handle sets seem to all require you install the manufacturer's valve.  I have access to the current valve, but it is through a very tiny cupboard.  It looks like this kind of job involves cutting the pipes coming off of the valve and then soldering new ones in there to fit the new valve.  This is way outside of my comfort zone.

So, even though I've spent a lot of time and energy on this project (with almost no results), I'll still have to shell out the dough for a plumber.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
You should be able to completely rebuild the existing manifold with new valves and seats.  Identify the brand (may be on the valves, if not, take them into a plumbing supply place or do some more Google-fu).  Often the brand will be cast into the manifold as well. 

If it's original, it will probably be an old American brand that you can still get parts for.  If it's a Gerber, say, you can get a complete kit with new valves, seats, handles, trim and faucet for about $40.  I just did this at one of my houses. 

Cut the water off, the valves just unscrew (often with a big socket style tool you can buy cheaply at the hardware store).  Behind the valves in the manifold, there are usually brass seats that also unscrew, this time with a specialized seat tool (basically an "L" shaped steel piece with a tapered square end that fits into the seat).  Put your new parts in, enjoy leak free plumbing and a sense of badassity.  :-)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:57:56 PM by kendallf »

Tecmo Super Bowl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Zig zagging to FIRE
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:58:47 PM »
Wow, thanks Kendalf!

I had kind of given up on it, but due to my procrastinating nature, have not called the plumber yet.  In recent days I felt like maybe I could do what you're saying.  Now that you have confirmed it and given clear steps and confidence to a timid-wannabe-plumber, I think it is time to do some more investigating!!

Tecmo Super Bowl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Zig zagging to FIRE
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
Finally finished the valve stem & diverter portion of this project! 

Okay, just following up here in case it will help anyone in the future.

This project has been epic.  Seems kind of lame for a few valve stems, right?  Well, finding parts for a 1947 setup is TOUGH and frustrating.

Here are some highlights and lowlights:

• Nearly stripped the bonnet nut with pliers trying to get it off
  • Bought valve stem sockets (after the near-stripping) and seat wrenches
  • Fought with 68 year old calcified hardware
  • Got saved by vise grips on multiple occasions
  • Nearly gave up around 5 times
  • Almost stripped out the diverter seat, but made a last ditch effort with the seat wrench and pried her free
  • Visited plumbing supply stores for parts and even they didn't have the right stuff
  • Ordered new Danco replacement valve stems online from Menards
  • Finally found a Kohler diverter stem online by the grace of some deity
  • Realized that the supposedly OEM diverter basically didn't allow for the correct diverter handle contorl - the diverter handle just kept spinning within the packing assembly instead of locking in an open/close position
  • Managed to use one of the old packing assemblies I had from the old valve stems on the new diverter, which solved the handle problem

Honestly all this hassle probably wasn't worth it.  But I did learn something, have leak free handles now, and saved calling a plumber.  Now there is a bunch more work to do before this shower can be used.

Oh yeah, should have gotten a strap wrench for the escutcheons (conical faceplate pieces) too.  I marred them taking them off, then later found out that they go for $64 each!  Soaked em in vinegar and am going to put them back on even with the scratches.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:38:49 PM by Tecmo Super Bowl »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!