Author Topic: Replacing blinds with online stores  (Read 3136 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
Replacing blinds with online stores
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »
I am looking to replace window coverings on four windows.  We are probably going to get the top down bottom up style which lets you configure the shades any way you want.  Pricing them out online it comes out to under $1000.  Installation is supposed to be "easy".  I am going to get a couple quotes for a local installer to do this but i'm guessing it will be 3 or 4 times more expensive so you are basically paying a shitload for install.

Has anyone ordered blinds online and how was the install?

Right now we have some cheapo drapes from Jysk and I just hate that look and they collect a tonne of dust and pet hair too.  Heavier shades probably would be better at keeping cold out as well compared to drapes I would think.

piffle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Replacing blinds with online stores
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 01:07:47 AM »
I ordered some fairly standard blinds through Home Depot and they came in the mail.  I installed them without much trouble with just a drill (the only power tool I own) and screwdriver I think, and I'm not particularly handy.  You shouldn't need anyone else to install them unless you have some kind of special situation.

cshaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:31:25 AM »
I've both ordered blinds online as well as having them cut to fit at Home Depot/Lowes.  For inside mount just make sure you measure at the top, middle, and bottom and go with your shortest width.  Be sure to measure at the depth you plan on installing the blinds as well. Agree with piffle that they are easy to install.

Just my opinion here :  I'm familiar with the type of blinds you describe, but have not priced them out.  $1K for 4 blinds seems really steep to me, but again I usually get the typical 2" slat wood or faux wood blinds.  If you are set on the style you describe just make sure you shop around if you haven't already.  I recently purchased some room darkening roller shades and would not have thought to look at JC Penney if my wife hadn't mentioned them.  After looking at several sites that's who I ended up going with.

Hope this helps.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
We bought 2" wood blinds from blinds.com about 3 years ago.  Paid about $65/window, and I installed them myself.  piffle and cshaw are both 100% correct on their opinions.  They're not hard to DIY install, and measuring is important.

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
I installed roman blinds in my bedroom from blindsaver.com. I used a coupon and I think ebates plus a cashback credit card to bring the price down from $211.96 to around $150. Installation took 2 people, but was super easy. Put screw through hole into window frame. The provided the screws and the holes.

Order the blinds and have them delivered then you can figure out if you really need an installer. Or better than that, call the company and ask how hard they are to install.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
Most window coverings are very easy to install.  You need a screwdriver, a drill, and about 10 minutes per covering.  Unless you're covering monster sized windows, 1000$ for four sets of blinds is pretty damned expensive.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »
I ordered cellular blinds from blindsgalore.com. They came in about a week. Install is basically screwing in brackets that are level to one another and snapping in the shade. One blind actually was broken (wouldn't retract all the way). The company sent me a new one no questions asked. I was able to put the "broken" one in my basement window.