Author Topic: Replace radio with just an USB-in?  (Read 2410 times)

Sjalabais

• Bristles
  • King of Chocolatistan
Replace radio with just an USB-in?
« on: September 18, 2015, 03:24:09 AM »
I used to have an okay car stereo (Pioneer 6600DAB) until I cleaned my HVAC system with professional cleaning fluid - that somehow dripped from the vent channels into the radio. Containing chlorine, the fluid is highly conductive, and even though the display and everything else seems to work, there's no sound.

So I wonder: Can I somehow connect an USB-port, an old MP3-player, and the car's audio cables? I don't listen to radio and I don't need any of the other functions. Only occasionally I need to press play on the thing and listen to what's on a 64GB USB disk.

waffle

• Bristles
Re: Replace radio with just an USB-in?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
I'm sure that you could do that and get it to work. Probably need some sort of hub to wire all the speakers into that has a headphone jack or usb on it. Or you could just get a cheap replacement stereo. Even the super cheap ones these days tend to come with usb or auxiliary connections and can be found online for under $100.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »
What waffle said.   If you are smart enough to get one without a cd player (all that mechanical nonsense adds a lot of cost) they're really getting dirt cheap.  And you'll get a less crashy-into-people interface.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
Sounds to me like you blew a fuse on the amplifier part of your radio.  It might be (relatively) easily reparable with a soldering iron, if you're so inclined.

You can't simply connect an MP3 player to the wiring in your car.  You need something with an amplifier that can drive the speakers.

Sjalabais

• Bristles
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »
I have never worked with a soldering iron, but I’d try (or find someone who can). How can I identify what exactly the issue is?

Here's an ok stereo for 21$, shipment included:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Car-Audio-Stereo-In-Dash-Fm-With-Mp3-Player-USB-SD-Input-AUX-Receiver-Jecksion/1961365986.html?ws_ab_test=201526_1,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,201409_5

I have had similar stereos before and they do work just as intended.

It may be bad use of my time to cobble together a home brew solution then. Thanks for your replies so far!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »
I have never worked with a soldering iron, but I’d try (or find someone who can). How can I identify what exactly the issue is?

Well, if the cleaning solution simply shorted something out and blew a fuse, it should be fairly simple to clean up the circuit board and identify and replace the fuse.  If, however, some other component got damaged, it'll be pretty tough for you to figure it out.

If a replacement head unit is only $20, then it's definitely not worth your time to try and debug the old one.  (it might be worth *my* time, but since electronics and fixing things is sorta my hobby, that doesn't count :) )

Sjalabais

• Bristles
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
True, even though the damaged unit is a 200$ stereo. I'm going to open it up this weekend to have a look, thanks for your good advice! :)