Author Topic: Refrigerator Knocking - someone help me answer?  (Read 1887 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Refrigerator Knocking - someone help me answer?
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:10:48 AM »
My refrigerator has been making a pretty loud knocking sound fairly frequently. Some google searching and watching during the knocking tells me it is likely  the ice maker trying to push out the frozen ice but the ice not unsticking from the mold - but it could be something else.

I'm looking for mustachian fix - I bought the Frigidaire off of Craigslist about a year ago (this is a slightly newer version - http://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Center/Product-Support--Manuals/?productCode=FGHC2331PF) and this has been coming up.

Any ideas for how to fix?

Appreciatively,

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Refrigerator Knocking - someone help me answer?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
I can't help you fix it, but if you think it's the ice maker, but aren't sure, turn the ice maker off for a few days.  Ice makers are a lot cheaper than compressors (although our old Frigidaire knocked for years but gave us no trouble).

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »
Any Chance you could upload an audio file recording, perhaps a video with the noise to youtube and then link it here? Someone may be able to give more information based on the actual sound.

The two knocking noises from a fridge that dealt with the in the past where, a) the ice machine noise you describe, and b) an off balance fan due to ice accumulation on the blades.

a) isn't hard to diagnosis, as has already been suggested turning the ice maker off should stop the noise if is actually the cause. It could be a particularly stubborn ice cube or it could be that one of the gears (likely plastic/nylon) has worn to the point where it is slipping under load.

b) in my case it was a know defect with the model and there was a revised part assembly with a second bearing that corrected the issue.

If you can track the problem down to a specific part, not just something in the ice maker, a specific gear for example, site like repairclininc.com and ereplacementparts.com will likely be able to supply you the part needed.

farmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 05:26:27 AM »
I know it's a bit late here but I have this happen to mine every so often.
You have to melt all the ice off with a heat gun or hair dryer.
Then make sure to un-clog the drain tube which is usually in behind.