Author Topic: Reattaching electrical cord  (Read 925 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Reattaching electrical cord
« on: July 30, 2021, 01:46:49 AM »
This is the power cord for a digital wall clock (the kind with several time zones). It was cut during a renovation. Can I just twist these back together and tape them up or do I need to do some soldering?

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Reattaching electrical cord
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:23:21 AM »
How about a new cord altogether?  Won't be expensive.

If you are going to tape it up as a temporary measure please use proper insulating tape.

I've never seen anyone solder a cord: the problem would be that you are left with live exposed wires which would have to be taped in any case.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:41:54 AM »
Is it just me, or do the two cords in the picture look totally different and don't belong together??

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:34:52 AM »

I'll have to open up the case and see how it's attached. It's connected directly to the motherboard somehow.

Is it just me, or do the two cords in the picture look totally different and don't belong together??

It was previously held together by some kind of electrical tape/splice job and had been hanging there for several years. This cord was partially run inside a wall and I'm guessing the original installer cut and reattached the cord with some kind of replacement. 

Ripple4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 05:56:26 AM »
Is the plan to run the cord in the wall again? maybe install a power outlet behind the clock with proper materials and then just put a replacement male plug on the now shorter cord and plug it in?

If I had to repair lamp-cord that was to be used as intended, I would use: (water proof butt splices 22-16AWG.) These make a good electrical connection, provide some tensile strength, and seal out contamination.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 06:04:07 AM »

I'll have to open up the case and see how it's attached. It's connected directly to the motherboard somehow.

It was previously held together by some kind of electrical tape/splice job and had been hanging there for several years. This cord was partially run inside a wall and I'm guessing the original installer cut and reattached the cord with some kind of replacement.

If you can tell which wire connected to which wire, just twisting them back together is fine. Wrap with electrical tape if it is low voltage. If it's mains voltage, use a screw connector and then electrical tape. Isolate the power first!

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 06:27:51 AM »
Can I just twist these back together and tape them up or do I need to do some soldering?

Don't just twist these together and wrap with tape. Twisting doesn't take much tension so it leaves it open to possible problems in the future not to mention a safety hazard. Tape gets old and brittle.

Just do it correctly and buy a wire butt splice connector that crimps on each end and join the wires together. A mom and pop shop might sell them in small packages of four or five for less than a dollar but the large box store have assortment boxes with maybe 50 of them for less than $10. All you need is a pair of pliers for tools. Once all three wires are joined and crimped together, you can use electrical tape to wrap them all up or they make heat shrink tubing that goes over the splice (remember to put on before you start crimping the wires together with the butt connectors) and when heated, shrinks to seal up the area and provide a flexible joint that doesn't get brittle with time.

Edited: The image below is what I'm talking about and actually includes the heat shrink tubing on both ends of the butt connector.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »

If you can tell which wire connected to which wire, just twisting them back together is fine. Wrap with electrical tape if it is low voltage. If it's mains voltage, use a screw connector and then electrical tape. Isolate the power first!

Please, no.  There are a half dozen better solutions than this.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »

It's not just you

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 10:52:33 AM »
If you're going to solder, put the proper size heat shrink tubing on (before you solder...) and slide it out of the way, solder, slide tubing over the joint, heat, done.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 09:27:24 AM »
IMO you should not reattach those two cords and if they were previously connected, and the blue/brown/green is the clock side, I would say it was done wrong.

One side has a brown/blue/green with yellow stripe and the other only has a black and a white (that I can see). The blue/brown and black/white can be matched up correctly, but the green and yellow is a ground and if that is the clock side of the wiring it should be attached to a ground and not left unconnected.

Personally, if this is line voltage (and both wires' color coding seems to indicate it is) I would replace the entire cord with a correct cord. As this is a cord and could be subject to stress a simple twist is not enough, perhaps a lineman's splice would be. If not replacing the cord, I would also use something more durable than tape like heat shrink tubing ... you can get butt-splice connectors with heat shrink ends.

As a personal opinion, regardless of if one can/is allowed to make a connection between two line voltage  wires in an exposed cord I will always prefer the connections to be enclosed and any stress to be controlled by something other than the wire connection; such as an electrical box with clamps in the cord, making the connect to the house wiring inside a wall box, or having the connection inside the clock enclosure. 

Edit: It looks like the brown/blue can actually be either AC or DC, but the white/black should be AC assuming it was done correctly in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:23:13 AM by BudgetSlasher »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 04:49:41 PM »
If you're going to solder, put the proper size heat shrink tubing on (before you solder...) and slide it out of the way, solder, slide tubing over the joint, heat, done.
^^^ This.  In fact, I'd take it one step further--put a larger, longer piece of heatshrink tubing over the whole bundle of wires as well.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 06:47:31 AM »
I'm in favor of cutting the cord inside the clock, making the splice there, and attaching a new cord.  Add a stress-relief knot on the new cord where it exits the clock.  Don't burry your splice inside a wall.  It should either be made inside a junction box, outlet box, or not spliced.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!