Author Topic: Question re: tile removal  (Read 1370 times)

ltt

• Pencil Stache
Question re: tile removal
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:39:42 AM »
We are planning on replacing/updating the tile in our bathroom.  I'm fairly certain when we installed it many years ago that we placed cement board and then glued the tile to the cement board (I don't think we glued it to the subfloor).  My question is once we remove the tile, how do we get any remaining glue/adhesive off  the floor?  Do we just scrape it off?  Or is there an easier method/product to use that will easily take the remaining adhesive off?

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Question re: tile removal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:20:48 AM »
It is far easier and cheaper to just remove the cement board and tile all in one go, getting back to the subfloor and putting on a new layer of cement board. Any mortar left between the cement board and the subfloor, I do a combination of scrape with a flat bar and use a grinder. Make sure to wear eye protection when doing the latter because in a small room like a bathroom, you get lots of ricochets.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:24:26 PM »
A nice Herzo grinder shroud with dust collection attachment will set you back 25 bucks or so, might not be worth it for a tiny amount though.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:15:29 AM »
Muscle.  Lots and lots of muscle.  I redid my whole house, tearing up all of the old tile and there is no easy way to get any of that off, just grinding and scraping.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:01:02 AM »
It is far easier and cheaper to just remove the cement board and tile all in one go, getting back to the subfloor and putting on a new layer of cement board. Any mortar left between the cement board and the subfloor, I do a combination of scrape with a flat bar and use a grinder. Make sure to wear eye protection when doing the latter because in a small room like a bathroom, you get lots of ricochets.

This. Almost every time I've come across tile, it's been easier and faster to remove the tile+backer than trying to remove all the tile and clean up the cement board. Plus, it's WAYYYYY nicer and easier to install new tile on new cement board, since it's perfectly clean and smooth and flat.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:24:59 AM »
I second the recommendation to pull up the cement board. Compare the cost of hours of time and frustration to the cost of new cement board, and it should be pretty clear :)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:42:24 AM »
It's pretty easy to get tile off of OSB with an air-hammer.  You can rent one or just buy one if you already have an air compressor at home (they're pretty cheap).  Maybe it's tougher with cement board as the baker, I can't speak to that.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
It's pretty easy to get tile off of OSB with an air-hammer.  You can rent one or just buy one if you already have an air compressor at home (they're pretty cheap).  Maybe it's tougher with cement board as the baker, I can't speak to that.

I can. The mortar doesn't attach nearly as well to OSB as it does cement board which is why I always tile over cement board and not OSB.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!