Author Topic: Project - New kitchen!  (Read 35802 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Project - New kitchen!
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
After my first project even being crown molding a few weeks ago... My wife and I decided during this weekend which we have 4 days off, to attack the kitchen which we have been waiting to change it.

We are in no way DIY'ers in the sense that we have no experience whatsoever ... I graduated with honors on YouTube DIY though watching videos after videos on how to do stuff like this!

Anyhow, here it goes...

The before...

And the ongoing work ...

We used double tap to hang the tiles we want... I joked that backsplashes should be done with a velcro wall instead of mortar !! Maybe this has some legs the idea eheh

We sanded down every freakin cabinet because they were dirty or had some kind of glue on the inside... also we wanted everything to look flush so it looks like a single piece, so everything that wasnt flush got sanded down to be leveled to.

Also suddenly, when this weekend we were only supposed to do the cabinets ... she starts ripping part of the backsplash and also tearing down the range hood ... oh well ...

This is as of right now ... 2 coats of primer still ... lots to go yet !

In these pictures i think you can see reminiscences from my first project ever... the crown molding I did all around the house ...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Project - New kitchen!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
Following to see what happens!  It looks like a ton of work, but I hope it pays off.

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:15:50 PM »
It's well worth it if the cabinets are good and those look to be.  I have stripped several, added new hardware and they were good to go for some years more.

We just bought another rental and I'm going to sand those down, maybe stain depends on how good they come out.  If not will paint.  We are ripping out the old countertop and sink and replacing it.  That kitchen has all knotty pine and though some think its dated, I think its beautiful.

It looks like you are doing a good job and priming them first is a smart move.  I bet they are beautiful when they are done.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
Thanks.

We sanded down because of the paint to rough it up and because the insides had glue on them and it was very hard to try to take it all off even thoguh we were using an industrial adhesive remover.

Also, because as I said they werent flush as seen in this picture:

So we sanded that unlevel parts so they became flush...

To this:

I know nothing about cabniets but these are solid wood ... instead of buying new may just as well repurpose them!

It fathoms to me people sometimes paying 10k for cabinets when even on craigslist you can find beatufiul used cabinets that only need a repurpose for like 200-500 bucks sometimes even much less. Beautiful pieces!

We're using a good quality primer... and we bough also good quality NAP foam rollers and we're using that for the primer as well as the paint we're gonna use... a Benjamin Moore for cabinets ... inside is going to be semi gloss ... Outside we're still undecided with the finish ... we're going to try some samples on a piece of random wood we have laying here.

It sure has been a lot of work... we've been busting our asses the past 3 days with 8-10 hour days ... I dont care if I could pay someone else to do this...

Im having fun... Being that this is to myself im being a perfectionist and Im learning a new skill!

Really hope in the end it looks good ...

Oh and another badassity ... we went to lowes and picked our new knobs...

Instead of buying there, we took the reference looked it up online and got a supplier in China that sells in AliExpress the same handles/knobs ... instead of 7 dollars each at Lowes we paid 1.80 dollars each! They should be here in around 10 days ...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:44:21 PM by MrSal »

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »
Niiiice.  We might do a kitchen reno lite like this once Mrs. RootofGood joins me in retirement.  Our cabinets are sturdy but could use some beautification. 

We replaced the knobs one year ago with some wonderful brushed steel handles.  I think they were $28 for 40 of them from Amazon or ebay.  I even sold the old handles on ebay for $20 ("rustic" lol).  The updated handles do a lot for $28 and we don't snag our clothes (or children's eye sockets) on the old handles that protruded dangerously from the cabinets. 

I just hate the idea of having our kitchen out of commission for any length of time. 

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:00:38 AM »
Just a thought I use gloss paint.  I know at first it is to shiny but in a year or so it will lose some of that gloss.  Also its a lot more work but if you use oil based paint it will last longer.  It washes off really well in a kitchen and bathroom too or a laundry room.  I'm not sure about the tile and double based tape, never tried that before, let me know how that works and sticks are you going to grout it inbetween the seams?  We may just buy the flat formica to match the countertop and run it up the wall behind the new countertop.  In the rental we will just buy the preformed top if it will fit and put it on, lot less work.

I agree, I buy a ton of stuff over the net, just cheaper.  Still looks like a great job and look at all the money you are saving.  By the way, be sure and change your furnace filters several times while you are
sanding they will get thick with it and get it all over the house.  Ask me how I know?  LOL!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
I guess we'll have to check the filter too...  Although our filter is not very fine it's one of those that are permanent...  Also my wife while I was sanding kept a shop vac close to the sander so most of the dust probably was vacuumed...

Regarding the tile I was joking lol of course we're not going to use double tape...

As for the paint this one is supposed to be as good as oil they say... The gloss finish is just for interior because of durability... On the outside we may do a varnish gloss type of finish... We're still deciding

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »
There is a product called SimpleMat that makes putting up backsplashes a lot faster. It's not cheap, but I used it when I put up my backsplash.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:06:19 PM »
today has been pretty much still prepping... caulking seams and cracks and all that.

A before and after pic:

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
Looking very nice.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:36:33 PM »
hmmm i dont know if someone can help me out in this ...

I want to have the hinges concealed... I come from europe therefore im used to those sweet concealed hinges that are hidden so neatly!

But theres a problem... these cabinets I guess from what ive researched traditional/country american style ... the edges of the door overlap a little the face of the cabinets... also the doors are not very thick ... maybe 1/2" or so ...

Being that most european hinges are needed to have a hole cut on the door... i doubt i can cut a hole in my doors with the required depth ... anyone knows how can i achieve this?

Id say our cabinets resemble this diagram:

i can provide pictures if needed.... thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:40:05 PM by MrSal »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 04:49:56 AM »
We had this exact issue with the hinges when we redid our cabinets (though we ended up tearing out the whole kitchen and starting over). We used hinges like these with little shims on the face frame to align everything correctly. You'll have to try several configurations to see what works best.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
thanks i guess ill try !!

By the way... sanding is so underrated!

I really want the cabinets to be super smooth... so i'm sanding between each coat. I'm now sanding the primer and boy ... i spent all day so far sanding just the exterior!! I dont know if Ill have the guts to do it inside too!!

I started with 180 sanding block ... then off to 220 and then 320 ... It sure looks super smooth ... cant wait to put some paint on it and see how it looks!

I figure it will take me all day today just to sand the primer!

Now let me go to a corner and cry in fetal position!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:20:01 PM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »
Still sanding ... but now Im much happier.

I had painted one coat in one of the cabinets last night and I was disappointed with what I saw.

I had sanded as I said the cabinets to have them flush and rought up the previous paint job... everything was smooth as a baby's butt... I primed it and saw that it was kind of bumpy much like an orange peel. I though " maybe its to grip the paint and then the paint will level..."

It didnt and I was disappointed since I wanted a super smooth finish just like when you buy something from IKEA and it looks lacquered.

See the bumpyness?

Well, I researched more and from what I gathered all pros said to accomplish that super smooth finish you have to sand between all coats!

And that was my day today!

I sanded down all prime and here's the first coat of the first cabinet after sanding down the primer. I assume almost 7 hours of sanding... and I expect many more to go although the next coats I assume it will be much easier :D

Hardly any bumpiness! It looks store bought almost! It probably only needs a 320 sanding or even less with a 400 ...

Ive been sanding with a very rough grit at first...just to help to level everything... then 180 ... then 220... and finally 320.

My wife when she saw me doing everything by hand she brought me a buffer... Truth be told, I tried it and didnt like it... I dont feel as much control as manually and it also takes chunks of the paint job with it all the way down to the wood in ocasions... so I always end up going back to do it by hand...

Most likely I wont do this in the whole cabinet... so far I just sanded down the outside of the cabinets... the side up of shelves and the underside and the back panels to a certain extent.

As for the sides... they are very hard to be easily accessible since the cabinets have a face and there is barely any room to make any motions to sand it down.. I might leave the orange peel feeling there.

Im thinking of adding recessed lights to the underside of the cabinetss... what do you guys think? Recessed lights or a LED string?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:23:02 AM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
A little update...

Just sanded all afternoon and beginning of the night started painting the first coat on the rest of cabinets...

I ended up sanding pretty much everywhere, although not as detailed in the underside of shelving and the inner sides of the cabinets. Due to difficult access sanding was very difficult.

I now have one coat only of glossy paint in it and I am super happy with results!!

They look super freaking AWESOME and SMOOTH!!!! Im not sure if I should add another coat - I did 2 coats of primer and 1 glossy of very high quality paint...

I cant wait to paint the outside of the cabinets because the sanding in there made them way smoother than the insides! If I think its smooth already inside .... cant wait to see whats coming...

Heres a pic

And ...

This coat is still unsanded even if i decide not to paint more coats Id go over with a 400 grit or something...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
Looking good!  Please add which hinges you end up using....I have similar hinges on my cabinets at our foreclosure and would love to change them to hidden ones (but only if it is not crazy expensive).

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
Sure will...

Is looking awesome...  The kitchen looks much more spacious... The other day I entered the kitchen and was like wow it looks big... Also a lot more light coming in and being reflected due to the white... I like it...

As for the hinges I think we may buy new doors... We're going  to get a quote this Monday from some Amish... According to what we've been told we can expect a price of around 260 gives included... Which is not a lot... I researched a company in online and they were charging 15 dollars per for which amounted to  400+... If we go this route we'll do doors that cover the whole face frame...

I know spending in doors is not very mustachian... But for the price and considering I'm putting all the work I think we may as well do it right...

So far the costs have been around  100$ in paint and primer which had already been used to the Crown molding project and 33 dollars for the hardware...

Also we scooped up a new range hood for 75$ stainless steel from Craigslist...

O believe we can get the whole kitchen for about 700$ including doors if we go that route and backslash tiling... 

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
Following

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 07:16:38 AM »
It looks awesome and I can really empathize with what you're going through.  We tackled a "weekend" kitchen reno last year that stretched out to several days weeks a couple months.  We also sanded, primed, and painted our cabinets white - the doors took the longest to allow for good dry time and sanding between each coat. 

Our project also "evolved" to include ripping out the backslash (and unfortunately, most of the drywall behind it) and attending emergency YouTube University classes to learn how to redo the drywall ourselves and put up beadboard backsplash in its place.  Caulk became our best friend.

It will look amazing when its done.  And taking the time to do each step really makes a difference.  I've been able to scrub our cabinets clean over the past year and the paint has held up great! 

Happy DIYing!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
It looks awesome and I can really empathize with what you're going through.  We tackled a "weekend" kitchen reno last year that stretched out to several days weeks a couple months.  We also sanded, primed, and painted our cabinets white - the doors took the longest to allow for good dry time and sanding between each coat. 

Our project also "evolved" to include ripping out the backslash (and unfortunately, most of the drywall behind it) and attending emergency YouTube University classes to learn how to redo the drywall ourselves and put up beadboard backsplash in its place.  Caulk became our best friend.

It will look amazing when its done.  And taking the time to do each step really makes a difference.  I've been able to scrub our cabinets clean over the past year and the paint has held up great! 

Happy DIYing!

eheheh

sounds like our project!

We were supposed to only tackle the cabinets this time and in the future do the backsplash and other things ... but my wife in the middle of me sanding started ripping the backsplash and the range hood off eheh ...

By the way, you can be extremely badass by buying most thing on AliExpress or Alibaba.com coming directly from manufacturer's in China ...

Our cabinet handles will be either these:

or these

At Lowes and HD they're asking 7-9 dollars for each ...

Im getting them for 1.9 dollars each instead! And yes they are solid! If I chose the hollow ones it would be 0,90 dollars each instead!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
When we bought our house I said I would remodel the kitchen in 5 years.  It's now been 5 years and I'm not sure it is in the cards just yet, but your work looks good.  Our cabinets are all basically just IKEA stuff, and when I do it I'll be making my own, but if ours weren't junk we'd be doing exactly what you are - refinishing, retiling and repainting.  It made all the difference in our last place.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:37 AM »
If you're using oil based or the newer enamel paints, I've read that the way to minimize the orange peel effect is to actually do a final brush coat over the paint. You roll it on, and then very lightly drag a good quality brush over the paint. It will initially have ridges, but the paint will level itself out.There's a bunch of youtube videos about it if you search around. I painted some furniture last summer with the Benjamin Moore Advance paint and it does indeed level itself. I however was not as fastidious with the sanding as you and so the pieces aren't perfect, but will last longer than if I had used normal latex paint.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »
If you're using oil based or the newer enamel paints, I've read that the way to minimize the orange peel effect is to actually do a final brush coat over the paint. You roll it on, and then very lightly drag a good quality brush over the paint. It will initially have ridges, but the paint will level itself out.There's a bunch of youtube videos about it if you search around. I painted some furniture last summer with the Benjamin Moore Advance paint and it does indeed level itself. I however was not as fastidious with the sanding as you and so the pieces aren't perfect, but will last longer than if I had used normal latex paint.

im using benhamin moore too... the advance formula as well

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:43 PM »
Good job! I'm redoing my kitchen right now too. I also redid the counter tops with free left-over "granite" pieces from a place down the road, which look pretty amazing. Your cabinets look way better than mine, I sanded everything to death but still not enough. The under cabinet LED tape looks amazing on a nice counter top, it takes it from OK to pro. I highly recommend it.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 09:51:01 PM »
LED tape does need a 12v transformer correct? Ill have to figure it out how to conceal it... i guess ill do it once I go over the backsplash ... maybe ill be able to have it go behind it...

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »
Mine required 12V. The transformer is small and pretty easy to conceal, but it buzzes pretty loudly. I have it in a top cabinet, so hopefully the door will keep it quiet after I get around to adding hinges.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
Did you find a good concealed hinge?  I am looking forward to your finished project.  It might inspire me for Spring Break week!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 12:01:52 AM »
Did you find a good concealed hinge?  I am looking forward to your finished project.  It might inspire me for Spring Break week!

Not for the inlet overlay doors.

We're getting new doors... Shaker style covering the face frame of the cabinets completely.

We'll be able to use simple concealed hinges then.

As of now I am priming the bottom cabinets. Tomorrow Ill be sanding and painting the interior if possible.

I'm also having thoughts of putting a concrete countertop ... just maybe!

Maybe itll be a project for down the line! It doesnt look to hard and is cheap.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 04:33:46 AM »

Not for the inlet overlay doors.

We're getting new doors... Shaker style covering the face frame of the cabinets completely.

We'll be able to use simple concealed hinges then.

As of now I am priming the bottom cabinets. Tomorrow Ill be sanding and painting the interior if possible.

I'm also having thoughts of putting a concrete countertop ... just maybe!

Maybe itll be a project for down the line! It doesnt look to hard and is cheap.

I saw somebody who spray-painted their hinges pewter and they turned out very nice. I am contemplating doing that for our kitchen at our lake house. Retrofitting the hinges sounds difficult, but I was interested if somebody able to figure that out. I'm sure your new doors will look awesome!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
thanks.

Im putting a lot of effort in this but its kinda fun actually!

All of a sudden im having all these new ideas.

Just purchased this faucet from China. Solid nickel in a brushed finish! At Lowes they sell it upwards of 150 USD on this! The ones sub-100 similar to this are chrome surface finish which is kinda crappy!

On ebay they sell it around 85-95 USD for this model.

I would say 99% of ebay sellers supply themselves through alibaba so ... I just got the same model for 47 USD through alibaba

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 09:04:37 PM »
A little update...

We have everything now painted... the doors are almost ready so I expect end of next week to have them finished too and already up!

Yesterday we spent more time being torn about if we should paint the bottoms dark or keep them white...

We were really torn and we couldnt decide...

So ... anyhow we went ahead and it now looks like this:

The pictures dont do it justice... the color is really pretty!

I tried to emulate the IKEA brown look that they have. It looks a type of black brownish chocolaty color.

The original color is Stir Turret from Ralph Laurens Paint ... but Benjamin Moore had their mix in the database so they did it for us!

So far its looking good.

Total $$ spent in the project so far ...

250 dollars for the doors

47 dollars for the new faucet

about 120 dollars worth of paint and primer

60 dollars for the new handles. So about 480 dollars!!

We're trying to recoup part of it by selling our old doors and the hardware ...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 05:19:34 AM »
Awesome!

cowboysgirlfriend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My rambling blog
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »
It's looking like we will have a kitchen reno project on our hands soon - thanks for this great thread with so many ideas! Your kitchen looks wonderful!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
Looks FANTASTIC!! Where did you buy the doors for only $250??? Awesome deal!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
Looks FANTASTIC!! Where did you buy the doors for only $250??? Awesome deal!

The Amish :) it included the hinges already and the hinges which are concealed I thought I had to buy the softener closing mechaniscm that you attach to the cabinet so that the doors dont slam because the spring in the european style hinges are stronger...

Guess what? that softener mechanism is already built into these hinges!!!

And here they are the doors... I went to pick them up today!!

For ... 18 doors if Im not mistaken plus 7 drawer fronts and hinges ... total = 272 dollars!

And we just put a new hood as well ...

We thought either of doing this type of hood or taking off the cabinets on top and do a wall mounted hood ... we were afraid of losing precious storage space though... so we went the safe route.

cowboysgirlfriend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My rambling blog
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 12:23:47 AM »
I adore those doors. Pardon the pun.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
UPDATE!!!

They look sweet!!!

Actually all wood and white looks sweet as well... although it conveys more of a beachy type of style... if this were a beach house Id leave it like this...

Im glad I went with double doors on the left instead of a big door as it was before... it gives the impression of the cabinets being taller and just looks tidier and clean
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:36:58 PM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »
And a video of the hinges mechanism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfFGaiunk2s

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
Wow. This is an impressive remodel! I'm hoping to do something like this in our kitchen too. One thing that sucks though is the way the storage space was designed - a lot of the cabinet storage doesn't really make much sense and you have to wrestle pots and pans out to get what you want in lots of cases. Maybe that just means I need to declutter more in there. But seriously, it would be great to swap out our ugly and outdated kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. I need to figure out where I can get doors like that for cheap! I don't think there are many Amish in Southern California :P

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:07 PM »
thanks! Its my first time doing DIY so i was a little afraid of messing up but so far its been going great!

The doors are freaking amazing... superb quality really. Usually the middle planel of the doors is only 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch thich making it very flimsy, but this one is plain solid! I would say its somewhere around 1/2 or 3/4 of a inch!

One doubt that I have... Im thinking of adding a clear coat on top for protection. Ive read you shouold use water based acrylic ... What type of brush should I use? A normal paint one or does it have to be specific for polyurethane?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
Wow - those doors look fantastic!  I am ready to convert....how far of a drive to the Amish land?  Really those are so beautiful, even unpainted. I will be showing the hubs tonight and may have a new summer project out at the lake.  I agree the smaller doors look exceptionally clean and modern.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 01:15:23 PM »
Not to thread jack, but here's the kitchen we need to update those 24" smaller doors would make a big difference. I like your new hood too....we got our stainless electric range free from a friend converting to gas, the DW on Craigslist for $75, and the fridge was a splurge yet on sale. For $300 I would definitely do new doors.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
Wow - those doors look fantastic!  I am ready to convert....how far of a drive to the Amish land?  Really those are so beautiful, even unpainted. I will be showing the hubs tonight and may have a new summer project out at the lake.  I agree the smaller doors look exceptionally clean and modern.

Central PA :)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »
Not to thread jack, but here's the kitchen we need to update those 24" smaller doors would make a big difference. I like your new hood too....we got our stainless electric range free from a friend converting to gas, the DW on Craigslist for $75, and the fridge was a splurge yet on sale. For $300 I would definitely do new doors.

that kitchen has lots of potential!!!

If it were me I would paint those cabinets it will make a ton of difference... it looks like you have vaulted ceilings... i'd go ahead and paint those as well... at least that's my style i like whitish and clear colors! I love light!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
The faucet just got here about a week after purchasing it thoruh alibaba

I have no idea how to change a faucet... any details i should pay particular attention to?

Im going to watch a few youtube videos to get a grasp on how to do it...

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 10:39:53 AM »
Bump to follow! So very cool!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
The faucet just got here about a week after purchasing it thoruh alibaba

I have no idea how to change a faucet... any details i should pay particular attention to?

Im going to watch a few youtube videos to get a grasp on how to do it...

Whoa, what a cool-looking faucet! Yes Youtube should help out a lot. It's not too hard -  I just changed mine out this weekend. It took me all day but I was also doing a lot of clean up and ended up re-caulking the corners where the sink meets the granite (it's an undermount sink).

Just make sure you have some pans below to catch the water and some good, absorbent, towels. A basin wrench would probably help and you'll also want an adjustable wrench handy. Also, the base of the faucet should have gasket... if not you may need to use some plumbers putty to seal it off. Oh one other tip too: if you'll be working with your head looking up at the sink/faucet from under the cabinet, either during removal or installation, I'd strongly advise using goggles/protective eyewear and a mask to cover your mouth/nose.

I noticed your current faucet has an escutcheon plate which is presumably covering some sink holes. Not sure if the new one has such a cover, or even if it does, if you'll want to use it. If not, you may need to buy a couple of sink hole plugs/caps (they should be under $5 each from Home Depot or Lowes).

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »
Nice. The cabinets look great. Congrats on the remodel progress.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
First coat on the doors!

These are the back of the doors and I actually regret already of painting them...

I quite like the contrast between the brown/white ... if i were to do it again id only paint the front brown and the back white to make it contrasty...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »
Finally done with the doors!

Along with the interiors of the cabinets they were the most time consuming. Unlike the interiors, not because you had to work a lot on them but mostly because of the drying times, flipping the doors, waiting again to be able to sand, paint, wait...

But it looks SWEEEEEET!

Went to Lowes and had them cut panes of glass and I put them on the doors ... Everything looks good awesome!

I am now waiting on the handles to arrive so I can install them.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:05:27 PM by MrSal »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!