Author Topic: Programming replacement car keys - The Pinnacle of Anti-Mustachianism!! HELP!  (Read 4395 times)

Alaskan Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A few months prior to discovering the world of MMM, I made what turned out to be a pretty Mustachian move.  I sold my 2012 Subaru Outback (recently paid off) for $21K and bought a 2007 Corolla for $6K.  I just couldn't see the purpose of driving a depreciating (albeit very comfortable) machine around while it still held so much value....  Now I have a super-reliable, fuel efficient vehicle that costs less to insure and won't send me into fits if it gets nailed with a shopping cart!

My new ride only came with one key.  Being pragmatic I need AT LEAST one spare key, but two would be better.  I bought two blanks on Amazon ($8/each) and had them cut at the hardware store ($4) but the anti-theft immobilizer chip still needs to be programmed.  Dealer wants $55 each key, local locksmith wants $100!!

YouTube reveals some Toyotas can be programmed with On-Board Programming (OBP) by running through a series of actions with inserting keys and opening and closing doors to get it in program mode.  None of these work on a 2007 Corolla!!

I also tried mounting the good key right next to the ignition thinking it would activate the sensor, then I could just use the un-programmed keys - No dice!

Does anybody have a solution to this problem??  I simply CAN NOT justify paying someone $100+ dollars to stick a key in a machine and push a button!!

PLEASE HELP!!

sabertooth3

• Stubble
The key to my '07 Honda Accord snapped in half about 6 months ago, rendering it unusable. Unfortunately, getting a new key programmed at the dealer was the only solution for me. Like you said, the key itself is cheap. But the key is programmed to your specific car as an anti-theft measure. At least yours is only $100ish, my new key cost me $220! And that was just for 1 key.

Maybe Toyotas are more user-friendly, but you may just have to absorb this.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Yeah, the same thing happened to us with our '06 Odyssey--we only have 1 key.  The cheapest solution I've heard of so far is to get a replacement at Walmart for $60 or so.

Alaskan Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Update: VICTORY!! Programming replacement car keys
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:25 PM »
Problem Solved for $14.38!!!

I was not ready to give in and fork over several hundred dollars to get TWO CAR KEYS!!

Some more searching turned up this amazing little device : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ2D45O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I read the reviews and decided to roll the $14 dice on this one.  It showed up in about 10 days (direct from Hong Kong!) and I located user instructions in the Amazon reviews.  3 minutes later I had 2 functioning Chip Keys for my Corolla!!

I generally stay away from uni-tasking devices, but this one paid off in spades!!  I think I might be a little TOO thrilled with myself and this solution....

Now I just have to figure out how to get this in the hands of someone else who's about to drop some Benjamins on a new key....

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Advertise on craigslist as a cheap way to get new keys, like $20?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Update: VICTORY!! Programming replacement car keys
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »

I was not ready to give in and fork over several hundred dollars to get TWO CAR KEYS!!

Some more searching turned up this amazing little device : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ2D45O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Nice!  I wish they had one for Hondas...

ditheca

• Bristles
My local Ace Hardware has a guy that can program most keys, and if it doesn't work there's no charge.

lakemom

• Bristles

+1

Alaskan Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Clever idea, but I have a device that works on a very small subset of vehicles, I don't sell replacement key blanks, and I don't cut keys.  That's a pretty niche market and I've got better side hustles I can put my energy in.  Thanks!

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: Update: VICTORY!! Programming replacement car keys
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »

I read the reviews and decided to roll the $14 dice on this one.  It showed up in about 10 days (direct from Hong Kong!) and I located user instructions in the Amazon reviews.  3 minutes later I had 2 functioning Chip Keys for my Corolla!!

I generally stay away from uni-tasking devices, but this one paid off in spades!!  I think I might be a little TOO thrilled with myself and this solution....

Now I just have to figure out how to get this in the hands of someone else who's about to drop some Benjamins on a new key....

Well done, Alaskan Stache.

I wish they had those devices for Fords. I ended up with several frustrating hours trying to program cheap spare keys that were bought off the Internet, using an OBD cable connecting my Ford to my laptop.

Despite a lot of persistence, I never got it to work. I eventually took the keys to the Ford dealer, and they programmed the keys that I carried in for $40. It would have cost more, but my neighbor's son works at the dealer.

Noahjoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fords are easy; you just cycle the ignition to accessory something like 7 times. When the locks cycle, you're in programming mode. Youtube videos abound on this method, and I used it for my (now gone, don't worry!) F-150.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Fords are easy; you just cycle the ignition to accessory something like 7 times. When the locks cycle, you're in programming mode. Youtube videos abound on this method, and I used it for my (now gone, don't worry!) F-150.

My memories are vague (because I, too, got rid of mine).  But I think it depends on the year and you have to start with 2 working keys.