Author Topic: Power Windows on 1998 Saturn SL2  (Read 2089 times)

BlueLesPaul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Power Windows on 1998 Saturn SL2
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
The driver side windows for both the front and back windows on the driver side.  I have very limited experience with car repairs.  Would trying to fix it be feasible?  Would it be worth it.  My only concern is that the back window has a tendency to slowing roll down and I have to manually close it by grabbing the glass on both sides and pulling it up.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
Re: Power Windows on 1998 Saturn SL2
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
I have a 2000 SL2- I've not had to replace the actual power window regulators (the motor/drive mechanism) but did have to pull apart the passenger rear door to replace the plastic clip that holds the window to the regulator when it broke (a common occurance according to the SaturnFan forums). That wasn't all that difficult to do, and I don't remember the regulator being altogether too buried. The biggest concern is likely going to be getting the inner door panels off without breaking anything- they are REALLY tricky at times!

I strongly recommend in general having the Chilton's or Haynes repair manuals for the car, they're a great reference when you want to do something and have lots of good information about fluids & regular maintenance too- though they don't outright state what most of us know about the S-series which is that you always have to add more oil!

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
I had the same problem on my '97 sl1.  The dealership wouldn't sell me the stupid clip without the whole $125 armature, so I had one made out of UHMWPE at a local machine shop for $25.  Getting the panels off was tricky, but doable.  It really depends on your patience level.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »
I had the same problem on my '97 sl1.  The dealership wouldn't sell me the stupid clip without the whole $125 armature, so I had one made out of UHMWPE at a local machine shop for $25.  Getting the panels off was tricky, but doable.  It really depends on your patience level.

It took some searching, but I was able to find a place that was making and selling just the clips for a few bucks. Picked up enough to do a few more of them if the other clips broke down the line.