Author Topic: Planting a 24" box tree  (Read 8335 times)

ohsnap

• Bristles
Planting a 24" box tree
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
We need a couple of trees to improve our landscaping.  I found a decent price on some nice-sized trees in 24" boxes.  The problem is that both the nurseryman and the internet tell me that it's impossible to DIY plant these things because of their size and weight.  If we pay the modest delivery fee, the trees will be delivered to our driveway.  How do we get them to the backyard and into the holes why my dear husband and son will dig?

I could save $ and hassle by getting the trees in 25 gallon buckets, but gosh they are puny compared to the 24" boxes.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Planting a 24" box tree
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:07:11 AM »
Maybe lay down a tarp before it arrives, and drag it around to the back with a car?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:03:25 AM »
Go to a rental centre and check the prices on fun toys for a weekend. The only difference between DIY and pros in this case is the toys. Check how much for a skid steer, forklift, etc. Ask the dude at the counter what equipment he recommends. Once you have said toy, spend an hour monkeying with it in the driveway to get confidence and skill, then go slow and git-er-done.

If renting toys is more than hiring a pro, just go with the pros.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Zolo, we don't have enough room to get a anything larger than a small bobcat around to the back of the house.

Prospector, good advice.  I'll stop by our local equipment rental place and chat with them.  Then I'll call a couple of landscape guys to compare.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
One caveat - be sure to call for underground wires etc. before you dig the hole. don't hit a gas main and blame me.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 05:40:16 AM »
Get a much smaller tree that you can manage to carry to the location.
The "shock" of transplanting bigger trees often results in pretty slow first years of growth anyway.  A smaller tree properly cared for a nurtured will often get to and surpass the growth of these larger trees that experienced transplanting shock.

I've planted about 40,000 trees on my place, mostly little pencil thick seedlings, and you would be amazed at how large some of them have grown to in 5, 10, 20 years.
Have also planted trees from seeds that are two feet tall a year from sprouting.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
We were able to move some big trees by hand - four people and one super heavy duty two wheeled - wheel barrow.  The trees were equal height to the wheel barrow on the trailer so it was down into the wheel barrow and then down into the hole.  I was the weakling that just balance the trunk while my dad, hubby and buddy did the heavy lifting.  Trees were only in 22inch baskets and it was really not that easy.  One of them was mortally damaged in a microburst two years ago but the other four look amazing six years in.  We were all pretty beat afterwards.
You can really easily damage the bark with a skid steer so take care!

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
Get a much smaller tree that you can manage to carry to the location.
The "shock" of transplanting bigger trees often results in pretty slow first years of growth anyway.  A smaller tree properly cared for a nurtured will often get to and surpass the growth of these larger trees that experienced transplanting shock.

+1 Large trees are much harder to transplant and require lots of attention compared to much smaller trees. I wouldn't buy one unless the place selling them give me a one year guarantee. Be forewarned, that most places that give that guarantee usually only replace the value of the tree and won't refund additional costs like delivery or planting it for you.  I would much rather get smaller trees, all the way from a few feet tall to twigs. They cost much less, have a much much greater survival rate and you don't have to worry about watering, wind damage, transplant shock and other things as much.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the additional thoughts.  Here's an update:  it turns out a 24" box tree isn't really that big!  I don't know why the guy at the wholesale nursery tried to put me off it - it's a wholesale nursery; maybe he hates retail customers and wants them to go through a gardener?  He told me that they'd only delivery to my driveway and "good luck" with getting it to the backyard.  Well, when I went back to actually purchase the trees, it was a different guy at the desk.  He told me if there was good access to the backyard, they'd be happy to take them to the back.  So yesterday a guy showed up in a truck with my two trees and a dolly.  It took  just a bit of heave-ho, but he single-handedly got the trees to the back yard.  It was really no big deal.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
Water them daily and generously (2-5 minutes each with a hose) for the first year. They will thank you for it. :)