Author Topic: Piecemeal Kitchen renovation  (Read 3717 times)

Polish_Hammer

• Stubble
Piecemeal Kitchen renovation
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
Looking for suggestions on options for cabinets.  I have original builder grade honey oak colored cabinets with polished brass knobs that are 25 years old.  Looking to potentially paint the cabinets a dark gray and replace hinges and knobs to avoid brand new cabinets.  Any thoughts?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Piecemeal Kitchen renovation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
If they're in good shape overall, and are paint-able, go for it. A new coat of paint can do wonders.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
Paint them! I did this on my honey oak at my previous home. It's not difficult, but it is time consuming. I was very pleased with how they turned out.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
In addition to painting, consider installing different doors.  This gives the appearance of different cabinets even though the boxes are the same.   This frees up some other options too, like handle placement and door swing direction, in case you have some you want to change.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »
You can also strip and re-stain the cabinets.  It will make them look much newer.

Polish_Hammer

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
Paint them! I did this on my honey oak at my previous home. It's not difficult, but it is time consuming. I was very pleased with how they turned out.

They do like good! The before cabinets look just like what I have now

Polish_Hammer

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »
In addition to painting, consider installing different doors.  This gives the appearance of different cabinets even though the boxes are the same.   This frees up some other options too, like handle placement and door swing direction, in case you have some you want to change.

Any ideas where to go to get un-finshed doors

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »

Any ideas where to go to get un-finshed doors

Umm...do an internet search with the words "unfinished cabinet doors" and your location??

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 05:46:53 PM »
just hinges and knobs will make a very different kitchen.  Throw in a different light switch, new tap, new light fixture, paint the walls, and do a new counter top from something simple like home depot and it will look very very different and brand new.  I did the same to mine and i have those shitty european white cupboards and it still looks great.  There's also something called allure vinyl flooring from home depot which can be laid over top of vinyl and is a no glue/no mess easy to install.  get the look of tile for a fraction of the price

i know a lot love to paint wood but i think its a crime.  You could always strip and restain them.  oak is a beautiful wood, think twice before you start to paint.  People pay big $$$ still to get oak
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:15:56 AM by dess1313 »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
So funny! I really like honey oak.