Author Topic: Painting kitchen cabinets  (Read 4886 times)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Painting kitchen cabinets
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »
I am set to paint my kitchen cabinets.  I will be painting both unfinished oak cabinets, and very old, painted cabinets.  Any suggestions on paints?  So far I have read a good review of Benjamin Moore's Advance line.  Also I have read suggestions to do it by brush and foam roller,  and by buying a paint sprayer and spraying them.  I am inclined to spray...

bandito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Painting kitchen cabinets
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:19:31 AM »
The only thing I can tell you about spraying is if you over spray, spray unevenly or have problems with the nozzle it will show.  One way to get around this is once you spray then back roll immediately afterwards with a roller.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:46:37 AM by bandito »

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »
I am set to paint my kitchen cabinets.  I will be painting both unfinished oak cabinets, and very old, painted cabinets.  Any suggestions on paints?  So far I have read a good review of Benjamin Moore's Advance line.  Also I have read suggestions to do it by brush and foam roller,  and by buying a paint sprayer and spraying them.  I am inclined to spray...

Clean the old ones and for both, prime the heck out of them, obviously. I've painted cabinets, but with a brush--it came out really nice. As it happens I did use Benjamin Moore, but I have nothing to compare it to and know nothing about spraying. To get tips from someone who's done it, I would ask your question here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/
Or also at some DIY-type forum. And of course, google something like "how to paint cabinets" or "best paint for spraying cabinets."

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
regarding spraying:  I do think it gives the best finish (especially with shinier finishes), though there is some amount of technique to it.   The majority of the work is in prep: sanding, filling imperfections, sanding some more, and masking.   I painted the entire interior of my house.  A single coat for the whole thing took about 45 minutes.  Masking beforehand took a week.  Don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to mask and the amount of mess that will ensure if you don't.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
I've never done it, but there's a tremendous amount of info on the Young House Love blog - link here.  They used Benjamin Moore's Advance.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:38:55 AM »
I do a lot of this in fixing up old houses to rent and I use those small sponge rollers.  I have used BM's Advance and Sherwin williams proclassic (waterbased acrylic alkyd) and SW is by far the best.  The finish is much more smooth and it does not drip like BM.  It's outrageously expensive for paint but worth it.

This website is a good resource.  http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20315665,00.html.  Heed the advice about sanding. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »
prime the heck out of them

My brother builds custom cabinets and he says the biggest problem he sees when people try to paint old cabinets is that those old conversion varnishes often do not adhere well to the paint layer, so it looks okay at first but ends up peeling a couple of months later.  He's seen this several times, mostly from friends expressing dismay and asking for his opinion.  He said there was this primer interlayer you can buy at home depot that seemed to work for adhering to both the varnish and the paint but I can't remember exactly what it's called (sorry that's not so helpful!)  He's not against painting old cabinets but said the primer selection is critical.

So the bottom line is to NOT shortchange those prep steps involving sanding and priming.  Because if the paint starts to peel off later you will really be bummed out.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help.  We've picked a color and will by doing it soon.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »
Sanding and priming is the most important step to getting a nice finish that will actually last!!  Spraying gives the most even, professional look, but personally I like the look of brush strokes.

Good luck!! I hope we'll see some pictures when it's done!!