Author Topic: Paint choice?  (Read 10968 times)

Zora

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Paint choice?
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
Dearest Mustachians,

I tried searching but couldn't locate a discussion on the boards about selection of paint (interior).  I am addicted to Benjamin Moore "matte" finish for easy cleaning and (usually) one-coat-ability.  I upgraded to the stuff from cheaper flat paint and like it about a million times better.  But, it is $50ish at my local paint store.  Am I doing it wrong? 

madage

• Bristles
Re: Paint choice?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Quality paint is (comparatively) pricey. I don't think there's any way around that. If you like it and can afford it, go for it. That said, I've had good results with both Behr Premium paint+primer in one (Home Depot) and the comparable product from Lowe's (Valspar). I don't think either brand came out on top the last time Consumer Reports tested paint, but they still tested well and are usually more in the $30-35 per gallon range.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
I liked the Olympic Premium at Lowe's because it was the first reasonably-priced zero-VOC paint I ever found. I think they might have discontinued it in favor of Olympic One (a paint+primer) though.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
I always go for Benjamin Moore and I mostly use their matte finish too. They're not the cheapest but I like their colours and they seem to go on better than cheaper paints I've used.

I used After Midnight in Auro with matte finish in my bedroom.  It is awesome! Goes on beautifully and the colour is insanely deep. I got a coupon for the opening of the new paint shop in my area, but it was still spendy.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/aftermidnight

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/product-catalog?prod=Aura_Waterborne_Interior_Paint#piSheen=522&tab=2

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »
The consensus I've seen is that it's worth paying for good paint, especially if it's a rich color, or you're painting over a contrasting color.

I haven't tried it yet, but here's something different:

http://www.milkpaint.com/prod_safe.html

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
I like Sherwin-Williams paint. If you get on their mailing list, they send out discount coupons quarterly for 30-40% off. I have never paid full price. After discount, the paint costs the same as crappy paint from Home Depot or Lowe's, but it goes on smoother and in one coat.

ChristopherPhilip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Body Language Project
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »
Matt is a type of FINISH, not a type of paint.  Matt means it's flat in TEXTURE.  If you want high traffic you go gloss, it's shiny and you can wash it/clean it.  However, with shine you see LOTS of imperfections in the wall (no wall is 100% smooth and perfect).  No one paints their room with gloss, you use semi-gloss at best on doors and trim.  You might use eggshell or usually (my preferred) is satin.  It's the mid ground finish.  You use matt finish when you want people to think your walls are perfect.  As soon as someone touches them though, bam, grease mark you can't wash.  It's like oil on a chalk board.

I like colour your world brand - 10 years of painting experience!

Zora

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
Christopher,

The paint I am referring to is from Benjamin Moore and they do call it "matte finish."  It looks just like they're flat paint but is much more washable/durable, and it costs a few bucks more. 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
I always use Benjamin Moore Aura in eggshell.  Just painted my bedroom last week.  A friend helped me and he kept saying, "This paint is amazing.  It doesn't drip."  Worth the price (and a gallon easily covered 400 sq feet of rough plaster wall).  I used two coats because the previous paint color was dark, but think one coat might be enough if you're using a similar color.

ChristopherPhilip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Body Language Project
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
Christopher,

The paint I am referring to is from Benjamin Moore and they do call it "matte finish."  It looks just like they're flat paint but is much more washable/durable, and it costs a few bucks more.

Yup, I know what you're talking about.  Sometimes people get confused about the types of finish though.  Let's not add in latex versus oil based paints!

Mini-Mer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
After living with and then helping to apply super-cheap paint, I decided to give Benjamin Moore a shot.  It was an improvement, mainly in the lack of dripping and coverage.  I used their budget line (BEN) and the retailer had a 10% coupon.  I've heard that Benjamin Moore also has coupons/sales occasionally, if you join their mailing list.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »
I've gotten paint in the oops section of Home Depot and Lowe's and mixed different brands and colors together.  The colors have turned out really well and I've lived happily with the results for a few years.  I have had to do 2 coats, even painting a pale color over a near white wall. 

adesertsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
Has anyone used BM's Ultra Spec 500?  It is zero VOC (for flat finish) and they sell it more to contractors but I heard it is cheaper than the other types.  I don't know if it is as good but I'm thinking of trying it next time.  I've been using Aura and Regal over the last few years.