Author Topic: One man's trash...  (Read 3393 times)

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
One man's trash...
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
Keep an eye on the curb at heavy trash day, you might be surprised by what you find.

I was on the way home a few weeks ago and say a neighbor hauling out a newish looking Craftsman pressure washer to the curb.  He said it was broken and he was putting it out for heavy trash, so I said I'd take it off his hands and try to keep it out of the landfill.  After a little tinkering, the thing fired right up and worked like new.  I had no particular need for a pressure washer, so I posted it on Craigslist.  A few days later, I was $250 richer and the landfill was one pressure washer poorer.  Not bad for a few hours work and about $15 in parts!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: One man's trash...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
Fantastic!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
Wow, badass!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
Freaking sweet. What was wrong with it?

AngryGerman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Isn't it obvious that what was wrong with it is the previous / original owner was a (mentally) lazy moron, incapable of taking the initiative to perform simple systematic problem solving???

Two and four cycle ICEs at their most basic level (i.e. all lawn implements, generators, etc.) need three things to run, fuel, spark, and air.

When I hear someone talking about how they just got their lawn mower back from the small engine shop, I cry tears of Mustachian sadness. Idiots who can't be bothered to change / clean an air + fuel filter + spark plug once a year and clean out an occasional carburetor deserve at least one stout face punch. Unlike a modern passenger vehicle, there are no sensors or ECM requiring specialized diagnostic tools. C'mon people...

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »
Good call German, all I did was change the spark plug and a few gaskets. I feel the same way about car dealerships. Of all the things you need to fix something yourself, the willingness to try is the most important IMO.

Honest Bob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Honest Bob's Vehicular Fleet
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
My last two pieces of furniture have been from trash day. A nice little table and a quilt rack.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
Trash day was furniture day for our first apartment.  Amazing what is out there!  Good job on the power washer.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:27:42 AM »
Do the same on craigslist for free washer/dryers too. Repair/clean/sell and you get around a $100 profit.