Author Topic: Old paint from can of course doesn't match the wall  (Read 3563 times)

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
Old paint from can of course doesn't match the wall
« on: January 30, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »
Hi All,

had to patch a crack in the wall, and the paint from can didn't match the wall. Can is original, the problem is that the paint is 15 years old, so wall is darker now. Any suggestions except taking a sample to the store to match? (Not sure where I would cut a quarter size sample and how really).
Could the sanding back to spakle level, extra spakling, and priming and then painting help?
Of course another option is to repaint the whole darn wall (I still have some paint from 15 years back - old owners left it), but it is a lot to paint for a small patch

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
Re: Old paint from can of course doesn't match the wall
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
Are we talking exterior or interior? What is the wall made of?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
If it is just a small area, what I do is break out the old acrylic tubes of paint (I'm a fine artist and it's similar to latex wall paint). I take very small amounts of white or gray or brown or whatever it looks like it might need, blend with the wall paint in a small container and check the sample against the wall paint (letting it air dry or using a hair dryer before). If it's a really tiny spot, I'd probably just use a plastic plate as a paint palette and mix using my artist's brushes.

You could get tubes of cheap craft paint for under $1 at most hobby/craft stores: http://www.michaels.com/satin-acrylic-paint-craft-smart-2oz/M10288231.html?dwvar_M10288231_color=Black#start=9

But don't use a pure black; for instance, if it is a white wall, then get a light gray acrylic and mix that with the white wall paint... you don't need to go super dark after all, just tint it a bit more than it is. And you can also test by painting a piece of paper and then taping it up to see how well it matches rather than painting it directly and making a bigger mess after it dries if it doesn't match.

That's what I'd do anyway. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but it works well for me and I already have lots of tubes of paint anyway so it costs me nothing.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Are we talking exterior or interior? What is the wall made of?

Interior. Standard dry wall I believe

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
Hang something in front of it.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
Awkward spot, cannot put anything there :)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
Paint the whole wall or be OK with imperfections.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

Probably will end up doing this (painting). Any advice on primer if it *could * help in that spot?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »

Probably will end up doing this (painting). Any advice on primer if it *could * help in that spot?

Primer can help... but painting a whole wall is pretty much the way to go.

Part of the problem is that an existing wall has had months/years of exposure to air/dirt/greasy hands/etc.  Even with a perfect original paint can, you're now trying to match non-perfect walls. 

I'd also say texture makes a difference.  The more texture on the wall, the more luck I've had with touchups matching.  Smooth walls show every little minute problem.  Texture plays with the light and you might not notice small areas that are lighter/darker.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
Sometimes you can thin the paint down with water and then fan out the painting around the freshly painted area. Basically you are rolling it in a much wider area in many different directions to minimize the difference in paint. Sometime a sponge or rag can help with this too. It really depends on texture and color too, otherwise yes painting the whole wall is the way to go.