Author Topic: Mazda 3 roof rack question  (Read 3281 times)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Mazda 3 roof rack question
« on: March 11, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
So I got a new (to me) Mazda 3 hatchback, which is great. The previous owners were apparently pretty outdoors-y, so they had a roof rack and front tow hook installed.

I'm pretty clear on how to remove both items without damaging anything, but I had a couple questions I was hoping someone here might have the answers too.

Firstly, the cap for the tow hook is missing, so I need a new one. I don't think there are any junk yards near me, is there somewhere online I can pick up a replacement? I'd like it if the paint matched.

Secondly, removing the roof rack itself is pretty straightforward. After the rack is off, you're left with four threaded posts sticking up, which come out with a simple allen wrench. With those removed, do I need to worry about water getting into places where it shouldn't? The rubber stripping is different than what comes from the factory, to accommodate the rack. Do I need to get replacement stripping?

I'm not sure either way if I would ever use the roof rack. Our bike rack right now is the over-the-trunk variety, and works fine, so I'm not exactly looking to get a new roof-mounted bike rack.

Ecky

• Bristles
Re: Mazda 3 roof rack question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
A roof-mounted rack hurts aerodynamics and will measurably reduce your highway fuel economy, but if you remove it, you will definitely need to reseal the holes, or leave the threaded rods in place.

You might be able to find a cap for your tow hook from a site like RockAuto, or whatever the Mazda equivalent of G1parts.com is.

otter

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
Yes, you will want to cover those mounting holes once you remove the roof rack. Shouldn't be too hard to order. Something like this:

http://www.sears.com/febest-2008-mazda-3-drip-rail-molding/p-SPM7402875623

As for the tow hook, are you referring to an OE-style tow hook that was screwed into the front bumper through a cover in the fascia? Or a tow hitch to pull the car behind an RV? It sounds like the former, which isn't much to worry about. You may be able to order those, painted to match, from your FLAPS.

Tired Engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 03:42:41 PM »
Have you checked the spare tire well and other storage compartments for the little cap for the tow hook?  Hopefully the prior owner would have kept it in the car so he wouldn't lose it. Maybe  a little optimistic!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:51:17 AM »
As for the tow hook, are you referring to an OE-style tow hook that was screwed into the front bumper through a cover in the fascia? Or a tow hitch to pull the car behind an RV? It sounds like the former, which isn't much to worry about. You may be able to order those, painted to match, from your FLAPS.

Yeah, that tow hook.

I checked the spare tire well and all the rear cubby hole type areas, will check again, but I'm reasonably sure it's not there.

Regarding the roof rack: I managed to get it off and everything, but apparently they drilled the original trim piece. I'm taking it in for a PCM update this week, so I'll see about getting replacement parts. I found several pieces on onlinemazdaparts, but I'm not 100% sure what all I need to replace.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:53:43 AM by NoStacheOhio »

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:47:26 AM »
You might opt to just get some small plastic caps and silicone them into place.