Author Topic: Oiling a door hinge with cooking oil -- any reason not to?  (Read 31384 times)

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
Oiling a door hinge with cooking oil -- any reason not to?
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
Hi, all -- the subject line is pretty much the whole question:  I have a squeaky door hinge and no WD40 or anything like that on hand.  Is there any reason not to handle the situation with, say, canola or olive oil?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Oiling a door hinge with cooking oil -- any reason not to?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:06 AM »
I'm not sure, but don't cooking oils eventually rot/go bad? Wouldn't want rotten oil on a door hinge?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
Don't do this; the cooking oil will (a) go rancid and (b) gum up with time. Don't use WD-40 either, that is not a lubricant.

Go get some light machine oil / 3-in-1 oil / mineral oil from the hardware store, shouldn't be more than a couple bucks, and a squeaky hinge can wait to be fixed until next time you're out.

usedsoup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
Take one pin out at a time and rub some petroleum jelly (Vasoline) on it. Slip it back in and repeat with the other hinges. If you've never popped on of those pins out just tap a small screw driver from the bottom with a hammer.

Nate

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:10 AM »
An old candle works well if you are just looking to use something from around the house.  You will need to take the pin out though and rub it down with the wax.  A crayon would probably work as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:09:18 AM by So Close »

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the helpful responses, all!  I actually have mineral oil on hand for my wooden cutting board -- forgot all about it.  And of course I have Vaseline and candles around.  I even have bike chain lube.  I'll save the cooking oil for, you know, cooking . . . .

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
And of course I have Vaseline and candles around.  I even have bike chain lube.

Alright! You've fot yourself a kinky party right there!!!! :P

Kidding aside, I really like to use lithium grease on hinges that are subjected to cold.

frugalfighterpilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »
My MIL uses cooking spray on their squeaky door hinges and I've always thought it was a really bad idea. A) when she sprays it, it smells like butter B) it's back to squeaking rather quickly and C) seems very wasteful when they have better options around the house.  My advice...skip the cooking spray.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
From personal experience, I know that cooking oil will gum up.  You'll be much better off using an oil or grease that's made for lubricating things other than your stomach :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!