Author Topic: Not so much Installation but How/Where to purchase Water Heater ?  (Read 2914 times)

rahaparta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need to replace a small electric closet water heater, short under 31 inch height, anything in capacity 28 to 32 gallons is Ok.

I know how to join pipe but can use compression fitting kit, all that is fairly clear.

Some years ago, Home Depot and Lowes, used to run "..moving to a new home.." type sales and you had to provide proof you were doing so but I think those no longer exist. (..am moving to a new home..)

That leaves, where to make the purchase and what kind of small WH. Home Depot has units from 375 and up, Walmart has different makes from about 405 and up and Lowes carries similar.

Was hoping to find some kind of new Credit Card signup offer that would enable a little off the price but the big box stores only carry a 5% offer with Amex having an additional 1 or 2 percent.

What would be best steps here or is there no real difference in one WH priced in the sub 400 range when compared to another ?

Anything else I am leaving out but should consider ? Have ruled out a waterless tank installation due to rules at association.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Not so much Installation but How/Where to purchase Water Heater ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
If you forward your mail I think you can get a discount card to Lowes.  Also, sales sometimes appear.

My only hangup with water heaters is keeping them on the ground floor and ensuring there is a pan for when leaks inevitably occur.  I cringe when I see them upstairs or in an attic, etc...

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
My only hangup with water heaters is keeping them on the ground floor and ensuring there is a pan for when leaks inevitably occur.  I cringe when I see them upstairs or in an attic, etc...

They do pretty much the same damage (with no catch pan) on the ground floor.  I've seen multiple houses where the flooring of the entire ground floor had to be replaced... often with baseboards and some amount of drywall.

The catch pan update to the building code make a whole lot of sense... no matter what floor they're on.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
Google: plumbing supply {your town}.  Call and ask if they sell to the public.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
I believe that gpconservation has free delivery and may still have a discount code of MMM.

Sometime ago I order my water heater from there and had it delivered to my door.

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »
Check with your electric company to see if they offer rebates for changing out your water heater. Many times they do.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:12:25 AM »
Google: plumbing supply {your town}.  Call and ask if they sell to the public.

Don't bother walking in the door until you determine if they sell retail AND if they sell at reasonable prices. Many years ago, many (most?) supply houses, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, were good ole' boy's clubs that would either refuse to sell to the public, or offering to sell you stuff for list price and more. That trend died out hard, when everybody gained access to a Lowe's or HD that has 99% of what a typical DIYer will ever need. There are still two regional HVAC/plumbing suppliers in my area that are either ridiculous when it comes to pricing for DIyers, or total dicks to do business with, and have a belittling attitude toward anybody who isn't part of their steady customer clique. Hard to believe that a corporately controlled supply chain would be so poorly managed that top level management either doesn't know, or care, that their employees treat the walk-in trade like an irritation that needs to be ripped off.

This situation is, fortunately, very case specific. For example, I needed a large quantity of an odd sized electric cable that the local lowes was out of. I stopped by a random electrical supply house, in a city that I never do business in. I ended up with first class counter service and paid 40% less than Lowe's price.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
I'd just stop by Home Depot and pick it up. The prices are reasonable & quality is on par with most others. I usually get the Rheem brand for my own home & rentals and have been satisfied with them.

Agg97

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
I'd just stop by Home Depot and pick it up. The prices are reasonable & quality is on par with most others. I usually get the Rheem brand for my own home & rentals and have been satisfied with them.

I agree with this, and what I did 2 months ago when my water heater went out.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
I believe that gpconservation has free delivery and may still have a discount code of MMM.

Sometime ago I order my water heater from there and had it delivered to my door.

As of May they still had the MMM code and free delivery (left it inside the garage for me). And they were cheaper than Lowe's/HD for the same thing (minus different branding) even after a discount at the big box (and they still charged for delivery at the big box).

Seemed silly to ship a water heater from OR to ME, but the cost saving didn't lie.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!