Author Topic: No suction on my Bissell vacuum  (Read 696 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
No suction on my Bissell vacuum
« on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:48 AM »
I just vacuumed my whole house to discover that my Bissell vacuum doesn't have suction.

The dirt collecting areas are empty.

The rotary brush is clean and spinning.  So I assume the belt and motor must be good.

The lower hose and one of the filters were clogged, but I cleaned those out and still no suction.

When I take off the flexible hose from the rear main part, there is no suction from the main body of the vacuum where either end of the hose attaches.

The flexible hose itself is clean and empty.

There are no untoward noises, although it's a lot louder after the above mentioned cleaning process, which I think in general is a good thing.

Bissell's YouTube says to bring it in to a technician to look at.

It's a Bissell Cleanview Helix.

Model96

• Stubble
Re: No suction on my Bissell vacuum
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:56:48 AM »
It could be a number of things, best way is to Troubleshoot as per the users' manual
Here's a link
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1062862/Bissell-Cleanview-Helix-95p1-Series.html#manual

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »
Thanks, will take a look at that.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 02:41:43 PM »
Either the blower fan that moves air isn't turning, or there's a clog deeper in.

Dismantle until you get to either the clog or the blower motor.  Be careful, those motor/blower assemblies are rather hazardous unguarded - they have a LOT of torque and are prone to jump around on you if they're not well secured.  But you should be able to tell what's going on when you see it.

However, if you've already removed a few clogs, my bet is a clog somewhere deeper in.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 03:53:42 PM »
Thanks.  I think you're right.  I was hoping for an easier solution, but I'm probably going to have to start taking it apart.

I'm guessing the blower motor is in the main body somewhere and is what produces the suction.  I can also imagine a scenario where the brush belt works but the suction doesn't.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »
Thanks.  I think you're right.  I was hoping for an easier solution, but I'm probably going to have to start taking it apart.

Sounds like an upright - they're pretty simple.  Also, if you've never replaced the belt, replace it.  They actually need to be replaced every 6 months or year.  You don't notice the tension decreasing and the brushes spinning slower, but if you put a new belt in, it will scare you the first time you turn it on and it pulverizes the floor with fury.  Clean the hair/twine/etc off the brush while you've got it open, and if you can pull an end cap off the beater bar, there's usually some hair and such twisted in there too.  At least in our house.

I'm guessing the blower motor is in the main body somewhere and is what produces the suction.  I can also imagine a scenario where the brush belt works but the suction doesn't.

It's somewhere in there.  You probably don't have to go terribly far in, and I'd be surprised if the blower motor was your problem.

However, before you go in, you are testing suction with the dirt canister fully installed and sealed, right?  They don't suck at all without that connected.

I've got a broadly similar one, and airflow comes through the brushes and bottom, up the flexible hose into the dirt canister, dumping dirt there.  Coming out the top, via the filter, air continues in and down to the motor in the base, which has the blower fan and also a shaft sticking out that turns the belt for the beater bar, then the air gets dumped out the remaining filters.

If the canister isn't installed, you have zero path between the hose and the motor, so you'll get no suction.

I would be stunned if there's a clog between the first filter in the swirl chamber and the blower motor, but you should be able to get your hand in there, or remove the filter canister somehow, and check.  They come apart pretty easily.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »
Yes, it's an upright.

I haven't replaced the belt lately, but again I don't think the belt is the problem, as the brushes are rotating ferociously.

I have cleaned the hair and gunk from the brushes.  I haven't taken off the end cap but may do that when I've got it apart.

The canister was fully installed and sealed.  I did test with two different configurations where the hose on the back was both on and off; no suction in either case.

My litmus test really is that there's a little attachment for stair cleaning, and it's clearly got a little turbine in there that spins those brushes based off the suction from the hose.  That definitely doesn't work.

Anyway, I've got family coming in town (thus the vacuum use), so I may not be able to get to it for a bit.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »
Figured it out.  I'm dumb.

At the bottom of my canister, just above the motor, is a washable filter.  I washed it and it absorbed a lot of water, and I put it back in wet.  That wet filter was causing 99% of the obstruction.  Removing it temporarily showed the problem.

I'm going to wring out the filter, let it air dry, put it back in, and all should be well.

Next stop is the broken oven!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 07:22:30 PM »
Good, glad you got it worked out!

I typically wash those filters, and then wring them out as tightly as I can without damaging the foam.  Install, and let the vacuum run for 2-3 minutes just "spinning free" so it dries them out.  I know your air is as bone dry as mine (I'm 45 minutes southwest of Boise), so that usually solves things fully.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!