Author Topic: New tools at used prices  (Read 1541 times)

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
New tools at used prices
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »
I'm shopping for a multi tool and came across several for sale on Offer Up. All of them are brand new, in box, and are for sale for way less than at the store. These are from multiple different sellers. Why are so many people suddenly selling these?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: New tools at used prices
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:14:17 AM »
Do you mean something like a Leatherman multitool?

If there are a lot of people selling it for cheap, I'd guess they're either selling counterfeits, or they're dealers who are selling below Minimum Advertised Price, i.e. selling below the minimum retail price set by the manufacturer.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »
To clarify, I mean a DeWalt oscillating multi tool.

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
My first guess is that they bought them when they were on sale at a retailer, or part of a package deal. Then resell a few weeks later for a small profit.

Perhaps they got this deal, or one similar.
https://slickdeals.net/f/12328921-dewalt-20-volt-max-cordless-brushless-compact-drill-driver-w-2-20v-1-3ah-batteries-amp-charger-bonus-oscillating-multi-tool-139

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
Many stores will not stock returned items back on the shelves and instead sell them to companies like Liquidators Marketplace which is like the eBay of buying tools by the pallet. They turn around an auction them off to people who then take the time to sell them by the piece to maximize profits as a side hustle.

All I can say with these types of purchases, is good luck trying to return it for any reason.

From their terms of service:
OfferUp is not a party to such transactions, and does not facilitate such transactions, refunds or returns in any manner.... OfferUp further disclaims any and all responsibility to facilitate or provide refunds or returns in any manner, other than as expressly provided in the .

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
what they ^^^ said.  It's called "retail arbitrage'