Author Topic: New LED shop lights in my garage, yay!  (Read 4320 times)

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
New LED shop lights in my garage, yay!
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
I'm sure they all used to work, but I looked up the other day and noticed that three out of four fluorescent tubes in my garage were dark. DH and I rearranged the tubes and concluded we had bad ballasts. So it went on the hardware store list.

During our semi-regular Costco visit this weekend, we saw several people circulating with LED shop lights in their carts. I'm not usually one to give in to peer pressure so quickly, but it was on the list and definitely time. So we went hunting around and found them. On the way out, someone else walked up and asked us where we'd found them. (Not with LEDs. At least in our store they're closer to tools and auto stuff.)

We got two, at $40 each, for the fixture with both bulbs. They're 38W for the whole fixture (as opposed to anywhere from 25 to 40W for each of two tubes). They plug into a regular wall socket (already present), so aside from a little rearrangement of some mounting screws, the installation was trivial, maybe 30-45 minutes, including recycling the cartons.

What a huge difference. There's more than four times the light, I'm sure. There's no sputtering to life and then buzzing the whole time, just a split-second delay and little ticking when they first heat up. The box claims they'll last 45 years; if they last a quarter of that time, they'll still be an improvement over the old ones. I don't think I'll mind so much the next time I'm in there working.

Now all I need to do is clean out the garage. At least I'll have good light to work by. I'll start by recycling the old bulbs and fixtures.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: New LED shop lights in my garage, yay!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
Yeah, LED shop lamps are on my list for when I have proper work space...

No flickering or dimly warming up in the cold, less heat... sounds good to me!

Though my dual 500W halogen shop lamps will stick around, since in the winter they double as a garage heater (my kerosene burner heater is a pain to deal with and, living in Suburbia, it's utterly impossible to find kerosene for under about $10/gal, which I refuse to pay).

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »
Good to know!  I replaced the ballasts on some ancient fluorescents when we first moved in.  I like the idea of LEDs, though.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
I saw those LEDs the other day at Costco.  I may get one for over my work bench.  I have several rather expensive florescent high bay lamps for the main part of my shop, and intend to get one or two more.  I paint in there and with the door closed I can hardly get enough light.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
I've been looking at those, but have also been considering recessed lights (also LED) for my walk-out basement / future garage, which is currently unfinished but will eventually have a drywall ceiling. Anybody have thoughts on why I should pick one or the other, assuming the same overall level of brightness either way?

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:21:35 PM »
+1

I did this over the fall and thought I'd need 4 of the Costco lights, turns out 3 was plenty.  Light quality is good, and I'm really happy not having a fluorescent flicker in the cold.  This was one of the best home upgrades I've done for the money.  I needed to wire up the outlets, which was a bit of extra work, but I also ended up with a switched outlet for a heater over the workbench.

lowiyawa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:55:09 AM »
Congrats! The price is quite reasonable, which is about $100 for 100W ceiling lights for shop? the quality of led lighting is far more better. and they consume less energy

I agree with you that led is a better source of light. Before the replacement, I need to buy the HIDs for every 2 months.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 11:39:49 PM »
What is the color temperature? (it's on the 'lighting facts" label). I'm trying to find a nice LED shop light that is 2700K.