Author Topic: New front bumper  (Read 5874 times)

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New front bumper
« on: June 27, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
My Honda Civic was hit by a rock coming off a truck.  The front bumper is gashed.  I am looking at ordering a new bumper online and having my son replace it.  I am finding the bumpers come with a primer coating. Is there a way to order one already painted or where can I go to get it painted locally?

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
Re: New front bumper
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
Sorry I can't directly answer your question but, do you have a breakers yard near by that you could explore to see if it has a bumper that would match your car? It would likely be a cheaper than buying a new one.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »
Any competent auto body/paint shop should be able to paint it using the paint code from the car (usually found on a decal in the trunk or similar place).  But, the original paint may be faded and the paint match could be tricky.  Count on spending a few hundred for this, for a small batch of paint.  Auto paint is spendy.

If you can find one at a junkyard that matches, and is undamaged, that would be a great way to go.  Your son could pull it and in that way learn how it's meant to be attached.  There's probably quite a few plastic fasteners that will need to be replaced as well.

You can also sometimes get matching paint in a spray can like from NAPA or other larger chain stores.  You may have to special order in the right color.  Could be a good time to switch to black bumpers, depending on how that would look on your car.  Before going this route, maybe the original bumper/cover can be mended.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:59:40 PM by Greg »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
How badly gashed?  Many cosmetic automotive parts can be repaired with e.g. ABS pipe cement, available at your local Home Depot.  The part should have the type of plastic moulded into the inner surface.

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Will check local salvage yards and the idea of ABS pipe cement is interesting.  The car is a year old, just don't want to fork over $500 for the deductible and make and make an insurance claim. 

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:44 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Will check local salvage yards and the idea of ABS pipe cement is interesting.  The car is a year old, just don't want to fork over $500 for the deductible and make and make an insurance claim.

I'd doubt you'd hit the $500 even going through a body shop.  Is it really worth fixing at all (or moreso than just using touchup paint?)? Also, check these out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAINTED-TO-MATCH-Honda-Civic-Front-Bumper-2012-Sedan-With-fog-lights-/350801283406
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAINTED-TO-MATCH-Honda-Civic-Front-Bumper-2012-Sedan-With-OUT-fog-lights-/350801283485

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
Yeah, I was going to suggest I was also able to find painted bumpers on Ebay for our 2002 Civic. I had to supply the paint code from the car and wait a bit. Had to replace both when I bought the car, as they were both missing large pieces.  The rear match isn't great, but the front you can't tell at all. I think we spent $600 or so total for both bumpers.

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
I never considered that I would find a replacement bumper on EBay.  Will check it out.   The body shop said replacement would be about $625 and I have a $500 deductible.  Repairing the gash was quoted at about $425.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
Should be noted here that what we're talking about aren't actually the bumpers, they're cosmetic plastic pieces that cover the actual bumper.  So as long as nothing is flapping around in the wind, there's really no functional reason to spend large amounts of money because of fairly minor dings.

George_PA

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »
Sunny that is crazy to pay all that money to the shop to fix something simple; that shop is for non-mustachian types; Just a get a replacement part or bumper (or whatever part it is that is damaged) cheap online and have your son install it; MMM just put out an article on the main blog about doing car repairs yourself;

just buy a couple cans of rust-resistant spray paint from lowes and paint it black (or the color of your choice) before installing it; that money saved could be going to more productive tasks i.e. paying down debt, paying down the mortgage or saving up for investments to reach FI; no, it will not look as nice as a professional body shop, but hey we have priorities in life; once you a have a million plus in investments, a fully paid off house, and are retired then at that point you can get a professional painted nice looking bumper if you really want one

why are you so worried about it looking really nice anyway, its just a car; do you plan on entering it into a car show or something? if not, just spend $10 for two cans of spray paint and paint it yourself; if anyone asks why it does not exactly match the rest of your car, just tell them that you are expressing your individuality

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:53:22 PM by George_PA »

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
One reason folks have to "properly" repair their vehicles is that they don't own it, the bank does.  So it depends on stuff like that.  Also, for a 1 year old car, resale value is something to consider.