Author Topic: New Fido home phone plan (Canada)  (Read 2640 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
New Fido home phone plan (Canada)
« on: August 20, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

As I tweak my retirement finances, opportunities seem to be popping up everywhere.  I just canceled my satellite TV (easier than expected, did not have to argue with the Expressvu rep) and now there is a notice from my Cell phone provider about home phone service, $10/month and I get to keep my old number.  Definitely a bargain.  Has anyone done this (especially in Ontario)?  How did it work out?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: New Fido home phone plan (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
Update - 78 views and no feedback - Canadian MMM readers, where are you? Or is this too new?

I will be the guinea pig. I just signed up, can use my Fido dollars to buy the home phone hardware (the rep suggested that, I thanked her) so that ended up free, I am going from $53.46 to $10.00 (all before taxes, my cell phone is with Fido so the service is less) for more service in terms of long distance, plus voice mail, for my home phone.  I keep my home phone number; it will be ported over from Bell.  I keep using the home phone I like the feel of.  I have already cut back my cell phone plan, so at this point my connection costs are way down.

Update on Xpressvu (TV), today I got the phone call asking if I would reconnect my TV for a better price.  I explained that price was not the point,  I am not using the service.  I suggested they call me in November when the nights are long and I might want it.  That was easy - but I did have to be firm (not rude, it is hard enough to do that job without having customers be rude).

Financial Threedom

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
I just reviewed this on the Fido website, however I'm not in Ont, but it is available my my prov.  Seems like a good deal for existing Fido customers for sure.  My home phone which previously ran through Bell was about $20 before taxes and fees.  We just got on board for a promo for a year for home phone, cable and fiber op internet for $99 plus tax, when that is up, Im likely going to cancel cable and check out other options what are available then.  I may keep this in mind.

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »
Thanks for posting this...we're Fido cell customers and our home phone is with Bell (and we're here in Ontario) and the cost of the line is driving me nuts.  Although we were going to just flat out cancel the home line and make do with the cells, this might be something to consider.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!