Author Topic: My new awesome drying rack  (Read 4333 times)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
My new awesome drying rack
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »
I've wanted the below since spending some time in a small town in Italy, where every balcony has something like this. We have an elevated deck around the back of our house and minimal yard so this kind of thing worked perfectly. It has four lines next to each other and fits almost two loads, so I'm thinking of extending it to the full length of the deck.

I just bought metal brackets from the hardware store with holes in them, attached to the deck posts, and ran lines through it. I've line dried indoors for years but it's amazing how much faster it goes outside! And many less wrinkles because the wind gets them out. I just put whites/lights out during the day and darks/ colors in the late afternoon or evening so they don't fade.

I just wanted to share my little project with people who would appreciate such a thing! What does your drying rack look like?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:50:43 AM by zinnie »

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: My new awesome drying rack
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Very creative use of space.  I enjoy a regular clothesline, though there are quite a few neighborhoods around where they are against the HOA.  I would not live somewhere I could not dry clothes, sheets, etc. outside.  It's free energy and the clothes smell so good.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »
I actually dried all my towels outside today on the wrought iron fence in front of my house.  I briefly felt weird about doing it in the front yard, then thought, "He'll, I have the nicest front yard on the block.  No one is gonna say anything!  If they do I'll tell them to pick up the dog shit in their yard."

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
That looks great!  Well done :).
We don't have outdoor space so I use one of these: http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/view-all/irons-laundry-care-/honey-can-do-accordion-wood-drying-rack/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001490080&cmvc=JCP%7CSearchResults%7CRICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=&currentTabCatId=&regId=

And I hang dresses, sweaters, & pants on hangers on the shower curtain bar.

Someday we will have outdoor space with a real clothesline!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 05:28:33 AM »
20 yards of drying capacity on this one (Frost, from IKEA). Fits a 5 kg load of washing. I use an additional clothesline for bed linnen and table cloths.

show me the money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
that's a great idea Zinnie, we have the yard to do that but the lines sag, i have poles to help keep them up, but one of our dogs likes to knock them over, i think i'm gonna try this

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »
20 yards of drying capacity on this one (Frost, from IKEA). Fits a 5 kg load of washing. I use an additional clothesline for bed linnen and table cloths.

That looks like a great one. I have a tiny one for the delicates I like to keep indoors, and everything else gets hung on chairs, lamps, door handles, etc. My house looks interestesting on laundry day.

Show me the money: These still sag a little bit; I put a bracket in the middle to decrease sagging, but I was thinking of getting some of those things used to tighten drawstrings on jackets and put them on one end. It would be nice to be able to tighten instead of having to re-string when they get loose.

Thanks, all! They've been working really well so far.