Author Topic: My DIY Project/Build Thread  (Read 8694 times)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
My DIY Project/Build Thread
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »
So I have a journal (in the journal section) that has started to take the shape of a DIY theme and since my financial life is boring as hell and I don't see myself updating that as much, I figured I'd start a journal of sorts in the DIY section. Feel free to comment or not comment. I guess I just want to show that even a novice can save a buck or two and DIY a lot of stuff. I know there are fellow and VASTLY more experienced woodworkers here, so go easy on me please...I'm only a few of months into this hobby :)

You can expect to see furniture builds, shop projects, and maybe some house renovations from time to time. I'll do my best to give the cost for each project as well. I think i will find this 'journal' to be much more fun for myself.

I love being in my garage making something from nothing. I just bought my house a few months ago so i have just recently started on what i hope is a lifelong love for woodworking. I expect my skills (and tool collection) will improve over time to the point where i am making quality fine wood furniture and decorative items. Right now, I'm on the cheap but effective dimensional lumber kick for furniture. There is nothing high quality about it, but it gets the job done and gives me the look I am going for.

Projects to date:
-TV stand
-Sofa Table
-'farmhouse' style table (mom's christmas gift - her makeup table)
-shop project: clamp rack/wood storage cart
-did a very small crown molding job for a friend that turned out awesome
-other various homeowner stuff around my own house - nothing major yet other than covering a couple of junction boxes and bracing a truss in my attic (really really really sucked) and painting the entire freaking house.

Under construction:
-end tables
-coffee table

pics to follow

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
Re: My DIY Project/Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
Project 1: TV Stand

I used 2x4s for everything
Stain: Dark Walnut with a flat poly clear coat (kinda wish i would have went with gloss)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:52:03 AM by andy85 »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
So as you can see above, bascially all of the wiring was exposed once i put everything in. It looked even worse sitting on the couch. So I built a little shelf to hide things and also cut and painted (same as the wall) a piece of PVC to hide the wires behind the TV. Looks much better.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »
Project 2: Sofa Table

Material: I think this is 1x8 Pine
Stain: Dark Walnut with a flat poly clear coat

I very very simply made 2 U shaped tables..done. I made 2 instead of 1 long one for more stability .
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:52:12 AM by andy85 »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
So if i remember correctly the tv stand, sofa table, stain, poly, brushes, etc ran me about $150. I'd be willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to find a tv stand and sofa table that fits your tastes for $150.

Tools used: Miter Saw and Kreg Jig (along with a drill of course)

The one BIG cash outlay to get started on this hobby was a decent Miter Saw. I went with a 12" Hitachi sliding compound miter saw - $400 i believe. Love it so far. The Kreg Jig package was about $140 and then I bought 3 more clamps - can one have too many clamps? - I'm not convinced it's possible (Kreg K4 Pocket Hole Jig Master System)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:06:29 AM by andy85 »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:48:13 AM »
Project 3: Farmhouse Table for Mom

I think this was an Ana White design. came out pretty good. I may have done the legs a little differently to hide the screws, but being this was my 3rd project ever, i just went with the path of least resistance. Came out decent...legs are a little rough, but it will suit it's purpose just fine.

Material:
Legs and base are 90% 2x4 and 10% 1x4
Top is 2x6
Stain: Espresso with a flat poly clear coat
Tools: miter saw and kreg jig (will be a theme for awhile)
Cost: I don't really remember...I wanna say $80..give or take $15

So I originally went with a weathered oak stain. Upon testing it first (glad i did), it was seriously like a faint light grey. I legit think they put the grey stain in an oak can. Holding the can of espresso up to the dark walnut, I thought the finish would be lighter, I was wrong. It is really dark. If i could do it again I'd go with a more honey/golden brown finish.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:28:40 AM by andy85 »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
with stain...'MOM' on the back brace :)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
I will simply attach the top with some small L brackets once we get it in the room

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
Really cool!

Love it that you are building with 2x4's and without a large number of woodworking tools.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »
Project 4: Shop project - clamp rack/scrap wood cart

I only bought 1/2 sheet of 3/4 ply specifically for this project ($15ish) and some casters ($25ish). All the other wood was scrap...even salvaged some crappy wooden braces that were in a bed frame.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:08:47 AM by andy85 »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
Sanding: I use a very cheap but effect ryobi random orbital sander ($30)

So these are typcially my sanding steps
1) 80 grit (with random orbital sander)
2) 150 grit (with random orbital sander)
3) 220 grit (by hand...need to find some 220 for my sander)
4) Stain
5) If happy with the stain and the wood grain hasn't raised much move onto clear. Otherwise hit it with 320 (or was it 340...dont remember) or 220 again. I will use 220 again if i do a second coat of stain or 320 if i just want to knock the grain back down.
6) First coat of clear
7) 320 grit by hand - very lightly just to smooth it out (air bubbles, dust). should be very smooth by this point
8) second coat of clear

So thats about all i got for now. Started on the end tables last night. Should have those and small simplistic coffee table finished in a week or so.

thanks for stopping by :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:11:19 AM by andy85 »

Longwaytogo

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
Farmhouse table and tv stand looks cool; nice job.

I've been doing various woodworking since I was 7/8 years old. It's a fun hobby!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing! One of my fun ideas for 2016 is to learn basic woodworking and the Ana White designs look like a good place to start.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 07:13:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

Got Mom's table in the room...she really liked it. Disregard all of the crap on the table...room is still under construction. Also pictured is the little hairdyer/curling iron/makeup holder squib i just quickly did at the last minute.

Lessons i learned from this project: sand everything before assembly on a project like this!!!!!! Most of the legs are pretty much impossible to sand due to the tight crevices. The finish would have been a lot nicer had everything been sanded properly.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 07:25:15 AM »
Project 5: End Tables

So I also got started on my end tables this weekend

Materials: 2x4s (think i used about 8 at 8ft), half sheet of 3/4 plywood, (8) 1/8" x 2.5" (i think) x 24" trim pieces
Tools: miter saw, kreg jig, jig saw
Finish: dark walnut like the rest of the living room furniture

Lessons i'm learning from this project: I really need to think through my joinery more carefully. Even pocket holes aren't idiot proof. I had all four leg sections assembled, went to add the cross sections......andddd my drill wouldn't fit between the legs (not a euphemism). So, i had to disassemble the legs pictured below, add the cross sections first, then reassemble the legs. Also went through about 3 iterations of attaching the top...finally just settled on some pocket holes. I find myself having the most trouble when it comes to attaching the tops to pieces since i don't want any visible screws. The top will sit flush to the frame as I plan on adding some 1/8 x 2.5" trim on the top. Mitered with a small 1/8" roundover. They should be assembled and ready for stain sometime this week.

progress so far...

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »
frames and top assembled. I learned my lesson from mom's table and every surface has been sanded with 80-150-220 grit before assembly.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
Got a few things done last night. Bottom shelves attached (1st pic). Table tops attached (2nd pic). Everything has been sanded down to 220 ready for stain. Just need to work on the mitered trim pieces for the top. Also cut my pieces for the coffee table, drilled some pocket holes, and did some whitewash paining over a test piece stained dark walnut...may try that on the coffee table for more of an aged look.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:25:23 AM by andy85 »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »
Project 6: Coffee Table

Materials: (3) 2" x 6" x 8'
Tools: miter saw, kreg jig
Finish: dark walnut like the rest of the living room furniture

Well, I finished cutting the remaining pieces for the coffee table last night. Then...you guessed it...sanding. Sanded all coffee table pieces with 80-150-220...fun fun. Got it all assembled too. There is the slightest twist in the coffee table legs so the lower shelf is about 1/8" off square which was frustrating...but oh well...I'm not going for perfection...yet. Also got the end table trim pieces mitered and fitted. I should be able to get everything stained and the garage cleaned up tonight.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:24:14 AM by andy85 »

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »
Wow. Good production. Nice looking pieces.

Now you're shaming me back into the shop to get some of my unfinished (unstarted?) projects done.

Thanks for the updates.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
Wow. Good production. Nice looking pieces.

Now you're shaming me back into the shop to get some of my unfinished (unstarted?) projects done.

Thanks for the updates.
Thanks for stopping by! Get out there and do something...you may enjoy yourself!

I've been spending about 4 hours every night after work out in the garage for the better part of a week or two now. Better than veg'ing out in front of the TV all of the time.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Still slowly plugging away. Got the garage swept, shop vac'd, and blown out...talk about dusty!! Can't wait to get some type of legit dust collection system in the future. After the dust settled i took a tack cloth to all of the pieces and then got to staining. Below pics are the stain/finish being used for the living room furniture, coffee table and end table trim pieces, end table, and a group shot. The outer edge of the tops of the end tables didnt get stained because that is where the trim pieces will be glued into place. I probably wont be able to put the first coat of poly on until saturday or sunday...so hopefully they are in the house sometime mid next week.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »
Didn't get too terribly much accomplished over the long weekend. First coat of poly has been applied to the coffee table and the end tables got their mitered trim pieces glued on. I love clamps!
Kinda messed my back up, but hopefully i can get both coats of poly on everything sometime this week.

Mr. McGibblets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
I am just getting in to woodworking as a hobby, and wanted to say thanks for the posts! I'll be an active follower.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
Wow, good work. :)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:24 AM »
Wow, good work. :)
I am just getting in to woodworking as a hobby, and wanted to say thanks for the posts! I'll be an active follower.
Thanks guys!

I very very lightly sanded with 320 and put the 2nd coat of poly on the coffee table last night and the first coat on the end tables (2nd coat will go on tonight). I will probably leave them in the garage for a couple of more days to cure a bit since its so cold out there. Will post a few more pics once i get them in the house.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 07:08:10 AM »
Project 5 and 6 completed

Got the coffee table and end tables finished and in the house. Turned out good enough for me :)
the last 2 pics: my coffee table that cost about $30, and a $1,000 coffee table...sure it is prettier, but not $970 prettier.

next up i think I want to do a french cleat closet system for my bedroom closet, much like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYbexqIH4IY - Frank Howarth is one of my favorite woodworkers on YouTube. I love his build videos, his turning videos, and his stop motion filming method...so cool. This build may take a bit b/c i need to order a few things for my old crappy table saw first.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 09:09:26 AM »
Nice man. Your thread has me thinking I should just build a bookshelf for my office instead of buying one...

Good excuse to pick up some more tools. :)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »
Nice man. Your thread has me thinking I should just build a bookshelf for my office instead of buying one...

Good excuse to pick up some more tools. :)
as if an excuse is needed ;)
but seriously, tools are my anti-mustachian weakness, but i try to justify it by saying i save money by not buying the furniture and making it myself....plus, hopefully one day i get good enough and can turn this hobby into a very small side hustle. Tools are an 'investment'.... *rolls eyes*

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
I'm just trying to catch up on a few things after a few months away and found the link to here in your journal. I'm very impressed, especially with those end tables. If you ever decide to give the carpentourism thing a go, there's a couch (it turns into a very comfy bed) in my living room in Germany that you're welcome to. :-)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 06:11:46 AM »
So i havent updated this in forever. Several things have been built since the last update. so onto the pics..

workbench and yard tool cart (from scrap wood)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »
and another workbench (to replace the trusty 6' long card table)

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:10 AM »
nightstand for my sis

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »
making my small bedroom closet more efficient

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 06:18:17 AM »
and finally, a free standing closet/dresser combo thingy i finished last weekend. my favorite thing so far.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 06:30:31 AM »
great stuff!

I recently purchased the $40 kreg pocket jig kit and have been amazed and how much more "pro" my crappy DIY projects turn out (and they are easier to assemble too!).

jealous of the miter saw (and apparently pretty huge workspace).