Author Topic: My biggest project yet!! Replacing concrete on porch!!  (Read 2601 times)

intellectsucks

• Bristles
My biggest project yet!! Replacing concrete on porch!!
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
My concrete porch is completely screwed. Instead of paying a contractor, I'm going to press gang some friends and relatives into my crew, do the work myself and cut the price more than half.

Project is scheduled for April 8th, 9th and 10th, so any tips, tricks or advice will be greatly appreciated.

The concrete is VERY thin, maybe only an inch, so I don't forsee any problems cutting it or breaking it with a sledgehammer.

Pics are attached.

A couple of questions:

1. At the point where the new concrete will butt up against the old concrete, will I need to put an expansion joint or some other doodad to prevent future cracks?
2. Are there any special precautions I should be taking to keep the concrete from leaking out the front?  My plan is to brace plywood against the front, but I'm worried it won't seal well enough and the concrete will leak out.
3. Will I be able to put a fresh layer of concrete over top of the existing concrete steps?  I want them to look really good for potential home buyers but I'm concerned a new layer will start cracking and flaking very quickly.

The list of tools I'm planning on (feel free to add any additional that you think are necessary):

Sledgehammer
Circular saw w/Diamond blade
Mitre Saw&Table saw (for cutting forms and supports)
Claw hammer
Chisel
6' pry bar
Shorter pry bar
Rounded edger trowel
Straight joint groove trowel
Metal hoe
Shovel
Wooden float/trowel
Finishing trowel
Tamper
Drill
Level
Wheel barrow

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: My biggest project yet!! Replacing concrete on porch!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:45:08 AM »
If it were me, I'd replace the whole area, rather than just the crumbling parts.  If part of the patio is 1"-thick concrete, the rest is probably not much better.  Besides, the color of the new concrete won't match the old, and the finish probably won't match, either.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »
I'm guessing the concrete is reinforced so a good pair of bolt cutters will be needed to cut any reinforcing, assuming it isn't thicker stuff like rerod and in that case, a hacksaw or torch might be needed.

Whenever pouring a floating slab, I put expansion joints where ever it touches other concrete or immovable materials.

I wouldn't pour concrete over existing concrete unless it was completely covering all the existing concrete. You don't say what area this is, but water can leech between layers of concrete, freeze and thus expand, and do a lot of damage quickly.

I have used plywood for forms before and it will seal up against old concrete well to prevent leaking if adequately braced. For only a couple inches of concrete, you won't  need much for bracing but I like to put a 2 x 4 edgewise anywhere where I want a straight edge.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »
I'm guessing the concrete is reinforced so a good pair of bolt cutters will be needed to cut any reinforcing, assuming it isn't thicker stuff like rerod and in that case, a hacksaw or torch might be needed.

Whenever pouring a floating slab, I put expansion joints where ever it touches other concrete or immovable materials.

I wouldn't pour concrete over existing concrete unless it was completely covering all the existing concrete. You don't say what area this is, but water can leech between layers of concrete, freeze and thus expand, and do a lot of damage quickly.

I have used plywood for forms before and it will seal up against old concrete well to prevent leaking if adequately braced. For only a couple inches of concrete, you won't  need much for bracing but I like to put a 2 x 4 edgewise anywhere where I want a straight edge.

+1

And be sure to try to slope it / grade it away from the house as much as humanly possible.

Are you going to take a steel brush to those railings to remove the rust, then prime and repaint them?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
For concrete that's only an inch thick, I suggest you use concrete acrylic fortifier.

For the steps, use concrete resurfacer. 

You may want to paint the whole porch once you're done (to make the old & new concrete look alike).

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »
The hardest part is moving a lot of concrete really quickly, getting it in place, screeded and smooth.  HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS AND LOTS OF WHEEL BARROWS!  It all happens pretty fast.  Concrete truck drivers want that stuff off their trucks ASAP.

Demo isn't hard.  I've done it with a plain circular saw and a cheap concrete blade plus a sledge.  It is time consuming, but do-able.

And yes, do pay attention to drainage.  In tight spaces, it might even make sense to put in a physical drain to take away the water.

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Drainage won't be a problem because there is a roof over the porch.

Looks like resurfacing the steps isn't too difficult, so I'll pick up a couple of bags of that as well.

Not yet sure what I'm going to do about the different appearances of the concrete, but I'm kind of leaning towards just leaving it as is.  I'm trying to keep strike a balance between cost and appearance.  We're putting the house up for sale as soon as this project is done so I'm trying to balance cost and appearance.