Author Topic: My $15 KitchenAid Mixer  (Read 4832 times)

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My $15 KitchenAid Mixer
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »
Just cruising along GoodWill and...what is this?

Why....I think that is one of those overpriced (But well made...) mixers all my friends are wanting for wedding presents and Christmas. Oh...it doesn't work, but the motor comes on.

Just a quick google search showed me that there is a plastic gear inside of it that is made to break if it is overloaded, and on 90% of broken mixers, this is the problem. Now I am aware that most of you probably know this, but if there is a problem that is very common, then that means the replacement part is often super cheap and very easy to obtain, and this is no exception.

$5 on amazon and it has prime shipping. That means the total cost is $10 for the mixer and $5 for the replacement part.

Baddabing!

Baddaboom!

and I gotta give credit where credit is due and link this video which is how I learned how to replace the part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCiivPt7hk

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: My $15 KitchenAid Mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »
Nice find!  We picked up a working used KitchenAid about a year back for $75.  It's a great machine, even if it uses plastic gears instead of the metals ones it used to have.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
Well done you.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
Excellent! I can't tell from the pictures, but was it obvious that the gear was broken or did you replace it on faith?
Other cleaning, luring, etc. while you were in there?

Looks like a side gig!

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
I'm on my fourth gear since I bought my wife that mixer many moons ago. They last for awhile if you don't do a lot of kneading with the machine. The kneading for long periods of time is really hard on that plastic gear. I also bought some grease to repack it after the second gear shucked out.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
I'm on my fourth gear since I bought my wife that mixer many moons ago. They last for awhile if you don't do a lot of kneading with the machine. The kneading for long periods of time is really hard on that plastic gear. I also bought some grease to repack it after the second gear shucked out.

Yeah, and don't try to make fondant if you want to avoid burning through gears... it really isn't worth it since it's so cheap online (personal experience).

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
Badass!
Now sell it for $75 and make 500% profit :)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 11:12:12 AM »
I looooooove my KitchenAid mixer and want to keep it running for years, so thanks for this! If anything ever happens, I now know to check that part first!

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
Good to know in case I ever come across one!

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
Nice find!  We picked up a working used KitchenAid about a year back for $75.  It's a great machine, even if it uses plastic gears instead of the metals ones it used to have.

Not all the gears are plastic. Just this one. It is actually a good thing, it is meant to be a safety fail so the motor doesn't burn out if you overload your mixer.

I read online kneading is not as hard on it if you keep it on 1 or 2. It also helps if you buy a dough hook for it.

Excellent! I can't tell from the pictures, but was it obvious that the gear was broken or did you replace it on faith?
Other cleaning, luring, etc. while you were in there?

Looks like a side gig!

I knew it was a gear because when i tested it out in Goodwill the motor turned on, but the mixer didn't rotate. Furthermore, since you have now read this, in the future you can know that if someone complains that their kitchenaid mixer doesn't work, you know that this 10 minute fix is the problem about 90% of the time.

Badass!
Now sell it for $75 and make 500% profit :)

Ha, I would love to but it is just to handy, it's like passive cooking at its finest. Plus my mother and wife would both kill me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:53:17 PM by cnash1303 »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »
So impressive. Good work.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »

I read online kneading is not as hard on it if you keep it on 1 or 2. It also helps if you buy a dough hook for it.

In our case we do keep it to 1 or 2 and have a dough hook but the manual says you are not supposed to knead for more than a few minutes while most recipes call for sometimes 10 minutes of kneading. Even after a couple minutes, you can feel and smell the machine getting warm. After shucking out a couple gears, we now do the initial kneading in the mixer until it starts to get hot and then finish up by hand. It takes longer but the plastic gear lasts longer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!