Author Topic: Mustachian Lawn Care  (Read 15290 times)

DLJ154

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Lawn Care
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
Just purchased my first home in December, and with this has come my first ever experience needing to do anything to a lawn.  Now the spring has come and I see all my neighbors vigorously fertilizing, seeding, aerating, and panicking.  My rule of thumb is to wait for two of my neighbors to tell me to do the same thing, and then I know it must be pretty important, which is why a few weeks ago I spread lime. 

For those with a little more experience taking care of a lawn, what are the most important things to do?  I'm looking for the most bang for my buck and not planning on spending a ton of money wasting water on it all summer, but if it needs occasional water, seeds, fertilizer then I will go for it.  What is the mustachian approach to lawn care?

For any specific geographic recommendations, I live in Durham, NC on a lot with a lot of sun exposure and pretty good drainage except for one area in the back where it stays wet almost all the time.

themagicman

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian Lawn Care
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
wanting to follow....I am in the same situation

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »
I mow it when it gets shaggy.  I rake up the leaves when it gets leavey.  This is probably the most mustachian route.

If it can't thrive beyond that it's obviously not meant to be there.  Putting resources into growing a plant that isn't native and doesn't thrive in an area is useless.  Much of the grass strains grown in yards are not native.  Which is why fertilizer, lime, aerating, wasteful watering, etc is necessary for it to grow.

I would recommend looking into growing native grasses or implementing a rain garden using native plants.  Though it's not going to be your conventional rolling green lawn.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
Here is my list

• Do not ever bag the clippings, this is good organic stuff which should go back to the soil. Replace the blade on your mower with a mulching blade, which will cut the clippings into fine pieces.
  • Don't randomly put stuff on the soil. Check the soil chemistry and only if it is acidic, add lime
  • Do not overfertilize.  Remember, Scotts wants you to buy more bags of fertilizer, so they say you need it 4 times a year. Also remember, that Americans put more fertilizer on their lawns then the rest of the world does on their farms.
  • Your neighbors are going to tell you to cut your grass short. Like a golf course. Wrong!!!. Change your lawnmower setting to the highest possible grass height. When grass is this tall, it can fight weeds.
  • Do not put pesticides on your lawn. This kills both benefecial insects as well as the bad ones. Your kids are going to be barefeet on that lawn!
  • Never stress the grass by cutting more than a third of the length.
  • Make sure your lawn mower blade is sharp. You should sharpen a couple of times a season or more. If the blade is not sharp, it does not cut but will tear the grass blade.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:21:54 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »
I would recommend looking into growing native grasses or implementing a rain garden using native plants.  Though it's not going to be your conventional rolling green lawn.

+1

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »
My philosophy is that if it's green, it's grass. So my "lawn" has clover, wild strawberries, plantain, dandelions, and many more things growing in it, but when you mow it, it looks pretty nice, at least from a distance. I live out in the country and my neighbors don't care what my lawn looks like, which is nice. I use a mulching lawn mower and that's all the fertilizer it gets. I wouldn't recommend doing any more than this unless your POA says you have to, and if you have an overbearing POA that dictates lawn care, maybe you should move if you really want to be frugal!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
My philosophy is that if it's green, it's grass.

I live in a neighborhood where this wouldn't fly. But my philosophy is "if god wanted it to be green, it would rain".  Most years it does. In the years it does not, my grass is brown.

No one has ever complained about the eyesore, but there is plenty of complaining about the people with dandelion and crab grass overrun yards- because that ruins EVERYONE's yard.  (And we have a neighborhood forum where these passive aggressive comments can come out- so I'd know if people cared my yard wasn't bright green.)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
Here is my list
  • Your neighbors are going to tell you to cut your grass short. Like a golf course. Wrong!!!. Change your lawnmower setting to the highest possible grass height. When grass is this tall, it can fight weeds.

All good advice, but I want to re-iterate this: if you're going to have a turfgrass lawn (as opposed to a dandelion-and-clover lawn), cut the grass high but cut it often -- don't neglect it to the point where you have to chop a lot off at once. (I should note that this is a "do as I say, not as I do" recommendation, as I tend to neglect my lawn -- insert embarrassed emoticon here.)

Also, in general, don't neglect fertilization, watering and weed control. (You don't need to do more than what's necessary, but don't do less than what's necessary either.) It's a lot easier to maintain a weed-free lawn than to establish one, and depending on what kind of neighborhood you're in that might be important to your neighbors.

If you are in that kind of hoity-toity neighborhood but want to minimize your turfgrass wastefulness, I suggest making the lawn smaller by increasing the size of your shrub and flower areas.

Finally, find a lawn maintenance calendar specific to your area and grass species (often available from your A&M university's county extension service) and follow its recommendations.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:43:59 PM by Jack »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
I might add (and like others, we have a country lawn where anything green with roots and no sticker burrs is acceptable)....

Watering less often (but deep) is better than watering a little every day.  You condition your lawn to grow roots that way.   Those folks that have really green lawns and water every day are setting themselves up for a dead brown patch the first time the city throws water restrictions at them. 

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
Advice from previous posters is generally pretty good. The application of lime is done to raise soil pH, as certain nutrients become unavailable to the plants below a certain level (usually between 6.0 and 7.0 is optimal, but variable by species). If you're in NC, chances are good that your soil will have a fair amount of clay in it, in which case pH is likely to be on the lower end, but a soil test from your state university's lab may be the most cost-effective way to determine your actual soil chemistry. If this is indeed the case, moderate application of lime probably won't hurt.

RE: the poorly-draining area - poor drainage can be caused by a variety of factors, but the two most common are 1.) subsurface obstructions/debris and 2.) compacted or unbalanced soil structure, or some combination of these two. Many site issues like poor drainage are the result of scars left on the landscape from the original building construction, often resulting in subsurface compaction which creates problems 1 and 2 above. In many cases, construction rubble with no horticultural value is lumped in with the fill, which creates really terrible subsoil conditions that don't really show up until you try to grow plants. Soil drainage can vary widely across even a small yard - I have personally observed projects where one area will barely absorb anything and 20' away you could stick a fire hose in the ground and have no surface water (I say 'projects' because I'm a landscape architect, so I see this fairly often). In some cases, tilling this area up and adding sand to the mix when backfilling can be helpful, but take care to contact whatever local authorities you need to before digging REALLY deep so as not to disturb any utilities that may be down there.

As others have suggested, the first step is to determine whether you indeed want this area to be turf. If so, I'd echo what others have said about choosing either a native grass or one that is adapted to your climate. Think about what activities you want to accommodate in your yard, whether you'd like a garden, how much maintenance you're realistically going to want to do (or have others do); thinking through how you will use it can help you maximize the utility you get out of your space.

Most state universities (and other large ones with reputable landscape architecture programs) will have searchable online databases that can tell you everything you'd ever want to know about what plants and turfgrasses are adapted for your area, what kind of soils they need, ornamental characteristics, etc. May be helpful if considering alternatives to lawn, and there are plenty of beautiful ones, indeed!

Have fun playing in the dirt!

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »
I mow when the wife thinks that the neighbors don't like how tall the grass is. So every 2-3 weeks. My favorite part of our yard is where the creeping charlie has choked out the grass. It doesn't grow higher than an inch or two a month, is very drought and heat resistant, and puts up little purple flowers. It's already purple and green compared to the dead-green / shit-brown combo of the grass that is currently in the front yard. Wife hates it though, since it spreads she thinks the neighbors don't like it. I have not asked their opinion but mow to keep the peace and have been researching alternatives.

I would like to seed with fleur de lawn and may get some agreement for a test path this year-

http://protimelawnseed.com/products/fleur-de-lawn

This has been tested by the U of MN and works pretty well up here. Greens earlier, has nitrogen fixers, drought and heat tolerant, very low maintenance. If I can get a test patch in I'll post results this year.

Agg97

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
I would do minimal stuff all year long and see what the whole cycle looks like.  I bought a house last year, and I made a deal with my new nextdoor neighbor:  I won't make you look bad if you don't make me look bad.  We had similar mowing schedules, and never watered the lawns.  As long as you're not the "sore thumb" in the neighborhood, you're golden. 

That being said, I would explore your local county extension office and what they have to offer.  It all starts with a soil test so you know how acidic/basic the soil is, and what nutrients are out of whack.  They will give you a recommendation of what type and how much fertilizer to use.  Ditto with lime.

As far as lawn equipment, I'm a big believer in buying quality used equipment on Craig's List initially.  My rule of thumb is to buy something at half price that still has 75% of its expected life.  I bought a Honda push-mower that sells at Home Depot for ~$400 for $180.  It was 2 years old.  This not only cuts the initial cost down, but you still have quality equipment.  As each item dies, you can replace it with new or buy used again based on your experiences. 

Agg97

DLJ154

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
Awesome advice everyone.  Thank you! 

I'm planning on starting off by finding a lawn mower with a mulching blade, seems like an excellent one-time investment vs repeated watering and fertilizer.  I've also found NC State has a Lawn Care app full of info, so I've been perusing that for local tips.

MetalCap

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 06:21:01 AM »
My problem are the dogs tearing up the backyard.  I can't seed fast enough to keep anything more than a moonscape out there.

The front is tall, brown, whatever but the back will have to be rehabbed before I sell/rent.

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
I'm in NC and the only maintenance I do on my TTTF besides cutting/raking is seed and fertilizer in the fall. Not the greatest lawn but it's better than when I moved in.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »
My philosophy is that if it's green, it's grass.

I totally agree.  When we picked our neighborhood, we didn't look in any of the strict HOA's around here that dictate lawn appearance / length or anything else about landscaping.  I planted a few fruit trees in the front, turned off the sprinklers (using micro for food plants) and mowed what survived.  I even put in a veggie box (but I kind of tucked in in the corner).  Over the last year, two of my neighbors have put multiple veggie boxes smack dab in the middle of their front yard.  I've been busy with a laundry room re-model / pending arrival of my first child, but once the dust settles (which could be a while) I'll be converting more yard to farm.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
The most mustachian method of lawn care is:

1) Live in a place where someone else doesn't get to dictate how your property looks or what you do with it.

2) Mow it once a week, more or less depending on how quickly it grows.

The only more mustachian lawn care strategy possible is to move to a region where grass doesn't grow, period.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
I mow once a week with a reel mower (exercise and no gasoline or electricity usage). We're working on reducing grass area in favor of food gardening.

DLJ154

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 06:01:55 AM »
I got this ingenious idea yesterday while replacing the sump pump in my crawl space...  There's one are of the yard that is always muddy where the output of the sump pump drains.  I'm going to extend this pipe to a couple of different areas further uphill in the yard and turn it into an irrigation system!

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
I got this ingenious idea yesterday while replacing the sump pump in my crawl space...  There's one are of the yard that is always muddy where the output of the sump pump drains.  I'm going to extend this pipe to a couple of different areas further uphill in the yard and turn it into an irrigation system!

That's a good idea. If you're pushing the water farther or higher, you might need a beefier sump pump, though. Somewhere on the internet, there's probably a formula that will tell you what size motor you need to push a certain volume of water a certain distance through a pipe.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 07:22:26 AM »
The only Mustachian lawn care is to rip it up and replace with food and or xeriscape gardens.

If you have kids like I do, leave a nicely designed play area. I also have another area left in grass that functions as our eating area. But everything else is perennial flowers, perennial fruits/veggies and my large annual veggie beds, with grass left as paths between.

In high traffic areas like garden paths and play areas, you will rarely need to mow at all in my climate. Maybe a handful of times a year. The foot traffic wears the grass down faster than it grows. Non-edible landscaping that's resource intensive is as anti- Mustachian as you get.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
As many PP said - don't put fertilizer and other stuff down. Mow only as needed. Water minimally - and do it when and only when it is actually needed and do it correctly. Personally, the grass on my lawn turns brown and goes dormant but doesn't die when it is very dry - so I do not water. (However, I lived in TX where the grass actually dies if you don't water it and my first year there it died, dried up, and blew away before I realized I would actually have to water occasionally.) If weeds bother you pull them by hand, don't use weed killer - bad for the environment and expensive. If you are putting in anything other than a yard - e.g. garden beds - pick plants that are native, and low water. If you put in a tree or new plants in a garden bed - water those very well until established. Once established they will be much better off and you will have a better survival rate for your new plants.

Get free wood chips for mulch from a tree trimming company. Mulch is great for your beds and will keep down weeds and help save water. It will also over time improve the quality of your soil.

Plant perennials.

Divide plants w/ neighbors. Many lovely plants (hostas, astilbe, all ground covers, peonies, bleeding hearts, daisies, etc. etc) can be dug up and divided every few years. The absolute best way to get free plants that you know will do well in your area.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
It's best to sweep up or rake clippings if there are clumps. If you leave them there will be a good chance you'll get brown spots everywhere. Mulching is a good idea too. Go directly to the quarry/producer though. Don't buy bags of mulch for $3 each. You can get a yard of mulch for like $15.

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 02:43:57 PM »
Get free wood chips for mulch from a tree trimming company. Mulch is great for your beds and will keep down weeds and help save water. It will also over time improve the quality of your soil.

Great advice, however it's a good idea to be there when the truck shows up. Those trucks have a LOT of mulch; I ended up in a sticky situation with about 55 cubic feet of mulch on my lawn after I was done spreading it, and I didn't have the bags to store the excess. Also, if you go this route make sure that you turn your mulch over every few weeks to prevent any diseases from spreading into your trees/flowers. Finally, check with your local government to see if they have free mulch pickup.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
A great source of free, reliable advice would be your county extension office or Master Gardener program (in our county, there is a free hotline and free soil tests).

A terrible source for free, reliable advice would be your neighbors. Did they offer to do a pH test on your yard before advising you to spread lime on it? No? Then how on Earth would they know if you needed to lime your lawn?

http://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/01/does-your-lawn-or-garden-need-lime/

Stick with the NC extension. There's a link on there to get to your county, but it looks like the overall state extension office is quite active and helpful.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
I spent many hours last spring digging up dandelions.  I mostly just came on here to say that I hate HOA's. Man I miss our old neighborhood where we did whatever we wanted with the lawn, including full the front yard with a veggie garden!

My strategy for lawn reduction is to take whatever free plants I can get from neighbors.  These are the ones that spread aggressively and never die.  Yes please!  So you plant a few day lilies around your garden, they will expand to take up all available space, you never need mulch or to weed them, you never have to water them.  Done and done. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »

Great advice, however it's a good idea to be there when the truck shows up. Those trucks have a LOT of mulch; I ended up in a sticky situation with about 55 cubic feet of mulch on my lawn after I was done spreading it, and I didn't have the bags to store the excess. Also, if you go this route make sure that you turn your mulch over every few weeks to prevent any diseases from spreading into your trees/flowers. Finally, check with your local government to see if they have free mulch pickup.

That is a lot of mulch. I have a large yard and lots of garden beds and ordered 17 cubic yards (so 27x17 cubic feet) last year and it took me forever to put it down - and in the end I was hunting around for spots where I could ditch the last bit, let neighbors cart some off, etc. 17 cubic yards was a very large dump truck full and completely filled my driveway.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
17 cubic yards of mulch is is over 8 times more mulch than 55 cubic feet!

(Or was 55 what was left over?)

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 08:51:28 AM »
17 cubic yards of mulch is is over 8 times more mulch than 55 cubic feet!

(Or was 55 what was left over?)

55 was what was left over. I completely didn't realize how much mulch would be dumped when I asked for the truck. Now that I know better, I'll probably just do the free pickup that my county offers if I need more mulch going forward.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
If weeds bother you pull them by hand, don't use weed killer - bad for the environment and expensive.
I have to disagree with this point.  Our lawn used to have a huge Canadian Thistle problem.  We weeded the entire back yard several times over 2 years, with no long-term effect.  In year 3, I resorted to chemical warfare.  Two applications of Spectricide (or whatever it was) three weeks apart did the trick, and we had very few weeds the rest of the year.  In year 4, we had just a few to start, and the same treatment took care of it.  It cost $10 for each application.  I'm hopeful that I won't even need to do it this year.

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »
I just mow when it starts looking kinda high and isn't wet. 

I NEVER fertilize or water my "lawn".  It's mostly mowed weeds -- everything from dandelions to spring onions and wild strawberries.  I confess that I have broadcast a couple bags of lawn seed on bare patches over the years--maybe 50 pounds worth in 15 years. 

I view "nice" lawns as abhorrent cultivated monofauna.  Since I am not a 100% kind of guy with yard maintenance or home appearance, I figure if it looks good when driving past at the speed limit it's all good.  Frankly, it looks just as green as the lawns of my obsessive/compulsive gardener neighbors. 

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
Our lawn covers 4 acres.  It takes over 3 hours or more to mow.  I have a 61 inch cut Skag and  55 inch cut mower, 2 riders in case one breaks down.

I weedeat a lot around it but I also have a pull behind weed sprayer and now am going around trees and everything a couple times a year otherwise its a ton of work to keep edged all over. I mow down the side of the road in each direction way past our house in ditches next to the farmland and a pasture.  It looks so pretty that way.  A utility owns the farm land around us and I fussed till they mow ditches around us too.  I said the individual farmers used to help keep the roadsides looking good and why don't you guys so they started mowing it a few times a year now.  We border a tiny 200 person town and a huge 25 acre Christian facility that was an old college in the 1800's and they mow all it.  This way it looks all neat and tidy.  I intend to fertilize this year we have only been here going on our 3rd year.  My biggest issue is moles and some voles we need to get rid of.  The lawn is beautiful when I take care of it and we get sufficient rainfall.  We have a circle drive and I want to pull some bushes and plan flowering trees.  I have put out a weeping cherry, some redbuds, and a lilac so far and  plan to add a lot more.  We do have landscaping across the front of the house.  If I'm out of town it cost $150 a week or every 2 weeks to have the lawn mowed and they only trim right around the house.

This year I'm replacing 1 of the peach trees that died, have 3 apple and grapevines may get enough to make jelly this year.

I put out a big garden every year and can a ton of stuff.  We eat on the canned goods all winter.  I make spaghetti sauce, preserves, relish, pickles, apples, green tomatoes, tomato juice, canned tomatoes, and other things like canned chicken breasts for chicken salad.  Freeze 50 dozen or more ears of corn, we love corn cut off the cob, apples, blueberries, peaches.  Currently I'm waiting for 10 farm raised chickens to put in the freezer, in Texas raised my own.  Hate to mess with them up here with the long cold winters, but sure miss my fresh eggs.

Lots of work for sure.  Also have to pick up limbs, have a lot of trees, we have pecans and walnuts but not good quality.  I want some of the walnut ones cut down, the nuts are very hard on the mowers and I don't .

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »
Here is my list

• Do not ever bag the clippings, this is good organic stuff which should go back to the soil. Replace the blade on your mower with a mulching blade, which will cut the clippings into fine pieces.
  • Don't randomly put stuff on the soil. Check the soil chemistry and only if it is acidic, add lime
  • Do not overfertilize.  Remember, Scotts wants you to buy more bags of fertilizer, so they say you need it 4 times a year. Also remember, that Americans put more fertilizer on their lawns then the rest of the world does on their farms.
  • Do not put pesticides on your lawn. This kills both benefecial insects as well as the bad ones. Your kids are going to be barefeet on that lawn!
  • Make sure your lawn mower blade is sharp. You should sharpen a couple of times a season or more. If the blade is not sharp, it does not cut but will tear the grass blade.

Hope that helps.

Excellent tips! Aren't you supposed to cut it shorter in the fall? I'll have to raise my mower blade. Takes me about 30 mins to mow. I live in Eastern WA State, pretty dry and we have irrigation. Small yard and I only fertilize a few times a year and try not to over water
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:01:18 PM by FrugalKube »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
Here is my list

Hope that helps.

Excellent tips! Aren't you supposed to cut it shorter in the fall? I'll have to raise my mower blade. Takes me about 30 mins to mow. I live in Eastern WA State, pretty dry and we have irrigation. Small yard and I only fertilize a few times a year and try not to over water

Thanks FrugalKube.

You might want to stop or reduce the watering of your lawn.I am in NJ and do not water my lawn. We get enough rain throughout the growing season.

Lawns which are watered daily, have their roots at the top, while those which depend only on rain water have deep roots. Guess which ones survive in a drought? My lawn turns brown in a drought, but my neighbors well-watered lawn dies.

I do not cut my lawn shorter in fall. There may be a reason to do so, but I do not  know.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 06:59:10 AM »
Aren't you supposed to cut it shorter in the fall?

I do not cut my lawn shorter in fall. There may be a reason to do so, but I do not  know.

Longer grass develop longer roots.  I would think that to be a reason to leave it longer in the fall.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »
Wow! I live in NorCal and there's a massive drought on. DH works for the Water District, so it's lawn, what lawn? We have a very small one in the back but nothing but dead grass in the front. I miss it, but I'd rather have water to drink. We're thinking about installing fake sod, but the good stuff is very expensive. For now, it's just dead grass and dead weeds everywhere, sigh.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
Here is my list

Hope that helps.

Thanks FrugalKube.

You might want to stop or reduce the watering of your lawn.I am in NJ and do not water my lawn. We get enough rain throughout the growing season.

Lawns which are watered daily, have their roots at the top, while those which depend only on rain water have deep roots. Guess which ones survive in a drought? My lawn turns brown in a drought, but my neighbors well-watered lawn dies.

Sounds like the weather on the Western 1/2 of WA State. It can get over 90 degrees here in the summer. It would be interesting to see how my lawn does with the super deep roots.

How about tips for keeping weeds out of your yard?

Hoberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »
I mow it when it gets shaggy.  I rake up the leaves when it gets leavey.  This is probably the most mustachian route.

If it can't thrive beyond that it's obviously not meant to be there.  Putting resources into growing a plant that isn't native and doesn't thrive in an area is useless.  Much of the grass strains grown in yards are not native.  Which is why fertilizer, lime, aerating, wasteful watering, etc is necessary for it to grow.

This is what I do, lawn doesn't look so great in back, but the street side looks good enough.  I'll change it up if I hear about from the neighbors.

That fleur de lawn looks nice!   Gotta investigate how it works in the midwest.  I have plenty of bare patches.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Well I raised the mower up and mowed this week. Lawn looks good longer and the Grass is green, been in the low to mid 70s here. I'll keep an eye out and see what the irrigation is doing and if I can water less

silente

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:39 AM »
We went "mowerless" in a previous house.  We put in gardens and pathways around the entire house (front and back).  We used rocks instead of mulch so it would last longer and would not have to be "refreshed" each year.  It was a lot of initial work but the maintenance afterward was fairly simple.  I walked around the yard twice a month with a weed killer and spot treated anything I saw popping up where it didn't belong.  We never edged, never cut, and since I bought plants that were natives or drought tolerant, watered little.  We got so many compliments, lots of people asking if we were professional landscapers, and lots of wives saying I wish my husband would do that!

Now we have moved and this is my first year with my "new 2.5 acres".  Immediately around the house is flower beds on all sides, but I plan to let some areas become "natural" but for the back I am considering Zoysia since it needs less maintenance and water and should choke out weeds.  Anyone else done this?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Reel mower. Much lighter than an electric or gas mower, so the effort really isn't much different.

BananaPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
I'm trying to convince my husband to switch to a reel mower.  Our lot is under 1/4 acre and our old lawn mower (close to 20 years old) was on its last legs a year ago.  I'd rather he tries the reel mower first before buying a new gas mower.

His lawn maintenance regimen consists of applying the store brand of weed & feed fertilizer on in the springtime and then mowing weekly (or less as needed).  We rake the leaves up in the fall.  That's pretty much it.   We don't water because in our part of New England there's really no need.  We obviously don't live in a drought area but if we did, we'd probably xeriscape rather than go berserk trying to have a plush, green, manicured lawn.   

Having a "freedom lawn" (i.e. mow it high and whatever grows, grows) leaves a lot more time for the veggie garden. 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
I use a reel mower.  My only complaint with the mower is that weeds don't cut well with it when used at a tall grass length (the weeds we have are very bendy and will just bend over instead of cutting if they're tall).  I have to cut the grass pretty short to keep things working well.

As far as fertilizer, I've found that a single treatment of Scott's #1 (at the recommended time) with a single treatement of Scotts #2 a couple months later will keep the crab grass and weeds at least in check.  Less treatment they start to get out of hand.  More treatment does work better, but not enough to make it worth the monetary and environmental cost.

I pull what weeds I can, but even with our small yard that can turn into many hours of labor and bags (which we have to special buy from our environmental services branch of the government).  Feels like a seriously losing battle as the weeds then pop up again immediately anyways.  Doesn't seem to be worth the time or money.

I normally don't do spot treatments, but I found a bottle of Roundup in my shed awhile back...  It's overkill and supposedly horrible for the environment, but if I don't use it, I would just throw it away (there's no collection for it).  If it's going to eventually leak into the ground anyways, it might as well take some weeds with it.  So, I use it occasionally in places where the weeds have already completely killed off the grass (and on our driveway where I don't like any plants poking through)  No plans on replacing after it's gone.

Watering...  We get tons of rain and good growth in the early Spring, but Summer here is a lawn killer (Ohio).  I've done the "leave the grass tall" thing and suffered through the mowing issues it generates with the reel mower.  Did not help the weed nor the dying in the heat problems.  I've done the water when it starts to curl, then drench to supposedly help the roots.  Doesn't seem to make any difference (I have more lawn than I can drench even with 2 sprinklers going off my well, so doing side by side comparisons is pretty easy).  Definitely needs watering.  If I skip a week of watering in July/August, the lawn won't just go brown, it will dry up, blow away, and I have to re-seed to get grass there again (yeah, that happened in a couple experimental locations one Summer).

My goal is just to not be the worst lawn in the neighborhood.  So far I'm achieving that goal...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
We're in Cary, a bit east of the OP. 

After too many years of lawn hate, we gradually filled in the lawn, outside in, with perennials.  Things that grow well here - azaleas, crepe myrtle, wax myrtle, hellebore, day lilies, iris, loropetalum (aka fringe flower), beautyberry, red buds, gardenias, and more azaleas ;-).  The only annuals are some herbs.  Something's almost always blooming, and it needs attention spring and fall, which are when I like to be outside.  Not in the heat of summer.

I tried food gardening, but other than the cherry tomatoes that come back on their own year after year, nothing I've tried was worth the heartbreak of heat, lack of water, and bugs.

Too bad I didn't take a picture before three days of rain washed all the flowers off the azaleas.