Author Topic: Multiple Door Entry/Deadbolt Locks  (Read 766 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Multiple Door Entry/Deadbolt Locks
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »
Hey guys,

Planning to replace the front door and garage door with new entry lever/deadbolts and was curious about the keying on them - obviously we would want to get two sets that have the same keys (which, from what I read means you need to choose two that have the same keying number). I'm assuming then, that if you're ordering these from Home Depot or Lowes, it's probably a better idea just to go to the store to buy them so you can ensure that rather than ordering online and hoping that they'll send you two sets with matching keys?

On a side note: does this mean it's possible that someone (or multiple others) out there has the same exact key and we could theoretically get into each others homes? LOL I guess the chances of that happening are low since you'd need to know the person who purchased the matching key set and where they live :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Multiple Door Entry/Deadbolt Locks
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
I would assume so, to both your questions. I do know that some locks you can rekey yourself, though I don't know the details. However, given that there are techniques to get around locks, nothing is going to be perfect.

I called a locksmith and had them get a total of 5 handles/deadbolts to all work on the same key.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:25:38 PM »
In the last house, I went to Lowes/HD (can't remember which, but they both can do it) and had bought new locks for all the doors when we moved in. I had them rekey all but one to the one that wasn't rekeyed.

In this house, I bought one new lock (needed replacing anyways) and had all the remained locks (12!) rekeyed by a locksmith onsite.

I have also bought a one off lock and had it rekeyed at the big box store to a key I already had.

As an aside, I generally have a bunch of keys made when I move in and leave the original keys aside for such a purpose; the family gets run of the mill copies of the key to go on their keyrings and I run off a few tacky keys with tacky keyrings for guest (this house has some winnie the pooh keys with bright blue wrist scrunchies) that way I get the keys back or if they walk off they are recognizable as mine (and might get returned).

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
I did a good bit of research last month and settled on the Kwikset Smartkey system which I installed in my latest rental.  After installation of different keyed locks I used the smartkey tool to set them all to the same key in less than 5 minutes.  Highly recommend.  Does require a bit of cost up front to switch all the locks over to Smartkey but it allows you to rekey quickly when tenants/guests leave.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »
I did a good bit of research last month and settled on the Kwikset Smartkey system which I installed in my latest rental.  After installation of different keyed locks I used the smartkey tool to set them all to the same key in less than 5 minutes.  Highly recommend.  Does require a bit of cost up front to switch all the locks over to Smartkey but it allows you to rekey quickly when tenants/guests leave.

Hey that's pretty cool! I had no idea these existed! So does it make a physical change to the key? Or is there some sort of 'digitized' footprint left on the key? Pretty interesting. The other option of course is just to get one of those combo or smart door locks where you can change the codes etc. EDIT: Oh I guess there's this which combines the best of all worlds - https://www.kwikset.com/halo

Pretty pricey - I'd only buy this for a rental or AirBNB/VRBO in a nice location or perhaps for my own home (except it would feel excessive if for my own home)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:38:43 PM by jeromedawg »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:44:48 PM »

Hey that's pretty cool! I had no idea these existed! So does it make a physical change to the key? Or is there some sort of 'digitized' footprint left on the key? Pretty interesting. The other option of course is just to get one of those combo or smart door locks where you can change the codes etc. EDIT: Oh I guess there's this which combines the best of all worlds - https://www.kwikset.com/halo

Pretty pricey - I'd only buy this for a rental or AirBNB/VRBO in a nice location or perhaps for my own home (except it would feel excessive if for my own home)

I just put a smart lock on the front door.  I like that I can give everyone their own code and can manage the codes or lock/unlock the door from anywhere.  It's super helpful when my husband locks himself out of the house (again) or someone is housesitting and only needs access for a specific period of time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
We order locksets online frequently and just take them in to Home Depot to have them all keyed alike. It's cheap and easy. We do the same thing when tenants turn over, using the existing locks. Our tenants are all seniors, so they're not so trustful of the smart lock technology, so cheap new keys it is.

We installed a Smart Lock on DSD's front door. They live at the top of four flights of stairs and have a baby. The convenience of not having to scramble for keys has been priceless for them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 01:06:48 PM »
PS: @jeromedawg, I just noticed this is the gardening thread. If you want more input, you might ask the mods to move this to the RE or DIY thread.

PPS: Nevermind. Upon further reading, this thread looks like it has lots of similar questions. You should be just fine. Clearly, I'm not a gardener, so I don't venture onto this thread often. I was just conducting my daily troll sweep when your shiny post caught my eye and I followed it...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:09:51 PM by Dicey »

RWD

• Walrus Stache

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 02:00:53 PM »
PS: @jeromedawg, I just noticed this is the gardening thread. If you want more input, you might ask the mods to move this to the RE or DIY thread.

PPS: Nevermind. Upon further reading, this thread looks like it has lots of similar questions. You should be just fine. Clearly, I'm not a gardener, so I don't venture onto this thread often. I was just conducting my daily troll sweep when your shiny post caught my eye and I followed it...

Haha, I thought this was a general "DIY" thread - do we have a separate gardening thread? If so, that's news to me lol.

EDIT: I see what might have confused you - there's a sticky for the Gardening sub-forum/child thread (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/gardening-diy/) at the top of the forum page - it could appear as a "header" that makes you think we're in a Gardening forum, which I'm guessing might be what you thought?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:02:33 PM by jeromedawg »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »

Haha, I thought this was a general "DIY" thread - do we have a separate gardening thread? If so, that's news to me lol.

EDIT: I see what might have confused you - there's a sticky for the Gardening sub-forum/child thread (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/gardening-diy/) at the top of the forum page - it could appear as a "header" that makes you think we're in a Gardening forum, which I'm guessing might be what you thought?
Good guess. You are correct.