Author Topic: MMM-ish furniture legs?  (Read 2176 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
MMM-ish furniture legs?
« on: January 04, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »
I have a small bookcase that would fit in the room better if it was 6" off the floor.   The length isn't critical.  And because the bookcase will still be pretty low to the floor, I'm not to concerned about looks.
Is there a frugal / MMM-ish source for furniture legs?  Or things I could use to raise it up?

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
Re: MMM-ish furniture legs?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
If you're okay with a platform look, few things are cheaper than a 2x6 on edge (5.5" nominal width). This was (is?) a standard way to get cabinets up off the floor in schools and institutions. You could miter cut the corners and give it a coat of paint, or just cover it in vinyl baseboard trim. Short lengths (rather than rolls) with a peel and stick backing are available at most box stores inexpensively.

trammatic

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:27:17 AM »
I use cinder blocks in the basement to raise things off the floor.  Concrete look, but very durable and movable/reusable.  Also, there isn't anything needed besides lifting them into place.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »
If you're okay with a platform look, few things are cheaper than a 2x6 on edge (5.5" nominal width). This was (is?) a standard way to get cabinets up off the floor in schools and institutions. You could miter cut the corners and give it a coat of paint, or just cover it in vinyl baseboard trim. Short lengths (rather than rolls) with a peel and stick backing are available at most box stores inexpensively.

+1

I routinely use 2 by material to get built in book cases off the floor and then come back with baseboard to tie it into the rest of the room. This also prevents stuff/dirt from getting underneath the bookcase.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »
If you don't want a platform look, you can buy short legs (designed for sofas). Example:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waddell-Ash-Sofa-Table-Leg-Actual-4-in-x-2-5-in/3038076

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »

+1

I routinely use 2 by material to get built in book cases off the floor and then come back with baseboard to tie it into the rest of the room. This also prevents stuff/dirt from getting underneath the bookcase.
Actually, one reason I want to raise it is so I can put a power strip under it.  But I can do that if I leave the back of the platform.    It's pretty small, so I'll do 2x6 on the sides and a 1x6 across the front.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
If you don't want a platform look, you can buy short legs (designed for sofas). Example:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waddell-Ash-Sofa-Table-Leg-Actual-4-in-x-2-5-in/3038076
I know they are available.
But I'm not going to pay $8, EACH!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!