Author Topic: Leaky faucet question  (Read 3697 times)

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
Leaky faucet question
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »
I am about to fix a leaky faucet on my two-handled kitchen sink faucet. This may be a stupid question, but how do I determine which side/handle the leak is coming from?

Nate R

• Bristles
Re: Leaky faucet question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
If there's accessible shut-offs underneath, just shut off one and see if the leak stops. If it doesn't it's the other side!

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
ok yeah, that's pretty obvious. I knew it would be something that would make me look like an idiot for not figuring out. Haha thanks though.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
Dude, Props. I was too embarrassed to ask and i have the same problem. ;o)
Thanks
~Drip-drip

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
Dude, Props. I was too embarrassed to ask and i have the same problem. ;o)
Thanks
~Drip-drip

glad i'm not the only one.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:17:35 PM »
ok yeah, that's pretty obvious. I knew it would be something that would make me look like an idiot for not figuring out. Haha thanks though.
Don't worry, we've all been there, and you'll have plenty more opportunities to look like an idiot before the job is done.

The thing that reassures me the most about tackling DIY plumbing projects is that the bar is not very high...

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
Don't worry, we've all been there, and you'll have plenty more opportunities to look like an idiot before the job is done.

The thing that reassures me the most about tackling DIY plumbing projects is that the bar is not very high...

Well after lots of swearing and several Lowe's trips I got it done. Not before flooding my kitchen though. Interesting story...

After actually fixing the faucet I turned the water back on under the sink ( I had turned off everything ) and apparently one valve had  already been turned off before I started. Which led to the ice maker on the fridge. Well my fridge doesn't have an icemaker, and so there was just an open pipe behind the fridge that started spraying water everywhere. So I turned it back off, pulled out the fridge, mopped up the water, and all is good now.

But that was prophetic about me looking like an idiot again before I was done haha.

Oh well. The history books will show that I successfully fixed the faucet, so that's what counts.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »
But that was prophetic about me looking like an idiot again before I was done haha.
Eh, well, that's how I became a prophet on faucet repairs, and now you're one too... "congratulations" and welcome to the club!

At least the open pipe started spewing immediately instead of being plugged with dirt or bug carcasses for the water pressure to work through at 2 AM...

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:49 AM »
...apparently one valve had  already been turned off before I started. Which led to the ice maker on the fridge. Well my fridge doesn't have an icemaker, and so there was just an open pipe behind the fridge that started spraying water everywhere....

I'm no master plumber... but you should probably cap this too.