Author Topic: Lawn Mower Smoking  (Read 3216 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Lawn Mower Smoking
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
I need some small engine advice.

My lawn mower smokes a lot for the first couple of minutes after I start it.  White smoke, smells like oil.  After a couple of minutes it stops completely.  Other than that the engine runs fine. It starts on the first pull and runs strong.

I suspect oil is leaking into the cylinder when it is sitting.  What causes this and how can I fix it?

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Lawn Mower Smoking
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »
White smoke generally means it is burning oil.  I'm assuming this is a push-mower?  What is the oil level at? Normal?  How old is the engine?  Have you recently changed the air filter?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
And when did you last change the oil?  My understanding is that mowers should get an oil change every 50 hours or once per year.  I had a mower that did that until I realized I had been running it dry.

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
On a  related note, what do people usually do with the old oil? I poured mine into an empty yogurt container and plan to drop it off at a toxic waste facility run by our city.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
On a  related note, what do people usually do with the old oil? I poured mine into an empty yogurt container and plan to drop it off at a toxic waste facility run by our city.

I am always able to find someone who has a waste oil burner in their shop that will burn it.  Provides free heat for them in the winter.  Free once you buy the expensive burner setup which requires a lot of filtration.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
Some places that do oil changes may take it as they may get paid for used oil by recyclers

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
Thanks for the good advice!  I will take action this weekend.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Generally white smoke is from one of two things. Either the crankcase breather has failed or the oil is contaminated. Both easy fixes.

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Generally white smoke is from one of two things. Either the crankcase breather has failed or the oil is contaminated. Both easy fixes.

Or a new pope has been selected.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!