Author Topic: Lady DIYers!  (Read 12075 times)

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Life Of An AmeriCorps VISTA
Lady DIYers!
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
Anyone working on sewing/crocheting/knitting projects out there?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:49:48 PM by BlueHeelerMommy »

Tabitha

• Stubble
Re: Lady DIYers!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
I have done a fair bit of sewing. These days it's mostly mending. I knit socks, and the occasional hat or slippers.

When I read DIY in the subject lists, I thought you meant home repairs, which I also enjoy.

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
I have done a fair bit of sewing. These days it's mostly mending. I knit socks, and the occasional hat or slippers.

When I read DIY in the subject lists, I thought you meant home repairs, which I also enjoy.

Ooops!  Should I move this then?  I just figured this was the place for this kind of thread, since it's crafty!

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »
I suspect in this branch, we should be discussing useful items we've made instead of purchasing, rather than a roll call of who does which craft.

I'll start. We wear wool knit slippers. I'd like suggestions for non-slip soles which will reduce wear (and therefore mending) Bonus point for no-cost solutions.

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
Are you uninterested in learning about the sewing/crocheting/knitting projects of the non-ladies of this forum?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 01:44:55 AM »
It's the right place for the subject but I's recommend changing the thread title if you can. I can bust out a saw as readily as my knitting needles and I know a few male sewers/knitters. Sewing/knitting is not "lady DIY", it is sewing and knitting.

I suspect in this branch, we should be discussing useful items we've made instead of purchasing, rather than a roll call of who does which craft.

I'll start. We wear wool knit slippers. I'd like suggestions for non-slip soles which will reduce wear (and therefore mending) Bonus point for no-cost solutions.

I've seen instructions for crochet slippers online where you start off with what I think is a bought insole (you could buy one of those cosy sheepy ones). You punch holes all round the edge and then do your first row of crochet into those holes and then just crochet up and round to make the top of the slipper. I imagine that the first row of stitches might wear out but if you were able to replace them readily (maybe just by unraveling a few, adding some more wool and recrocheting) then it seems like they'd last a long time.

On a related note, I have seen dabs or lines of hot glue being used to create a grippy surface. It's also occurred to me that if you knit the entire slipper, would painting the sole with a few thin layers of PVA help?

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 05:34:40 AM »
Drat, I was hoping this was going to be about other chick's building furniture and fixing homes but yeah I knit too.  I've knit 3 sweaters this year only one has been wearable (still in learning mode).  Yesterday I decided to try my hand at sewing to alter some men's t-shirts to fit since I can't find any women's shirts that fit through my shoulders.  I've only sewn curtains on a Machine so this will be an adventure.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 06:28:27 AM »
Weird thread.

I knit, but DH won't let me use his sewing machine. He is right, too. I have no patience for the details involved. My grandfather was the family champion at spinning yarn; no one else could get the thread so thin and even. My cousin developed this mean technique for double knitting, I learned the general concept, but never got the details the way he could. Pity you are not interested in what those men could contribute to this thread.

Not my grandfather, but a great uncle of some sort:

Sorry for interrupting your thread of prejudice and narrow gender roles.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 06:31:13 AM »

How do you knit them? Depending on your pattern, it could be easy to add thicker, sturdyer, and even non-slip yarn to the areas where you get the worst wear (soles, heal, toe).

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 07:07:20 AM »
Drat, I was hoping this was going to be about other chick's building furniture and fixing homes but yeah I knit too.  I've knit 3 sweaters this year only one has been wearable (still in learning mode).  Yesterday I decided to try my hand at sewing to alter some men's t-shirts to fit since I can't find any women's shirts that fit through my shoulders.  I've only sewn curtains on a Machine so this will be an adventure.
I've altered t-shirts in this way, and the thing I've found that makes it super easy is having a serger.  Last Halloween I needed a black turtleneck for my halloween costume, but somehow the only ones I could find were in the boy's section.  So I bought one that approximately fit, then altered it down by serging the side seams.  Now I have a fitted turtleneck that flares over my hips.

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:23 AM »
Weird thread.

I knit, but DH won't let me use his sewing machine. He is right, too. I have no patience for the details involved. My grandfather was the family champion at spinning yarn; no one else could get the thread so thin and even. My cousin developed this mean technique for double knitting, I learned the general concept, but never got the details the way he could. Pity you are not interested in what those men could contribute to this thread.

Not my grandfather, but a great uncle of some sort:

Sorry for interrupting your thread of prejudice and narrow gender roles.

Full disclosure, I originally intended to ask about how to replace bra straps and chickened out and finally freaked out when I couldn't delete/rename the thread.

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »

Yeah, sorry.  I'm working my way up to that kind of stuff, but originally I was going to ask about bra straps because I really hate buying new bras, hence the "lady DIYers" thing.  I freaked out about propriety after originally posting so I tried to delete the topic, and then settled for just replacing the content with something that wasn't about bras.  This wasn't supposed to be a role call kind of thing, I'm just easily freaked out.  :(

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
When I first saw the thread title, I read it as "Lazy DIYers!"  Boy, did I ever stumble into the wrong thread...

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
When I first saw the thread title, I read it as "Lazy DIYers!"  Boy, did I ever stumble into the wrong thread...
Yup.  Very sorry. :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
So, you're worried about internet strangers judging you because you're asking about replacing bra straps. Have you seen some of the threads on this forum? There's been at least 2 talking about menstrual cups.

Regardless, I needlepoint and am learning to sew. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing based on what happens to my bras that replacing the straps wouldn't do much to help. My bands always stretch out. Unless you're having different issues with your bras, then you'll have to suck it up with the rest of us and go bra shopping. I hate bra shopping too, so you're not alone.

Maybe there should be a get together specifically for women to go bra shopping.

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
So, you're worried about internet strangers judging you because you're asking about replacing bra straps. Have you seen some of the threads on this forum? There's been at least 2 talking about menstrual cups.

Regardless, I needlepoint and am learning to sew. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing based on what happens to my bras that replacing the straps wouldn't do much to help. My bands always stretch out. Unless you're having different issues with your bras, then you'll have to suck it up with the rest of us and go bra shopping. I hate bra shopping too, so you're not alone.

Yeah, I know it's something weird to get nervous about.  It's hilarious how quickly I can talk myself into, and then out of, talking about something!  But I totally get talking about DIVA/Menstrual cups.  They're amazing!  And you guessed correctly on the bra front. The shoulder elastics wear out remarkably fast, and it seems like a waste to just through out the entire bra over something so small.  I would definitely attend a get together for bra shopping!  At least I wouldn't be alone! ^_^

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 02:11:05 PM »

Me too!  I love building and refinishing stuff!  I do crochet and I'm trying to get a head start on Queen size blankets for my brothers for Christmas. UGH!  SO MUCH YARN!

About replacing bras straps, I've only done it once or twice, when I saw a cute bra that was the right cup size but had those teeny thin straps that don't give "the girls" enough support.

This link gives instruction on how to replace the straps:  http://www.thelingerieaddict.com/2013/11/replace-bra-straps.html   I've never tried replacing bands though.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »

Yeah, I know it's something weird to get nervous about.  It's hilarious how quickly I can talk myself into, and then out of, talking about something!  But I totally get talking about DIVA/Menstrual cups.  They're amazing!  And you guessed correctly on the bra front. The shoulder elastics wear out remarkably fast, and it seems like a waste to just through out the entire bra over something so small.  I would definitely attend a get together for bra shopping!  At least I wouldn't be alone! ^_^

I'm not excessively well-endowed, so maybe that's it? Or are you getting lower quality bras in general? Not that I can help with that - the brand I'd found has changed their design so now I'm back to square one again.

Make sure when you get bras that they fit properly. That might be part of it too. And revisit how you wash/dry your bras. The lifespan I got out of bras almost doubled when I stopped putting them in the dryer.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »
Please don't take this as anything negative, but this thread is hilarious.

I fell into this camp:
Drat, I was hoping this was going to be about other chick's building furniture and fixing homes but yeah I knit too.

Although, I really don't knit. I used to sew a lot of my own clothes and helped my littles learn some basic sewing over the weekend. But, these days I do a whole lot more construction and remodeling projects.

I switched to hanging all my bras to dry several years ago and found they have lasted a lot longer as well. Drying clothes in a machine has become so unpopular in my house that I gave up and just hang everything.

Full disclosure, I originally intended to ask about how to replace bra straps and chickened out and finally freaked out when I couldn't delete/rename the thread.

I think there is a way to rename stuff and I sometimes see threads titled please ignore or please delete. I actually like your original question though and am glad you asked it eventually. I've never thought of repairing bras although I mend pretty much everything else. Interesting thought.

BlueHeelerMommy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »

I'm not excessively well-endowed, so maybe that's it? Or are you getting lower quality bras in general? Not that I can help with that - the brand I'd found has changed their design so now I'm back to square one again.

Make sure when you get bras that they fit properly. That might be part of it too. And revisit how you wash/dry your bras. The lifespan I got out of bras almost doubled when I stopped putting them in the dryer.
I'm not very well endowed either, but I hadn't heard about the dryer thing!  Maybe that's my problem.  Regardless, I sucked it up last night and bought a couple of new pairs. Poo. :(

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
Yeah, I thought this thread was going to be about repairs, too, and started thinking about how I replaced the motor and switches in the vacuum, fixed the agitator in the washing machine, replaced the lower spray arm and door springs in our dishwasher, etc.

On a more crafty note, I did consider making maternity bras back in the day, then found some I liked so just bought them.

I've never had a problem with elastic. It is always the fabric in the back panels that wears out first for me (after years of use), but I hang all the washing, so maybe that is a factor??

On the crafty/making front I do some crochet. Have a few blankets done and a few in progress (waiting for more wool scraps). I love Attic24. I'm also looking at knitting some socks, like Winwick Mum, but have no knitting experience. It will have to wait until I'm on uni break to tackle that.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »

I'm not very well endowed either, but I hadn't heard about the dryer thing!  Maybe that's my problem.  Regardless, I sucked it up last night and bought a couple of new pairs. Poo. :(

They last best if you only wash them in lingerie bags (or better still, handwash!) and hang to dry inside.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »
Maybe what we need is a "What are you crafting right now?" thread where we can share our sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc projects?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

Obviously you guys haven't seen Hedwig and the Angry Inch You don't put a bra in a dryer!

But I agree with HappierAtHome wash in a lingerie bag or hand wash. And I don't own a dryer so I dont have the dryer problem.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
We wear wool knit slippers. I'd like suggestions for non-slip soles which will reduce wear (and therefore mending) Bonus point for no-cost solutions.

It's not no cost, but it is low cost. Purchase old leather or suede jackets from the thrift store and use a template to cut out the soles.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
We wear wool knit slippers. I'd like suggestions for non-slip soles which will reduce wear (and therefore mending) Bonus point for no-cost solutions.

It's not no cost, but it is low cost. Purchase old leather or suede jackets from the thrift store and use a template to cut out the soles.

You can also buy puffy craft/fabric paint to "paint" non-slip stripes on the bottom the knit socks.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »

Or just the circles under the heels and the ball of the foot, which tends to be the slippy bits. Sometimes it's easier to fit those in pieces of scrap leather.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 06:54:09 AM »
Crafty - knitting lead me down the rabbit hole of buying a fleece, washing, carding, spinning and dyeing.  Now I have started weaving (rigid heddle loom).  I do sew, and crochet a bit, but this has taken over my craft time and space.

DIY - stripped wallpaper and painted my basement, refinished some chairs, sanded and stained and varnished wood furniture.  SamaN is a great brand (and Canadian, based in Victoriavlle, Quebec), water based, no smell.

@gaja, great picture of a great wheel (walking wheel).

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »

There is a bra fitter in Naperville, IL who is fantastic and does fittings as well as washing/rotating lessons.  Seriously, it is a thing that will make your bras last longer, fit better, and actually be cheaper in the long run.  Now if the Lady MMM meetup that Gray Matter is talking about happens in Chicago I just might have to try and get them to come and do a presentation for us.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »
There is a bra fitter in Naperville, IL who is fantastic and does fittings as well as washing/rotating lessons.

Washing/rotating lessons? Elaborate pls. I'm assuming hand-wash with a delicate detergent (or in a lingerie bag in the washing machine if you MUST), hang dry, don't wear 2 days in a row to help preserve the elastic? Or is there something I don't know?

(Comfortable and well-fitted bras are $$$$. I'd like them to last as long as possible.)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
There is a bra fitter in Naperville, IL who is fantastic and does fittings as well as washing/rotating lessons.

Washing/rotating lessons? Elaborate pls. I'm assuming hand-wash with a delicate detergent (or in a lingerie bag in the washing machine if you MUST), hang dry, don't wear 2 days in a row to help preserve the elastic? Or is there something I don't know?

(Comfortable and well-fitted bras are $$$$. I'd like them to last as long as possible.)

You are correct....no washer/no dryer, 3 bras if not on a weight loss plan (1 to wash, 1 to wear, 1 to spare) or only 2 if on a weight loss plan, washing every other time you wear the bra (not every time), and not to abuse them when you put them away as folding is important. Very important is the delicate detergent that doesn't require squishing the bra to remove dirt/oil.  She also covers lots of issues women have with bras: sagging, bagging, bulging, lack of symmetry, back fat, etc....She normally does an initial 30 minute fitting/consultation your first visit, and also does bra alterations for those with "generous" proportions, but she also does ladies events.  You can get an extra 40-50% life out of a bra by handling it properly, and since they are so expensive, it's actually mustachian to handle them properly.

All you ever needed to know about the bra! ;-)