Author Topic: Knitting help  (Read 7331 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Knitting help
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
I hope this is the right forum.

I'm new to knitting, and I'm trying to learn more stitches and patterns. I cam across the attached shawl pattern that I'd like to make for my mother for her birthday. The challenge is I can't find an explanation for two of the stitches. The pattern mentions:

sst with yo = slip stitch with yarn over: slip stitch as if to purl together with yarn over
ptog with YO = purl the stitch together with yarn over

Does anyone have any videos for those two stitches?

Thank you!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Knitting help
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
For the first one, do you know how to do a regular "slip as if to purl"? (https://knitting-crochet.wonderhowto.com/how-to/slip-stitch-purl-row-0134121/)
When you get to that point in the pattern, you should have a regular stitch with a yarn over either before or after it. For this, you can just pretend the YO is another stitch. All you need to do is: instead of sticking the needle in only the regular stitch to slip it, stick the needle through both the stitch and the neighboring YO. Then slip them, together. So it will look like the video in the link above, except there will be two wraps of yarn on your needle instead of one.

For the second one, do you know how to do a regular "purl two together"? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z6I8trai1U)
Again, pretend the YO is just another stitch, and do that.

Does that help at all? :)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
I don't think I understand. I thought the YO was on the right needle. The way you're describing it, it sounds like it's on the left.

For the second, do I put the YO on the right needle and purl? Is that what you're saying?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
I don't know the context, but I'm assuming when it says YO it means a yarn over that you did on the previous row and is now sitting on the left needle with the rest of your stitches. Is that not the case? Is it asking you to do the YO right then as part of the current row? (If you meant to attach the pattern it's not showing up...)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
You might ask this question on Ravelry - it's a terrific resource.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
I agree with aetherie - probably the YO is on the previous row and you'll slip (or purl) it along with the other stitch.

What's the pattern?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
I tried attaching the pattern and the forum told me it was too big. Here's the link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/criss-cross-13

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Ohhh, it's brioche. I haven't done any brioche personally but that makes the context clearer. My explanation for the p2tog with YO stands, but for the other one maybe try this article (which refers to it as Sl1yo but it's the same as your "sst with YO"): http://www.craftsfromthecwtch.co.uk/2016/01/brioche-knitting-part-1.html

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »
I tried attaching the pattern and the forum told me it was too big. Here's the link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/criss-cross-13

Oooooh, it's a brioche stitch.  Row 15, you knit the first stitch, then bring the yarn to the front and slip the next stitch purl wise.  Then you bring your yarn over the needle (rather than taking it to the back between the needles) and knit the next stitch.  You'll have the slipped stitch and a YO on top of each other, plus the knit stitch.  Then do it again, bringing the yarn to the front, slipping a stitch, and knitting the next.

Each time you'll have a stitch with another stitch on top of it, plus a plain stitch. 

On the return row, you'll just purl that stitch with a stitch on top, then knit the next - all the way across the row.

It looks like you're almost doubling your stitch count on the first row, then reducing it on the second.  It makes for a very squishy fabric.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:41 AM »
Good Lord. Well, this thread has cured me of any desire to try to learn how to knit. lol

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the help, everyone. :) Looks like Mom is getting a card for her birthday.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 05:50:20 AM »
wait wait!! Don't give up yet!! I will help you today, after I drop off kids to school!!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 06:44:35 AM »
Thanks for the help, everyone. :) Looks like Mom is getting a card for her birthday.
That's a pretty pattern. Maybe one day if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll give it a go.

Here's a different one, which does have some yarn overs but otherwise it's just knit stitches. And because of the way you knit it means you start at the point and keep getting bigger. So if you decide that with your wool/needle combination it's not big enough, you can add more. Or less, if you think it's gotten big enough already. And if you use chunky wool and big needles, it really does knit up very quickly. Going to try to attach a photo of one that I made so you can see that even someone who doesn't normally do much more than things that are square or rectangular in shape can manage this one.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
I think anyone who's done knit and YO stitches can do the first pattern - it's just a matter of picking up some needles and scrap yarn and trying it out.  Don't be intimidated!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
You picked a gorgeous pattern! Knitting is not so intimidating if you just remember that you do only one stitch at a time.

Let's break down "sst with yo"
Here is step 1 (at 55 seconds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wimiyX2ZXWA

To explain what just happened, she just sticks her right needle in from the back of the loop AS IF she were going to purl, and passes the loop from left to right without wrapping it with yarn.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
Step 2: Do the yarnover.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdot1KNYmw

Explanation: The working yarn is probably still behind your work after you've slipped the purl stitch. Now you loop the yarn over the tip of your right needle, then do a regular purl stitch (following the pattern).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
When you get to "ptog with YO" in the pattern, do this.

Step 1: Stick your right needle through TWO loops at the same time. One of those loops will be the yarnover you made in the previous row.

Step 2: Pretend those two loops are just one loop.  Purl them normally, as if you were just doing one purl stitch.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
Just in case you do give this a try sometime, don't get confused when the instructions change from using "WS" (wrong side/purl side) to "LS" (left side). It looks like he didn't quite change everything from the German version. In case you didn't know it already the German for knit and purl literally translates as knitting right (knit) and knitting left (purl).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:04:20 PM by Moonwaves »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 05:43:45 AM »
In case you didn't know it already the German for knit and purl literaly translates as knitting right (knit) and knitting left (purl).

That is fascinating-- never knew that!  Those names are a lot more helpful than the English words.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »
Thank you so much, that new explanation helps a lot, as did the video. I've got some scrap yarn and I'll give it a try next week. Mom's birthday isn't until October, so I've got a little bit of time. :)

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Another knitter saying you can do it! I often find that strange sounding knitting stitches make a lot more sense once I can see it in context with the previous rows and surrounding stitches. If I just have faith and try it out as written, it usually becomes clear. So definitely try a little swatch before giving up because if you can do a regular slip stitch & P2tog, you can do this. Really. Set it up with your scrap yarn and try it out.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
+1 Don't overthink it: Directions often confuse me and then, when I actually do the thing, it's fine.  Knit on, through all things! :)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Hi everyone! Just an update: it took an embarassingly long time to get the brioche stitch right, and I messed up my count on the first round, but despite that I'm on my way to knitting a really pretty shawl for Mom's birthday in October!

Pictures are attached. :)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
Looks great!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 05:26:11 AM »
Wow. Well, I'm impressed!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
Thank you! You guys were a big help, and very patient! :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
Great job!! Lovely yarn, too.

I had to laugh though because of the contrast between your username and your question. I have an image of a warlord in a horned helmet patiently trying to count knit and purl stitches!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »
The yarn was on sale!

It's funny. I'm a pretty slim and girly-girl woman. Pink dresses, shoes, and lipstick. Kitties, flowers, and knitting. Reading and tea. Not at all a large, boisterous Viking Warlord. But when I think about how I see myself and it's this guy:

http://www.aresmythologic.com/v2/53-162-large/abar-g11-viking-warlord.jpg

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »
Well done! It looks great!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:06 AM »
I spoke too soon. I messed it up and posted a new topic begging for help. :(