Author Topic: Is this a reasonable quote for a demolition job?  (Read 6123 times)

sandandsun

• Stubble
Is this a reasonable quote for a demolition job?
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »
I need to have an old home and a couple of old storage buildings on the same property that need to be demolished.  House is about 1200 square ft.  and both extra buildings together are about 300 sq. ft., so 1500 sq ft of structure total...
Quote to demolish all and haul out all debris, grade dirt and seed was 6800.00. Does that sound like a reasonable amount to those of you who have experience with demolition jobs?  This amount excludes asbestos testing that I will have to do in advance at an added expense.
Thanks in advance for any information...

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is this a reasonable quote for a demolition job?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »
Two years ago we had an small house torn down.  It had asbestos shingles, so we removed the shingles and bagged and disposed of them ourselves to get the price down.  The best price we got was $4000 after we removed the shingles.  That was tear down, debris removal, grading, but not any seeding. 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
Tough to say without having any geographical hints, or a more detailed description of the scope of work.  It might be fair deal, dirt cheap or crazy high, depending on many factors. In these parts, an eight hour day with a medium sized hydraulic excavator and operator goes for a grand, an hour south, the same day is $1400.  Forty yard dumpsters are $6-700 a piece. I have built a house on the exact spot where the existing house was lost to an arson fire. The inspectors made the original homeowner remove every single pebble of evidence that the existing house ever existed, including removing all the block walls and footers and hauling them off site. Then the grade was restored to existing natural contours, That one ran $20K. I have also seen jobs where the intent was to use the existing concrete basement and the demo. crew had to remove everything, leaving the basement in good shape and swept clean. Those jobs were a lot cheaper than your quote. If the foundation can be knocked into the hole and covered with existing fill on site, it is way cheaper than if the masonry needs to be removed and the job needs a few hundred yards of fill dirt.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies! here is a little more info to maybe help:
- house has no real foundation, old wood frame house on cinderblock/brick
- located in southeast US, low COL area
- house and storage buildings both still have substantial junk/debris and the quote includes dump/hauling fees

thanks again!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »
OK, that's a bit more to work with. My gut feeling is that it's a fairly big number for the scope of work. That said, there are some wild cards. You may be in an area with extremely high disposal costs, or there may be an unusual volume of material to haul. OTOH, if the buildings are accessible (not buried in trees and brush) and the lot is flat, there are only a few hours of machine time needed to demo. and load everything.

A few thoughts. First, can you do a controlled burn?  In these parts the volunteer fire companies will burn old houses down as a training exercise. If you are allowed to burn it yourself, with a fire crew on site, or can get the dept. to do it, the job becomes a lot cheaper. Second, make sure that you have at least two bids from reputable contractors. Make sure that you are dealing with outfits that are fully insured. As you can imagine, there are no limits to the stupidity some of these guys can dream up, from wrecking the wrong house to getting somebody killed, it's all been done before, repeatedly. Finally, if you are limiting your contractor search to strictly demolition specialty contractors, remember that many excavation contractors do the same work. I us two subcontractors locally that each end up demoing a house or two a year. Typically it's homes that burned. Excavation contractors often have a hydraulic excavator that equipped with a "thumb" that allow them to grab loads. Good luck, it sounds like an interesting project.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
Paddedhat: thank you so much for your thoughtful reply- this was exactly the type of guidance I was looking for... im getting my second quote soon, but hadn't thought of using an excavating co....  and yes, you are correct, Ive had several offers from 'guys that live around here' to tear it down them selves, but I don't want the liability of that.  I was told informally it can take up to a year to get the permits for a controlled burn, but I need to verify that myself- thanks for the reminder to look into that option!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
As paddlehat said, hard to compare apples to apples in different areas/situations.

Here (near DC -HCOL) $6,800 would be a steal. But our permitting/fencing/regulations bonds etc. make the pricing crazy. Still I would guess dumpsters are still $300+ in your area so the house and outbuildings you describe could easily 5-10 dumpsters (also depends on how full of shit they are). So by the time you add a perimt, labor, equipment, grading, etc. it does not sound bad to me.

I would second the advise to avoid the local yahoos. Get 2-3 quotes from reputable folks and see what you come up with!

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
Thanks, longwaytogo...  I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but the quote was for dump trucks hauling debris out as it comes down, so no dumpsters involved.
I'm still in the process of getting another quote- and still trying to look into a supervised burn.  And then There's my dad's advice to 'let the damn thing fall in and haul it away later'... It's a pretty rural area, so not too much in the way of permits and regs...  But no emergency so I've got some time to look at all options :)
Thanks!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »
Don't forget to contact your local Fire Station to see if they would want to burn it down for you for training purposes.  That's done occasionally where I live.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
Thanks, Greg- I am waiting for a call back from them to see if that is a possibility!