Author Topic: Is there a way to sharpen Wahl Clippers?  (Read 17227 times)

cowbellfever123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is there a way to sharpen Wahl Clippers?
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »
I've been cutting my own hair for a few years with a pair of $30 Wahl clippers. They are getting dull and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to sharpen them, or if I'll need to pick up a new pair in the near future?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Is there a way to sharpen Wahl Clippers?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
In the Wahl FAQ site under "BLADES" you will find
"Q. What about blade sharpening?
A. Blades may be sharpened by sending them to: Wahl Annex, 3001 North Locust Street, Sterling, IL 61081. Attention Wahl Repair Department."

Not the most helpful answer, as it doesn't say if there is a cost, how to disassemble and package the blades, etc. - but you can take that up with Wahl if you want.

For non-Wahl Co. suggestions, google "sharpening Wahl clippers" and you'll find various suggestions (and maybe more details about the Wahl sharpening service?).

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:35:56 AM »
There are lots of videos online showing how to do it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
I've been cutting my own hair for a few years with a pair of $30 Wahl clippers. They are getting dull and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to sharpen them, or if I'll need to pick up a new pair in the near future?

Make sure you're maintaining the blade with oil too. They shouldn't get dull that fast.

BigHammah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
I haven't paid for a haircut since mid-2003.

Same here, I own a pair of Wahl Clippers that I paid around $30 for. At 2+ cuts a month, this thing has been used 250-300 times.

To date, my maintenance has consisted of taking the guard off, cleaning hair out and dabbing a few drops of oil on the blade. I've only done this twice. I have yet to notice any real wear on the blades. You have to realize we're talking about a good gauge of steel against skin and tissue - it will take some serious use to wear it down.

When they do wear down, try the Wahl route, but I seriously doubt that the blade will be sharpened - if you look online you can find replacements for less than $10. They probably just send you a new one for a cost. These are precision machined probably for a few cents each - I'd be surprised if Wahl is investing in labor & equipment when it would cost them far less to just swap out a blade.

Unless you really want to learn how to sharpen these blades, I would just invest in a new blade. It's environmentally friendly, since the old blades can be recycled.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »

Make sure you're maintaining the blade with oil too. They shouldn't get dull that fast.

Oil is important... but... different hair does do different things.  One of my dogs has a super-fine, super-thick undercoat.  He is hell on blades.  In fact, he's hell on the motor of the cheaper clippers.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
Side question! Do you guys know what kind of store carries Wahl oil? It seems silly to order a $7 bottle from Amazon (I don't have prime) if I can find one within a bike ride's distance. So far I've tried Kroger and Home depot, no luck.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
any thin non-gumming oil should work pretty well. 3-in-one is a popular brand that you can find at the hardware store

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
any thin non-gumming oil should work pretty well. 3-in-one is a popular brand that you can find at the hardware store
+1 

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
Side question! Do you guys know what kind of store carries Wahl oil? It seems silly to order a $7 bottle from Amazon (I don't have prime) if I can find one within a bike ride's distance. So far I've tried Kroger and Home depot, no luck.
See http://conspiracyofgood.com/2013/03/hair-clipper-oil-alternatives-what-can-i-use-instead/ and https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006022010369 for some thoughts. 
You're not alone having trouble finding it locally.  From one of the pages I checked: "I’ve noticed that most drugstores and discount chains in my area don’t stock hair clipper oil."

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
Perfect, I already have some 3-in-1 lying around. Will use that. Thanks!

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
Whal will sharpen them (I think its like $2 each plus shipping) If you ahve a bunch its worth it, not for one though, just buy a new one from amazon or Whal. They do make special blade for dogs with corse hair. (I have alwyas clipped all my dogs) they work well and last several years.