Author Topic: insulating a glass door?  (Read 4400 times)

reepstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
insulating a glass door?
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
My landlord has equipped the interior doors in my apartment with a glass style door that looks like a shower door, though it has regular hinges. It isn't a a sliding door. There isn't room at the top or bottom of the door to drape cloth over and still have the door shut freely.

How can I insulate the door? I'm in Europe and heating is ffing expensive.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: insulating a glass door?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
Stick bubblewrap to the doors, bubbles on the inside.

The Architect

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »
Why do you need to insulate interior doors? Do you have rooms you don't use at all? If so, why can't you just seal those off?

reepstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:16 AM »
Each room is separately heated, so there is no need to heat the whole house, and yes, there are rooms I don't use. I don't care about insulating those tons, just the ones I'm living in. Bubble wrap is a good call.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:52:53 AM »
I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, but when I first read the title, I read it as "insulting a glass door?" and I amused myself by thinking of various ways to insult a glass door. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 06:22:13 AM »
Are there gaps between the door and the frame?  Seal those.  You can use actual weather stripping or if you never go in that room packing tape over the boundary, tape might pull paint off. 

reepstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
I would think that it would be pretty insulting to tell it that it had shitty insulating properties. :-p

There are gaps because there actually isn't a frame...the hinges are mounted directly to the wall. I know I can cover those in the rooms I don't use, but how can I open and shut the door if I stuff the gaps?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »
What about a thick (velvet?) curtain? I have some of these in a small room that help with noise and provide privacy for the glass doors.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »
Hang a curtain over the doorway and use rings on the rod so that you can pull it all the way to one side or the other.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
Hang a curtain over the doorway and use rings on the rod so that you can pull it all the way to one side or the other.

+1, some real HGTV stuff here.

PeachFuzzStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, but when I first read the title, I read it as "insulting a glass door?" and I amused myself by thinking of various ways to insult a glass door.

You make a better door than a window, move it!  Actually, you suck as a door too, get a handle on yourself. 
You're off-hinged. 
Don't give me that crap, I can see right through you!
I see you swing both ways, good for you, just not interested.

I saw your mom last night, left her with some stained panes.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
We have a room in our rental home that was an addition to the original house.  It contains our washer, dryer, a small closet, and our 2nd (half) bath, and a door to our driveway.  Seems like it is completely uninsulated, once measured 20 °F than the room next door.  (60 something in the kitchen, 40 something in the adjacent cold room).  Anyway, there's a opening that's as large as a regular size door between the cold room and the kitchen.  We stuck a tension rod in the frame and put a very thick cotton curtain in the doorway.  It works wonders.