Author Topic: Idiot-proof instructions for a complete service on an older bike?  (Read 2378 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
My bike is from the 80s and so has some slightly different parts from newer bikes (e.g. gear lever at junction of handlebars, no quick-release wheels). It's been kept outside under cover and I've only been cycling it occasionally for the past three years as I've just moved from somewhere so walkable getting on the bike seemed like a waste of effort, but having looked at how much I spent on public transport last month I think it's time to get serious again! I'd like to give it a complete service and I'd like to do it myself. The gears are catching but apart from that I think it just needs a deep clean and a tune up.

I live near a Halfords so can go and buy whatever tools I need, I now have a back garden to work in, and I'm happy to take a whole sunny day to work through it slowly, but I have very little idea what I'm doing and do not want to be speeding down the road on something I'm not confident is put back together properly! I went on a four hour bicycle maintenance course a few years ago but have basically forgotten everything. I'd really like some super-detailed, confidence-boosting instructions. I do better with written/pictorial instructions than video but I'll have a look at anything you really recommend.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Idiot-proof instructions for a complete service on an older bike?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
Take a look at Sheldon Brown's website also.  Sheldon passed a few years ago but his site has been maintained and has tons of easy to understand, practical how-to articles.  Better than Park Tool for a novice, IMO, as Sheldon often had practical work arounds to substitute for expensive tools or parts.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
And how do I know what to DO? And what to do first? Is there a checklist or an order of work or something to service a bike?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:00 AM »
And how do I know what to DO? And what to do first? Is there a checklist or an order of work or something to service a bike?

Maintenance is ongoing with bikes. I find that I need a new chain every 3,000 miles, tires can last 7,000 miles, etc.

If the bike is really old and hasn't been maintained, I would start with this list:

1) Check to see if you need a new chain and cassette, and possibly chainrings - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

2) Check your brake pads to see how worn they are, and replace if necessary.

3) Check the cables (brakes and shifters) - if they're fraying and/or rusty, time for new ones. If they look rusty, the cable housings should probably be changed out too.

4) Cranks and pedals - unless you hear a lot of squeaking, grinding, or clicking from the bottom bracket (where the cranks are attached), I'd just leave these alone and make sure everything is oiled and moving smoothly.

5) Tires/tubes - tires can develop cracks when they get old. If they are in really bad shape, it's probably time for new ones. Tubes are cheap, so if they are old, i'd replace those too.

6) Headset. Go down to the troubleshooting section of this link and see if you have any of these issues. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

If you have any bike shops close to you, ask them if they do any classes on bike maintenance. Two of my local bike stores offer classes that are great for beginners. One store had you bring your own bike and work on it, and the second store just worked on one bike with the group watching what they did.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:29:52 AM »

Maintenance is ongoing with bikes. I find that I need a new chain every 3,000 miles, tires can last 7,000 miles, etc.

If the bike is really old and hasn't been maintained, I would start with this list:

1) Check to see if you need a new chain and cassette, and possibly chainrings - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

2) Check your brake pads to see how worn they are, and replace if necessary.

3) Check the cables (brakes and shifters) - if they're fraying and/or rusty, time for new ones. If they look rusty, the cable housings should probably be changed out too.

4) Cranks and pedals - unless you hear a lot of squeaking, grinding, or clicking from the bottom bracket (where the cranks are attached), I'd just leave these alone and make sure everything is oiled and moving smoothly.

5) Tires/tubes - tires can develop cracks when they get old. If they are in really bad shape, it's probably time for new ones. Tubes are cheap, so if they are old, i'd replace those too.

6) Headset. Go down to the troubleshooting section of this link and see if you have any of these issues. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

If you have any bike shops close to you, ask them if they do any classes on bike maintenance. Two of my local bike stores offer classes that are great for beginners. One store had you bring your own bike and work on it, and the second store just worked on one bike with the group watching what they did.

Thanks for the list. It was new-to-me about five years ago in tip-top condition, so I'm hoping it shouldn't need too much to get it back on the road.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:14 AM »
Thanks for the list. It was new-to-me about five years ago in tip-top condition, so I'm hoping it shouldn't need too much to get it back on the road.

Yeah, if it was in good shape then, it shouldn't need much.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!