Author Topic: How to replace windshield wiper fluid reservoir (2001 Toyota Camry)?  (Read 3200 times)

Lifeblood

• Stubble
I am having trouble finding a video on-line that would guide me, an automotive repair novice, through the process of replacing a windshield wiper fluid reservoir on my 2001 Toyota Camry. I guess my web-searching skills need work. Can anyone point me to a specific website or video? I would be appreciative.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to replace windshield wiper fluid reservoir (2001 Toyota Camry)?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
If you plan on doing more of your own maintenance/repair work, it's worth investing at least in a Haynes manual for your car, if not the full factory service manual.  They'll have step-by-step instructions, often illustrated, for how to do the job.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »
Check the library for Chilton or Haynes repair manuals.  Our city library has an online version available in it's digital branch as well as a paper version in the library.

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
Great tip re: the manual! I will check that out (first at library, but I would consider purchasing the book. It would pay for itself if I can avoid one trip to the garage. I realize lots of material is available on-line for free, but sometimes it is hard to find.

Ankenystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
I am gonna assume since your a mustachian that you have the 2.2L engine instead of the 3.0L. When i get to the shop tommorow morning i will pull up prodemand and see what they have for information. Also what model of car do you have. Any reason why you are wanting to replace it, I assume its leaking.

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:11:44 PM »
Yes, it's a 2.2 liter. This car is actually my in-laws and pre-dates my stubble. Thanks for checking!

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »
The reason I want to replace it is because there is a fairly substantial crack less than half-way up. I found an inexpensive replacement on-line, which I have sitting next to me. Model is CX.

Ankenystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
Looking at pictures online it looks like your going to have to take the front bumper off... once that is off it's going to be 3 bolts and just take the pump off. It's just pushed into the housing with a grommet. It's not a difficult job should take about a hour or two with some basic hand tools... if you want I can get the instructions on how to remove and install the front cover... being a 2001 it is probably going to be a little rusty and if you have any push type plastic clips they will probably need replaced but oreillys usually carries them.

Oh_Wrd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:40 AM »
I don't think you need to take off the front bumper like someone else suggested- it is just the spash guard inside the wheel base that needs to be removed IIRC.  BUT, if you just have a little crack, all you really need is to get some epoxy, work it into the crack and leave it a little thicker on the outside.  Let it dry overnight then refill the resevioir.   You can either disconnect the hose to drain it ( still requires removing the guard in the wheel well probably) - or just siphon out the  washer fluid.

Ankenystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
Usually the plastic holding a washer bottle will not accept epoxy very well, and if it does it may not be for long, as well as most urethanes. You can take the splash shield out but you will have to have a couple swivels to get into the right spot. The washer bottle itself bolts to the apron of the car. If the bumper is off the car, which isnt tough to do, you can get right to it. Taking a bumper off the car is a good thing to know, once you do it, you will open yourself up to a lot of knowledge, especially if you ever want to replace the radiator/condensor.

Take your time, label the bolts, and you will have no trouble at all. I would put it in the difficulty of doing brakes. Once you have done a set, you have the general idea and everything else seems do-able.

Good luck to ya