Author Topic: How to cut through hanging particleboard sheeting?  (Read 6072 times)

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to cut through hanging particleboard sheeting?
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
The garage loft in the house I purchased has severely overnotched studs from the previous owners installing a garage door opener. I need to sure up the loft but need to see you where the 2x4 braces are on the wall for additional stud placement. This particle board sheeting is preventing me from seeing the braces. What is the best saw & or technique for cutting through this particleboard stuff? Many thanks for any advice!!            

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to cut through hanging particleboard sheeting?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
Is it the thin stuff enough so that you can take a box cutter, score it, then break it off?

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
Is it the thin stuff enough so that you can take a box cutter, score it, then break it off?

I just tried that but it's over a 1/4 inch thick and not going to cut it. Thanks for the thought tho!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
Is what's behind it fragile/important? If it's just plywood underneath you can try really scoring with the boxcutter. Push hard, make a little incision, and then try to run the blade down from that.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
Circular saw with depth set at exactly 1/4"

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »

+1

Only way to do it.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »

+1,  Not entirely  clear on what you're trying to accomplish, but a circular saw would work great for removing a large section of it.

If you're just looking to remove a small portion, I would drill a pilot hole and use a keyhole saw.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:59:09 PM by BDWW »

fullpampers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
A oscillating tool might be a good option too. Like the dremel multimax. I keep congratulating myself on getting one.

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
thanks for the suggestions!  I think I might have a keyhole saw somewhere around here.  I don't own any power tools, but the local tool library has some that I can borrow. I know they have some circular saws. Can I use the circular saw on the hanging board? I'll check to see if they have an oscillating tool.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »
A oscillating tool might be a good option too. Like the dremel multimax. I keep congratulating myself on getting one.

Really? I have the multimax, and find it pretty useless. About all I use for now is scraping paint. The teeth haven't held up when I've tried cutting anything, and it's abysmally slow...

fullpampers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »

Really? I have the multimax, and find it pretty useless. About all I use for now is scraping paint. The teeth haven't held up when I've tried cutting anything, and it's abysmally slow...

Do you have the battery powered version? I heard the battery powered one wasn't any good as it was not powerful enough.

I recently changed some windows and had strips of drywall to remove to insulate around the windows.

I've cut out kitchen cabinet bottoms to replace them without removing the cabinets and it did a good job of flush cutting tonthe cabinet walls.

And when i did my bathroom i was glad i had it when i had to cut some wood around plumbing in odd spots from the basement ceiling.

I got it on sale at 50$ thought. At 120$ (IIRC) i might have more trouble justifiying the cost.

But yeah, cutting holes in drywall, wood, if i need to trim or cut anything that is in a tight or odd spot i find it works really well.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
Circular saw would be the quickest, and is probably what I would grab. The other choice would be a jig-saw, with the understanding the thin, unsupported material can turn a jig saw cut into a real rodeo ride, as the saw whips the entire sheet up and down. If you do the jig saw, it takes a fine tooth blade and a firm grip, but it will work. The other choice would be to pull the sheet down to either cut or replace it. Thin particle board will probably come down in chunks however.