Author Topic: How easy is it to replace car Headlamp unit  (Read 1510 times)

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How easy is it to replace car Headlamp unit
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:05:19 AM »
Hello

My car failed it's MOT on one point, headlight height adjustment has freezed, they quoted for a whole new headlight assembly £250! 

I'm thinking I might be able to do this myself, I was just wondering whereabouts on a headlamp is the part number, I can't find it and how easy/tricky is this job?

Thanks in advance for any advice

acepedro45

• Bristles
Re: How easy is it to replace car Headlamp unit
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »
It depends on the car, but on most cars replacing a headlight is easy and can be done with hand tools and some patience. There are video tutorials available for most cars.

It's hard to tell from your post if you really need to replace it. Is it possible to just adjust the aim of the headlight a bit higher? Or is it one of the fancy newer ones that aims around corners and higher/lower based on your speed?

Most stores or websites that supply auto parts can supply you with a list of replacement parts if you give them the make, model and year of your car. That's an easier route than looking for the part number on the headlight itself.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
There are YouTube videos for just about anything like this.
Watch one for changing a headlight on your particular make / model car.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 08:00:04 AM »
It's hard to answer your questions without knowing your car's year/make/model. Headlight replacement is typically pretty straight forward, however.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
Thanks, watched a few you tube videos, looks relatively straight forward...the garage said the height adjustment had frozen...so it could be the adjuster motor...looks like I just need to take off front grill and bumper and disconnect....

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
It depends on the car, but on most cars replacing a headlight is easy and can be done with hand tools and some patience.
This isn't universally true any more.  My Ford Fusion, for example, requires removal of the whole front bumper, grill, etc assembly.  It takes a professional with good tools and a lift 4 hrs.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
As said, completely depends on the car.  In one of my cars, it's simply opening the hood, half turn out the headlight bulb receptical from the back.  Pop out the bulb and put in a new one.  Another car I had used HID headlamps.  That required some diagnosis and I ended up swapping controllers and lamps.  In the end, some wires were broken, which was good news as any HID parts are not cheap.

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
It is a pretty easy job on most cars...but be careful about buying aftermarket headlights online!  I've had to send two sets back (to two different vendors, both selling on Amazon) after installation...only to find out the adjusters were broken.  The children in my neighborhood all learned a few new words that week!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!