Author Topic: Homemade beauty products  (Read 13843 times)

Snow White

• Stubble
Homemade beauty products
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
I have successfully kicked the habit of getting professional manicures/pedicures and brow waxes.  I used to color my hair but I also stopped that and for the first time in years actually know what my real hair color is! ;). These changes are mostly the result of reading MMM and starting to track the cost of my "beauty" habits.  Plus, hubby gently pointed out to me when I was moaning that I couldn't possibly care for my own nails that MOST people on the planet do so and have done so though out history.  Duh. 

Now I am ready to tackle the products that I use on my face, body and hair.  So, would folks share what homemade or repurposed goodies they use?  Stuff like exfoliants, lotions, shampoo, hair conditioner, bath salts, that kind of stuff?

Thanks!
Snow White minus the seven men (darn)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Homemade beauty products
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »
Combination moisturizer and lip balm: roughly 10 parts Crisco to 1 part honey (you want it just beige and not sticky). Bonus: it tastes great! Also works to remove makeup if you wear it.

Hair conditioner: diluted apple cider vinegar. Detangles and shines. You can dilute 20:1 or so and still get the full effect, and you smell faintly of apples but not at all of vinegar when it dries (some vinegar smell while wet, so don't let it worry you).

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
Hi Snow White, welcome

There is a great thread here...
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/lady-staches/msg64828/#msg64828

Otherwise I too am exploring this, and people recommend the site Crunchy Betty http://www.crunchybetty.com/

But I'm curious to see what others say too : )

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
My favorite bath salts are just plain Epsom salts. You can put a few drops of essential oil into the water if you want a nice smell, too, but plain Epsom salts make for the most soothing, relaxing bath I've ever had. Plus they dont dry out my skin like lots of fancy bath products do.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
Hi. I have made a goal as of 1/1/2013 not to buy as many beauty products. I always did my own nails, but had a weakness for buying products. I have gradually used up items, and only intendd to buy shampoo for this year.

I am using organic unrefined coconut oil for my hair conditioning, and shaving cream. I do still shave, but less now and my skin is so soft Since I ran out of shampoo and conditioner first this has been my replacement. Eventually I will use it as lotion too in the shower, but still using up my body lotion. 

rue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
I make my own moisturiser here's the recipe
4 parts Aloe Vera gel
1 part vegetable glycerine

* Mix well and store in the refrigerator.

I can't manage to keep Aloe Vera plants alive around here so I use gel purchased from Aussie Soap Supplies, but you can, naturally, use your own gel scraped from the insides of aloe vera leaves. As the commercial gel contains a mild, non-toxic preservative, and I don't make up very much at a time, I don't keep my moisturiser in the fridge.

I make cold pressed soap which I use on my hair too.  Mmm what else?  oh yes lip balm, and comfrey balm for more medicinal purposes.  I did find a recipe for mascara (my only 'make up') but not happy with the ingrediants so will keep looking : )

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
Yoga girl...do you just rinse the coconut oil out of your hair after conditioning?  I wonder how that would work with a vinegar rinse suggested by Rural? 

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
Psychomustache...I love the Crunchy Betty website!  Thanks for posting it as she has a ton of great (and some odd) ideas.  :)

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:23:46 AM »
Snow White - I have found Jojoba Oil a great substitute for many beauty items I used to buy. It's great on skin, hair, scalp, nails, and as a lip moisturizer, a few drops go a long way.  I could just kick myself for all of the money I have spent on beauty products. Now that I have either eliminated or found comparable homemade items with less harmful chemicals, I love bypassing the whole beauty section of the store. My skin and pocketbook are looking awesome!

the other posters are right, Crunchy Betty is a great site to get ideas. I would suggest just investing in one or two favorite quality essential oils to start, don't go crazy at first because those essential oils can really add up money-wise.  Also, look into the Oil Cleansing Method on the site, that eliminates face wash and moisturizer if the OCM works for your skin type. 

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

Otherwise I too am exploring this, and people recommend the site Crunchy Betty http://www.crunchybetty.com/

The Crunchy Better site is awesome! I have an avocado in the fridge ready to bite the dust and there is a perfect recipe for a hand moisturizing cream!

I concur that homemade bath salts are the best. I'll never use bubble bath again!

blueeyetea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
I use baking soda as an exfoliant for my face, just put into your hand, add a few drops of water to make a paste.  For the body, you can use salt, baking soda and/or sugar.  Whatever I have on hand.  Again, I just pour into a bowl and take in the shower with me and rub on my skin.  If you don't mind the oily mess in your tub, you can mix the salt and sugar with oil to moisturize your skin at the same time.    The oil you can use is Sweet Almond Oil (also good for bath oil), but shop around for the best price.   In my area, it's cheaper to buy it at the natural food store then the pharmacy.   

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
Learn to love bar soap (real soap, not el cheapo chemical soap).  It doesn't dry out your skin so you can use it to replace your facial cleanser, body cleaners, etc.  Real soap also lathers well enough to use as shaving cream.

I make my own deodorant - a version of this: http://www.crunchybetty.com/solving-the-worlds-deodorant-crisis-a-new-soothing-recipe

I tried the shampoo bars and the baking soda/vinegar thing with my hair but it didn't work very well.  I found a store that has bulk shampoo and conditioner and content myself with SLS free product.

My "beauty" arsenal includes: shampoo, conditioner, soap, baking soda (as a face scrub/exfoliant), mascara, under-eye concealer, and lip gloss. That's it.  I have two eye shadows and a powder foundation for when I want to get all dolled up, a few miscellaneous ingredients for masks, etc., but I use only those products on a daily basis.  Once I learned that I still looked good with less make up it was easy.

I took the brave step of cutting my own hair for the first time this weekend (I had some spare length just in case).  I surprised myself at how much I liked it.

Disclaimer: I was never the girl to dye her hair or get my nails done.  I air dry my hair because I can't be bothered to use the hair dryer and don't own nail polish. 

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
I think making homemade products can be fun, but in reality I use very little.  I use a salt block deodorant, Dove soap, Suave knock-off for Nexxus Therappe shampoo and conditioner. Trader Joes sunblock.  Cover Girl Outlast lipstick.  Coconut oil for moisturizing.  That's about it.  Oh, henna for hair color.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »
Rice flour is also good for exfoliation similar to someone above who suggested baking soda. (mix a few tsp rice flour with just enough water to make a paste) Recommended by my dermatologist, gentle enough to use on your face, and smells pretty nice too! I think I found it in the Asian food section of my regular grocery store, although it may have been the rice section. My small box has lasted me a long time so I've forgotten.

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »
I have been using two parts brown sugar plus one part olive oil for a facial exfoliant.   

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
I find just regular olive oil makes a wonderful moisturizer. I've exema on my hands, and it works nearly as well as my prescription cortisone cream.

I had no idea the cider rinse could be so dilute! I've been sending money down the drain. o_O

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Best, easiest body scrub in the world:

a few tables spoons of kosher salt + enough cheap olive oil to make it into a drippy paste + a few drops of essential oils if I am feeling fancy

Rub it all over in the shower first thing and then wash as you normally would.  Amazing how soft it makes your skin.  You can also do this with coconut oil and brown sugar and cut it into cubes if you want to make a lot at once, but it is so easy to mix up a little dish before a shower that I don't bother with it.

Word of warning- it will make your tub kinda slippery for a bit, so use some caution :)

I also use olive oil as a pre-treatment on my hair before I wash and condition.  I put it on before I get in the shower and let it sit for a few minutes.  I  have long, thick, dry hair and focus on the shoulders down.  Not sure how this would work on thinner hair!

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 05:34:28 AM »
I do like my homemade scrub salt:

2 part salt (i like the coarse sea salt)
1 part oil (any oil you like that'll keep a while works)
Lemon rind finely ground
Chopped up fresh herbs (both of these just as much or little you like)

Smells great and will keep for months. Pluss, if I use it after shaving my legs I'm never bothered by those pesky ingrown hairs that could otherwise be an issue.

Also I use the rock deodorant. Not homemeade in any way, but after buying one for 1-2 $ I'm set for (at least) 10 years!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
My routine is:

- I do the baking soda/ white vinegar thing with my hair instead of shampoo. I wash it about every 5 days in winter, or every 10 or so in summer... basically when it starts to get greasy. White vinegar is better for my hair than apple cider. I add some rose water or orange blossom water to the vinegar/water mix (not too much!) and my hair smells faintly rosy/floral for days afterwards. If I exercise heaps I will rinse in cold water in between washes. However if I am working all day with sheep or goats (which occasionally happens) then I will use a very small amount of shampoo. I occasionally oil the tips of my hair with coconut oil or macadamia oil (which I have on hand for cooking anyway) if I feel I have over-shampooed and my hair is dry.

- Crunchy Betty's homemade deoderant. The original one with baking soda works fine for me (even though I have delicate skin).

- Raw honey for cleansing. Occasional oatmeal scrubs and baking soda scrubs.

- Homemade soap (Down to earth's recipe-- olive oil/coconut oil) which lathers nicely. I go through this at a snail's pace.

- Sugaring for hair control of legs and bikini line (I use cheaper, non-raw honey for this) and mop up any stray hairs with a razor if it's too bad.. I have a go at my armpits in summer too (ouch!).

- Coconut oil for body moisturising, including feet (as it keeps tinea under control in the humid months)

Personally I tried the coconut/sugar or salt scrub and could never quite get the oil off the textured concrete shower floor so I've let that one go...

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
I forgot that I had started this thread and have to laugh at my reluctance to give up pedicures! I haven't had them since I started reading MMM and now I don't miss the "service" at all and can't believe how much money I used to spend on grooming. 

I am now using a number of the suggestions posted here and I am looking forward to adding rose water to my vinegar rinse as suggested by Stripey...that sounds lovely.  I've gotten used to the vinegar smell but rose or orange would be preferable.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
I wonder if you couldn't just leave orange peels sitting in it, to make an 'infused vinegar', rather than paying for flower water.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
Yep you could. If you look up orange citrus cleaner on the internet you'll see that's what people do. Doesn't smell the same as blossom water though. Plus, I have it on hand for cooking... Is relatively cheap, and consumed at a snail's pace... Obviously I need to do more middle eastern cooking!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »
I use baking soda for washing and apple cider for rinsing my hair every 2-3 days.

Use Dr Bronners (diluted in foaming dispenser) as body wash

Oil wash face

Make my own body and lip balm: 4 parts olive oil to one part bees wax (bought in bulk from amazon): melt in microwave, mix, and pour into tins

Use the above balm on the ends of my hair on occasion to smooth it and make it piecey, also use a spray bottle of acv and water to smooth/shine it in morning (shower at night every 2-3 days)

Make all-over body lotion by adding 2 parts water to the balm recipe before microwaving, then letting cool until just warm and blending with beaters until whipped

Face scrub: salt with just enough olive oil to make it into a paste

Cut my own hair (pony tail method)

Don't color my hair, but lighten with lemon juice in the summer when feel like it

I think that's about it....The products I still use that are not homemade are: antiperspirant (too scared to try), razor blades (Delco website- maker of the $1 shaving club blades), tweezers for eyebrows etc, Tom's toothpaste (might look into just trying baking soda with sonicare toothbrush I have), and wear makeup when I'm in the mood (bare minerals only, buy one gift set from QVC each Nov when they have their holiday deal).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:08:52 PM by Emilyngh »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
I am trying to transition to mostly homemade. I love the Crunchy Betty deodorant recipe. I highly recommend it to anyone. Over the last few years, I noticed I was getting stinkier and stinkier. I  tried the rock, Toms, traditional deodorant, and then finally the (nearly) Rx deodorant. I have sensitive skin, and the deodorant/anti-perspirants were really doing a number on me. I tried the Crunchy Betty recipe, and after a few days my skin felt so much better and the stink hasn't been back once.

I have used baking soda as a quick face scrub. I also make sugar scrubs. I've been making homemade shaving cream that I absolutely adore.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »
My new favorite beauty product is avocado oil. Aaah it's so good! I've been using it as a body moisturizer, as a cuticle treatment, as a makeup remover, and as a hot oil treatment for my hair. Usually every winter my skin is super dry and flaky all over, and my hair is a crazy static-y mess, but this has been helping so much. Works way better than coconut oil for me.

I just got a bottle of it at the grocery store (organic, refined) but I might try unrefined when this bottle is through. Here's where I read about it:
http://prettyinprimal.blogspot.com/2013/06/avocado-oil-beauty-magic-in-bottle.html

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »
I just so happened to stumble upon this website this morning: http://www.homemadehomeideas.com/36-amazing-homemade-beauty-products/

There is a dry shampoo recipe I might need to try...

TGod

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
I've been having some pretty crazy dry scalp for the last year so I switched to a home made shampoo and I LOVE IT. It's super lathery and all it is equal measure of coconut milk (I use the canned stuff) and dr bronner's castile soap. I'll make a batch using a 1/2 can of coco milk (the rest for dinner that night) and the equivalent amount of dr bronners lavender soap. Throw it in an old shampoo bottle, shake it up and squeeze it on. It is great. Honestly the lather is insane.

I also then spray with a apple cider/water mixture which really helps the scalp.

I also like to use the coconut oil on my skin as a moisturizer but our house is always on the chilly side so I end up scraping it out with my nails and it bugs me. I took a cup of it, added a few old vitamin e capsules (cut them open and squeezed them in) a few drops of lavender oil and whipped it up using my hand beater (you could use a mixer too), for about 5 minutes and put it in a mason jar. It's still a bit granular before you put it on your skin, but it's much lighter, more like a cream and easier to apply.  Plus it smells great. Coco-lavender.

TGod

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Yeah, Mom to 5, the straight up Dr Bronners doesn't lather much and I've found it is hard to get it through the hair. Adding in the coco milk takes it to a whole new level tho :)

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »
I used this recipe:
    1/4 c. baking soda
    1/4 c. cornstarch or arrowroot powder (I used arrowroot, but I am going to try it with cornstarch)
    5 Tbsp. coconut oil
    Essential Oil - I used peppermint and a few drops of tea tree

I made a half batch and I still haven't used it up (I am getting close!), and it's been a few months. So, this stuff lasts.

I am going to try the soothing recipe next: http://www.crunchybetty.com/solving-the-worlds-deodorant-crisis-a-new-soothing-recipe

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
Mom to 5 - I like the idea of adding the shea butter.

As far as gifts go - I am planning on making this recipe for shaving cream: http://www.homemademommy.net/2013/07/all-natural-homemade-shaving-cream.html

It is a great multi-purpose gift because it is also a great skin lotion, massage cream, pre-wash hair conditioner, cuticle cream...etc. And it works like a charm as a shaving cream!