Author Topic: DIY Ergonomic Chair  (Read 7877 times)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
DIY Ergonomic Chair
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:02:19 AM »
I did a google search for cheap ergonomic home office chairs and found this site:

http://jonaquino.blogspot.com/2005/10/do-it-yourself-aeron-ergonomic-chair.html

This is my kind of mustachian guy! I think I'll try it.

madhadron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: DIY Ergonomic Chair
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »
I can one up that: get rid of your chair and stand up. I finally gave up tweaking the ergonomic chair I had at work a couple years ago, plopped my monitor on my computer chassis and my keyboard on a convenient cardboard box, and never looked back.

You can build a standing desk for yourself really easily and cheaply. First, stand upright with your arms at your side. Bend your elbows to ninety degrees. Have someone measure the distance from your forearm to the ground. This is the height for your desktop. If you've never had a desk designed at exactly the right height for you before, you're in for a treat. However, it does mean that each person needs their own desk. My desk height is 43". My girlfriend's is 41". I have to pile books on hers to use it.

I built ours by ripping desktops off of a solid core door that we had sitting around, then going down to Home Depot and finding the cheapest decent, unwarped lumber I could find, which turned out to be 8' 2x2 pickets for $1.50 a piece. I had to go through the whole pile to find clean, straight ones. I cut legs out of these (desktop height - thickness of door, obviously). I also got 2 angle brackets and 2 flat brackets for each leg. The legs go on the bottom of the desktop, flush to the corner. The angle brackets go on the two sides into the desktop, and the flat brackets go on the other two sides and the sides of the desktop. I've found that this is stable enough not to need cross pieces.

VanishingPoint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Progressive Simplicity
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:51:12 AM »
Madhadron, that sounds fantastic. Any chance you could post a pic?

madhadron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
Here's mine, though I haven't gotten around to installing the flat brackets on the outside of the legs.

Sherriscott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:22:25 PM »
That looks great idea. Easy and no money.