Author Topic: Help me measure for a new window  (Read 2249 times)

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
Help me measure for a new window
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »
Hey all-

I have an old, inefficient window above my sink. It has two vertical panels that crank open, but the cranks barely work. I'd like to replace them, but I'm not sure how to measure for a new window. I'd like to replace it with a vanilla double hung window, and I know that this isn't out of my abilities.

I've attached some pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help me measure for a new window
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:50 PM »
That's a double casement.  Anyway, pull the trim and measure the rough opening in the framing, get a window that will fit inside the rough opening.  Should be something like 3' wide by 4' tall, or some variation of 2" increments.  Older windows had odd sizes, new vinyl windows are pretty standard.  For vinyl, a 4040 window fits inside a 48" x 48" opening.  4040 means 4 feet 0 inches wide, 4 feet 0 inches tall.  A 4046 is 4'0" wide and 4'6" tall, etc.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
Thanks - does anyone know if the sill is part of the 'rough opening'. I guess I'm trying to figure out how much of the window I'm going to need to pull out when measuring and putting in a new one.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Help me measure for a new window
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:18:27 AM »
I'll agree with above to remove all the trim and measure the rough opening.  Take that measurement and subtract 1/2" for each side and top/ bottom.

Vinyl windows can be ordered to the exact size you need.  I would not  try putting an off shelf HD or lowes window into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
You are going to replace two windows... because the "cranks" don't work? Why not just fix (or remove) the cranks?

Chances are that, with a bit of maintenance, your old windows will outlive any plastic replacements and save you the outlay.  Financial and environmental benefits!

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

It's not just the cranks. they're old, wooden windows. you can feel the air passing through them. I can't find screen's that fit them, so I can't open them without letting bugs in. I could go on.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
The sill is part of the window frame, that comes out with the window.  When you have the window frame out, you'll see 2x4 or 2x6 framing and the edges of the drywall and siding.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!