Author Topic: Help me fix this spinner (stationary) bike  (Read 4024 times)

mcneally

• Bristles
Help me fix this spinner (stationary) bike
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
A friend gave me this spinner bike when he moved last year and I think it's a great piece of equipment (retail is >$1,000). However recently I started using it in a standing position, which was apparently too much stress for it and the bolt that attaches the right pedal broke. I am completely mechanically incompetent, but I got a friend to remove the broken bolt and try to use a tap and die set to replace the bolt. Then the tap snapped off, which my friend says he has no hope of removing.

I found the manufacturer's parts site, but I'm not sure if what I need is listed. http://multisportsfitness.com/endurocycle-650-parts.html

'BB set' and 'crank bolt' are the two items that I don't know what they are. Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'm personally unlikely to be able to answer any (even seemingly simple) questions you may have. If I can't get this fixed I'll end up buying a new used one on CL.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help me fix this spinner (stationary) bike
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
Bb set is the axle and bearings that are in the machine

Crank bolt is the screw that hold the crank arm (big piece that's sitting on the floor in you picture) to the bb set.

A bike shop would likely be the best place to maybe find a cheaper fix. It depends on if the machine uses standard bike parts, or if the are unique to the machine.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
If the tap and or bolt are broken inside the axle of the bb set, either get them out somehow and then get a new crank bolt, or you'll need to get a replacement bb.

Do not pay $60 for a bb from the mfg!!!!!  (Facepunch)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-un55-square-taper-bottom-bracket/rp-prod71369

A Bikeshop will have the parts and tools to do the job if your not up to it.  They'll  also need to measure the bb.

Otherwise, you'll need a bb tool to get it out. One of the sides is reverse threads!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/park-tool-bottom-bracket-tool-bbt22/rp-prod17704

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »
Crank bolts.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/clarks-allen-key-crank-bolts/rp-prod120387

I suspect the crank arm came off because you were riding with a loose bolt, not because you were standing.  Standing is very normal on a bike.

Get yourself a metric Allen key set and keep your bolts tight.  That applies to all bolts on all your bikes!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache

mcneally

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
Hi Heckler, thank you for creating an account to help me!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
hey, I know bikes.  :)

and it was about time I stopped lurking here and started giving back how I can.  MMM has helped me so much in the last 5 months (We invested $10K to RRSP since July, when before MMM it was 1/3 of that in the same time)

Rage

• Stubble
  • Eat the Horses
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
I would be absolutely shocked if that thing was compatible with any sort of standard bottom bracket.  You usually can't even mount a standard bike seat on those stationary bikes without a $100 adapter from the manufacturer.

And the worst part is, because they don't use standard parts, they're more prone to failure, because these manufacturers aren't masters at making bottom brackets and cranks the way, say, Shimano is.

As for solving the problem, I see that the whole bottom bracket and bottombracket shell assembly appears to be welded into the frame.  Can such a thing be de-welded?

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
I dunno Rage, I see a square taper axle and a similar internal spline tool that Shimano uses to hold in the BB.  Only way to find out is hit up a bike shop.

Rage

• Stubble
  • Eat the Horses
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
Assuming it's a standard BB, it would be easier to take the BB to the bike shop than the entire bike. 

There's a tool called a bottom bracket removal tool.  I have one that looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Bicycle-Shimano-Bracket-Removal/dp/B00811WQJS

And if it is a standard BB, you should be able to buy and install a new one.  Boom done.