Author Topic: Help installing click lock laminate "hardwood" flooring  (Read 2298 times)

Shropskr

• Stubble
Help installing click lock laminate "hardwood" flooring
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:58:07 PM »
So I went to lay the first row.  Finally!!!  But it ended about 3 inches short no pieces under 12 inches is my understanding. So I cut the privious board shorter but this makes two solid pieces hit together. No tongue and grove.

Is this a problem? Should I have put wood glue in the joint? Am I just over thinking it?  Does anyone know?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Help installing click lock laminate "hardwood" flooring
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:39:07 AM »
Shift the whole row over and put another cut piece where you started?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »
Cut the first piece in the row down on the end that butts up next to the wall.  These floors must have the tongue and grove ends together.  Butt joints are a terrible idea. 

Lay out a few other rows with different start lengths to make sure you don't run into the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
Thank you all.  We pulled the two rows we had done and redid it.  No butt butt joints. 

Thx for the help

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »
Also, don't just start every row with whatever drop off you have from the previous one. This starts a weird stair step pattern that can look pretty bad, especially if the joints are fairly close.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
About to start my own laminate project in the next week or two.  Good luck with the rest!

younggunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
It's ok to have a piece under 12 inches at the end..

I have also used SOME of my cutoffs as starters for another row (even if under 12")    In some whole house installs, it may become difficult lining up every joint from multiple rooms and hallways if you are trying to keep the joints in a line.  Plus, most laminate floors you cannot see the joints if installed properly.