Author Topic: Having Fun with Food Swaps  (Read 3938 times)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
Having Fun with Food Swaps
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
As I was getting ready for my next local food swap, I was thinking, its a pretty mustachian venture.

http://www.foodswapnetwork.com/

Basically you bring a selection of homemade or homegrown items, and swap them for others with local folks.
Its a nice way to get some variety, some new things youve never tried, meet local people and have fun.

Ive gone to 4 in the last year. I always come home with a bunch of fun stuff.

No money changes hands, its all swapping.

Slightly different are Soup Swap Parties, and I throw one (or two) of those every year.
http://soupswap.com/

Anybody else doing food swaps?

N

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Having Fun with Food Swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
That looks fun, but none listed in Albuquerque.  and I don't have the time or ambition to start one myself.

Rekreativc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »
This looks like such a neat idea. Unfortunately my country isn't even listed on foodswapnetwork :( I know it in central europe, but still... wish we could join in on the party :)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:28 PM »
if you feel called to start your own, they have guidelines on how to get started. its all Do It Yourself! :)
I have friends who do a more cooperative type of swap, its smaller, between themselves and not open to strangers. It could be as simple as a monthly (or once a year!) barter.

For the soup swap parties Ive had, its usually been 7-9 people and mostly from my homeschool group. I havent opened it up to more people, just emailed my friends! :) but it was fun to try new soups I dont usually make.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
I love this idea, thanks for sharing!

When I lived in Turkey it was very common for everyone to get together and spend a day socializing and making a big batch of something for everyone to take home for their families. Great chance to visit and be productive.

Also whenever you went and visited a friend or neighbor you would bring a little something homemade. Made for a very informal but efficient exchange of food:)

I like these Ideas, and I can definitely see the use as a couple with no kids who love to make food items (which only makes sense to do in big batches)  but doesn't want to be eating one type of jam for the next three years.

Might see if I can drum up some interest in one here!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
I think the getting-together-with-friends idea is more beneficial than the public swaps in some cases.  I followed the links and found the Mpls swap, complete with website and beautiful blog, had been shut down by the state health dept in late 2011.  Better to keep this one under the radar in that case!  I'd still totally do one!  One girlfriend and I did the frozen soup idea a few years ago.  Worked out well!

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:37:04 PM »
I had found the MPLS one too and it was 1 month after it was shut down by the state. Not for any issues with that particular swap but for bartering without a license. So technically if I swap tomatoes from my garden with my neighbor, that's illegal. It makes me mad that the state thinks that they can interfere with people trading food. It's part of why I've gotten interested in local politics.