Author Topic: Hardwood Floor planks on stairs  (Read 6258 times)

Gubmints

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • GubMints | Personal Finance for Federal Employees and Veterans
Hardwood Floor planks on stairs
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
Anybody done this?

I've installed hardwood teak plank flooring downstairs (the REAL h/w, not laminate, not veneer, not click-together) using a glue-down install on the concrete slab.

Looks awesome, but it cost me 10 days of my life in the crouch position, covered with toxic chocolatey glue.

The carpeting on the stairs is now skanky and is in need of replacement- has anyone done hardwood planks on stairs?  14 stairs overall, plus a 5x5 landing half way down. 

Is this going to be more/less of a pain than the glue-down on concrete?  The brochure says the planks can be nailed down or glued.  Also note that the last 2 stairs stick out in to the room and have the 1/4 circle on each end.  Not sure how I would find toe/trim molding for this.

Thanks in advance, you Tom Selleck wannabes!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Hardwood Floor planks on stairs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
Anybody done this?

I've installed hardwood teak plank flooring downstairs (the REAL h/w, not laminate, not veneer, not click-together) using a glue-down install on the concrete slab.

Looks awesome, but it cost me 10 days of my life in the crouch position, covered with toxic chocolatey glue.

The carpeting on the stairs is now skanky and is in need of replacement- has anyone done hardwood planks on stairs?  14 stairs overall, plus a 5x5 landing half way down. 

Is this going to be more/less of a pain than the glue-down on concrete?  The brochure says the planks can be nailed down or glued.  Also note that the last 2 stairs stick out in to the room and have the 1/4 circle on each end.  Not sure how I would find toe/trim molding for this.

Thanks in advance, you Tom Selleck wannabes!
Welcome!  Geez, I can't even imagine Tom Selleck without a mustache.  I wonder if he carries "accidental shaving" insurance.

When it comes to stairs, either wood or carpet, I've learned to call in the pros.  They actually charge by the step instead of by the hour.  Too much finicky detail that can quickly look amateurish or even become downright dangerous.

Another debate is whether you want the wood on the stairs to float or to be anchored in place by the glue.  I don't know which is better, but I bet that "sound-mounted" steps don't reverberate through the house whenever someone uses them.

Finally, the foot traffic is eventually going to leave wear marks on the steps.  You may end up installing a sacrificial carpet runner over the steps to protect them from scuffs and high heels.  If that's the case, is it even worth going with hardwood? 

RIVERMAN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Boxes should be looked at from the outside
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »
ive installed woodfloors and I would suggest nailing the wood on the stairs. The only problem is that is requires a special nail/or staple gun. The nose of the step can be used with the wood planks and routered. The only thing you need to worry about is if the flooring is prefinished or not. Not a job I would recommend for a novice. There are u tube vids too that could help if your determined.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
Geez, I can't even imagine Tom Selleck without a mustache.  I wonder if he carries "accidental shaving" insurance.

It is strange.  There was a few "Friends" episodes where he played Richard and had shaved.

Here's some other examples.
http://monsieurf.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/14/tom_selleck_2_2.jpg
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1999_The_Love_Letter/tom_selleck_the_love_letter_001.jpg

Looks like a totally different person.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
Geez, I can't even imagine Tom Selleck without a mustache.  I wonder if he carries "accidental shaving" insurance.

It is strange.  There was a few "Friends" episodes where he played Richard and had shaved.

Here's some other examples.
http://monsieurf.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/14/tom_selleck_2_2.jpg
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1999_The_Love_Letter/tom_selleck_the_love_letter_001.jpg

Looks like a totally different person.

My dad has always had a mustache. He went through a mini-mid-life crisis when I was in my early 20s and he shaved it off. I asked him to grow it back for my wedding so he would look like my dad in all of my wedding photos. He obliged and never shaved it off again. Yay Dad!